Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

christinejarvis21
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Dec 2020, 3:49 pm

What would be the best type of bras for women with autism? Would bandeaus or bras the best type?

RTAorNot
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Dec 2020, 4:49 pm

I don't see how being autistic changes the most suitable bra

christinejarvis21
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Dec 2020, 4:55 pm

My skin is just super sensitive to the material and a lot of times it feels like I’m being constructed especially with underwire

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2020, 7:56 am

That would probably depend on your size and shape. "Women with autism" have a variety of bodies just like NT women. My only tips is to try on bras before you buy them. Make sure they fit as well as possible and are made of smooth material (no lace). Ill-fitted bras are never comfortable.

For me personally I only wear a bra when I go out. At home I'm bra-free. Not wearing bras do not cause sagging in case you're concerned. Boobs will sag bra or no bra. :)

Lunella
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2020, 2:48 pm

Fully fabric bras - they aren't irritating, no wire mesh in them or plastic. Easy to wash as well.

TricksR4Kids
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Dec 2020, 11:24 pm

Bandeau's are good for a smaller build or very casual support for those with larger chests. I'm partial to bralettes that don't have underwire. Kim Kardashian's SKIMS brand typifies the style that is seamless and feels more like a second skin.

DesertWitch
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 Dec 2020, 9:09 pm

I've solved my bra sensory issues by switching to camisoles with built in shelf bra. That's all the support I need. Pact Clothing makes them with the elastic in the shelf bra fully enclosed in the fabric, unlike Hanes and Froot of the Loom, which helps with irritation as I am sensitive to the latex in elastic.

https://wearpact.com/women/apparel/tops ... a1-wcb-blk

I'm also very temperature sensitive, so I tend to wear layers that I can add and remove as needed throughout the day. My cami is perfectly acceptable to wear by itself if I get too warm.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2020, 3:12 am

I do not wear a bra ever because I hate them. I have a B cup. For support I simply keep my chest muscles developed by lifting weight, specifically, bench pressing.

petraA
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Jan 2021, 5:34 am

I haven't worn a bra in 2020 and I don't know if I'll be able to go back... I remember the arguments my mom used to have with me when I was going through puberty trying to convince me to wear one in the first place... I might judt modify any tops that need one to have built in support / cover.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2021, 6:25 am

Autistic women vary widely in what kinds of sensory issues we do or do not have, which would be a factor in our choice of bra.

Personally, I've been wearing nothing but sports bras since I discovered their existence sometime in my late thirties. I need them to be made out of some highly breathable fabric that will absorb sweat.

CherryTomato
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Feb 2021, 6:05 pm

I stopped wearing them in jr. high unless I'm doing a workout that involves running. I'm at least a C cup (it's hard to know for sure when I haven't measured in years) and I wear a vest to mute the shape. (Although I do wish society would be more comfortable with natural shapes so this wouldn't be necessary.) Since I stopped wearing them at a young age and have done weight training/swimming, my muscles are strong enough to support my breasts on their own. I will say the first few months without a bra were kind of bouncy, but then my muscles got stronger!

It's made a huge difference. Before I stopped, my senses were so overwhelmed I'd have issues with hearing and concentrating at school. I also avoided leaving the house just so I wouldn't have to wear one (type didn't matter - I've tried bandeaus, sports, wireless, and traditional bras). Not wearing them has been a tremendous help to my school and social lives.

Aero_T
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Mar 2021, 8:25 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
Autistic women vary widely in what kinds of sensory issues we do or do not have, which would be a factor in our choice of bra.

Personally, I've been wearing nothing but sports bras since I discovered their existence sometime in my late thirties. I need them to be made out of some highly breathable fabric that will absorb sweat.

This^

My life changed for the better after a trip to Africa when we were advised ot wear sports bras on safari. I never properly realised what daily discomfort I was putting myself through.

I have quite large breasts and going braless will give me back and neck ache so that isn't an option. Underwired bras are painful and i react with a rash to a lot of bras. There are a number of really comfortabel sports bras though and my life is better.

What is weird is that we put up wth discomfort like this because presenting as attractively as possible is a norm. Attractive to whom? Who does that benefit?

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2021, 3:42 pm

I haven’t been wearing a bra lately because I have a very painful swollen spot on my left breast. I don’t have sensory issues to any clothing item to be honest.

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

ImeldaJace
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2021, 3:32 pm

I agree that it can really depend on the individual.

I wish I could go bra less sometimes, but I'm petite with an H cup size, so that really isn't an option for me. I've been working on finding the "perfect" bra for me recently because I'd been wearing the same bra since high school. I've been having a hard time because one will feel super comfortable in the store but then I'll hate it once I get home. Then I'll try and wear it a few times to see if I just need to get used to it and then I discover that no, it's just really uncomfortable. I've gone a couple times to a locally owned bra store that does fittings. Last time I was there I mentioned autism in the middle of the fitting and the lady immediately trotted off to grab the one that in her experience ladies with sensory issues tend to prefer. The band is wide, the fabric is like butter, and there is no lace or anything on any part that touches the skin. That one's been my favorite of the new ones. The brand is Wacoal and it turns out that it's the same brand as the ones I'd been wearing since high school.

sorrowfairiewhisper
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2021, 6:22 am

I avoid sports bra where it crosses at the back especially if theirs no parting or adjusting extender. They tend to rise at the back and it’s a nightmare to get over your head too when pulling them on or off.

I like t shirt bras or any other bras though. Full cup ect ,Adjustable straps, adjustable extender.