Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

OldBird314
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Dec 2020, 7:59 pm

I’m a lonely (antiquated) autodidact who failed out of school. I’m a complete loser. However, I’m passionate about math and I’m currently studying real analysis, complex analysis and measure theory. Does anyone know where I can find groups of people (online) who are similar? I’m looking for people to study math with who won’t make fun of me, and who like to learn new concepts. This may be better placed in another forum but I thought I’d try here.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2020, 8:07 pm

Welcome.

Maths is odd for me as I think in pictures so I tend to not be so good at deep thought in mathematical subjects, and I have forgotten lots as I only retain bits if I use them.
I'm even worse in languages.

But anything to do with trains and railways or bicycles.... Or even cars... Things like that and I am happier in.

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2020, 8:22 pm

OldBird314 wrote:
I’m a lonely (antiquated) autodidact who failed out of school. I’m a complete loser. However, I’m passionate about math and I’m currently studying real analysis, complex analysis and measure theory. Does anyone know where I can find groups of people (online) who are similar? I’m looking for people to study math with who won’t make fun of me, and who like to learn new concepts. This may be better placed in another forum but I thought I’d try here.

a friend of mine does free and paid online courses which involve a great deal of math
i believe one of the courses is from MIT
I believe there is a forum there too.

Hope that helps

tensordyne
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Dec 2020, 5:47 am

You are not a complete loser (banish that talk!). You are a human who always deserves respect and compassion :!: 8O

I understand all too well where you are coming from though. Math people are often insular to the point of being hermit-like. If you want to private message me on anything math related, I will do my best to respond and be your math friend. Other than that, I am not aware of any online groups to more directly answer your question.

Cheers!

TatjanaErika
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Dec 2020, 7:59 am

Hi,
I used to study maths on my own through entire high school, especially calculus has been my little passion. Now, I have enough maths at university so I don't do it as a hobby but I still enjoy solving problems. I would like to be your friend.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2020, 2:05 pm

Some Aspies possess a unique skill and that is called pattern matching. Those individuals with this attribute tend to do well in math. Here is a simple test to see if you have that trait.

So if you score very high on this simple test, then it may show that you have this quality. If that is the case then there is an organization made just for you. The organization is called Mensa. But they are very selective and require that you pass a unique pattern matching test in order to gain membership.

Here is one example of a Mensa tests.

Mensa IQ Test Practice

crstlgls
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Aug 2021, 7:56 pm

I have been studying Calculus and am about to go into my third class of it. I also love the chemistry and physics, though I haven't quite done physics yet. I do have 2 chemistry classes, however.

crstlgls
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Aug 2021, 7:57 pm

I have been studying Calculus and am about to go into my third class of it. I also love the chemistry and physics, though I haven't quite done physics yet. I do have 2 chemistry classes, however.