Page 2 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2020, 1:08 pm

Pepe wrote:
MrsPeel wrote:
I've never felt comfortable with "they" or any of the non-binary pronouns.

In one way it is a power-play.
It depends on the person.

Avoid obnoxious people.
Problem solved. :wink:

There are consequences for bad attitudes. 8)

People have the right to use whatever pronouns they want.

They don't have the right to assume everyone knows them and knows their pronouns.

Even cis people.

It's like assuming everyone knows your name.

Celebs are arrogant though, they would be outraged if someone didn't know who they are!

StayFrosty
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2020, 3:57 pm

I'm a snowman, And anyone who mentions anything warm around me, I will call them out on their microaggressions!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2020, 4:03 pm

StayFrosty wrote:
I'm a snowman, And anyone who mentions anything warm around me, I will call them out on their microaggressions!
I have learned to live with not being addressed as "Your Eminence" on this and many other websites.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2020, 4:14 pm

I don't think it's unreasonable to call someone an incorrect pronoun if you don't have a way to know better. If they correct you, all you can do is apologize and address them as they wish to be addressed in the future.

My gender is [something], but if I do end up identifying as [something else], then I don't think I'll jump all over someone for misgendering me if they don't know me and aren't doing it out of ill intent. It sucks, but it isn't necessarily their fault. This is easy for me to say though as I've never been misgendered, much less repeatedly over many years. It's understandable for someone to get upset even if the other person didn't have much way of knowing they were using the wrong pronouns--just because it can get so tiring and depressing when you go your whole life dealing with it. I try not to get defensive if someone gets pissed at me for misgendering them even if I couldn't tell, because it's damn hard out there to be trans or nb.

Most of the time you can shoot from the hip and address people based on their 'apparent' gender, but there are plenty of things you can tell at a glance to determine what pronouns the person might prefer. I'm queer, so my queer radar/gaydar makes it much easier to tell when someone is trans or non-binary but I get that others aren't going to be as good at doing that from lack of first-hand experience.

Δυνατὰ δὲ οἱ προύχοντες πράσσουσι καὶ οἱ ἀσθενεῖς ξυγχωροῦσιν.
Those with power do what their power permits, and the weak can only acquiesce.

- Thucydides

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2020, 4:43 pm

Fnord wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
... unless they wear a pronoun on their shirt, no one has a way of knowing.
Exactly.

And why is it important to "represent" for their particular identity, anyway?  For example: As a white, gynotropic, middle-class cis-male with an MSEE, a pretty Asian wife, a female black cat named 'Naia', an Amateur Radio license, and membership in the Freemasons, I believe that labels are both pointless and tedious.

:wink: See my point?

Seriously though, how often do we have real-life conversations in which we are required to use any and every means possible to identify ourselves before saying something like, "I agree with your opinion"?

If someone kept referring to you as a she or her and kept trying to misgender you knowing full well know you are actually a man, how would that make you feel?

This is how it feels for a transgender person but on a daily basis. But many of us don't feel the need to identify as our gender because we don't have a gender dysphoria. Our gender has never been challenged. No one questions if you are ever a male.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2020, 4:46 pm

KT67 wrote:
Pepe wrote:
MrsPeel wrote:
I've never felt comfortable with "they" or any of the non-binary pronouns.

In one way it is a power-play.
It depends on the person.

Avoid obnoxious people.
Problem solved. :wink:

There are consequences for bad attitudes. 8)

Celebs are arrogant though, they would be outraged if someone didn't know who they are!

I have known at least one autistic blogger like that and she expects everyone to read everything she had ever written in her blog and know everything about her she has written. I just learned to avoid her and be quiet around her whenever I went to the groups she is in. She was very easy to offend and upset and had Bipolar mood changes. (Not saying she is Bipolar but she can go from being fine to then screaming at you) Yes these people I avoid since they are unpredictable and they can set off any time without warning.

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2020, 5:58 pm

Helicopter jokes and variations of them are boring and cliche at this point rather than just offensive.

It's like the only joke some cis people know about being trans...

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2020, 6:22 pm

cyberdad wrote:
In this era of watching/minding your language; Singer Shawne Mendes got in hot water with fellow pop singer Sam Smith for referring to him at a public event as "him".

https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/c ... 928c2c1623
Mendes has subsquently apologised to Smith who self-identifies as non-binary (uses the pronouns “they, them, and theirs.”) It made me realise I have absolutely no idea of the correct pronouns to use with people unless they introduce themselves as such. Is this appropriate for non-binary people to get angry when a person has no knowledge of the correct pronouns or is it up to us to learn them? I will have to enrol myself into a training course as I don't want to be caught out, and recommend others do the same.

my friend, you can steer around that by consistently using the person's name rather than a pronoun.

StayFrosty
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2020, 6:23 pm

Fnord wrote:
StayFrosty wrote:
I have learned to live with not being addressed as "Your Eminence" on this and many other websites.
I find the Sun very discriminative, Sir!

StayFrosty
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2020, 6:35 pm

I will never bow to no pronoun! I will be rebellious to the end!

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2020, 6:42 pm

StayFrosty wrote:
I will never bow to no pronoun! I will be rebellious to the end!

Do the same for cis people & figure out how long conversations last :lol:

"The individual speaking would like to mention to the individual listening that a man and a woman came in here yesterday, the man said.... the woman said... What does the individual listening think?" :lol:

Everyone has pronouns. Bloody awkward not using them.

Definite articles are most useless part of speech followed by indefinite articles followed by adverbs followed by adjectives. Pronouns, verbs and nouns are pretty always useful.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2020, 8:24 pm

League_Girl wrote:
If someone kept referring to you as a she or her and kept trying to misgender you knowing full well know you are actually a man, how would that make you feel?
Like they were trying to start a fight.  The thing is, because I am a cis-male, being referred to with a feminine pronoun is easily recognized as a low form of harassment by employers, lawyers, and judges, and will likely result in a swift dismissal of a co-worker.
League_Girl wrote:
This is how it feels for a transgender person but on a daily basis. But many of us don't feel the need to identify as our gender because we don't have a gender dysphoria. Our gender has never been challenged. No one questions if you are ever a male.
If someone looks like a cis-male, walks like a cis-male, and talks like a cis-male, that person will likely be called a male, unless someone is either aware of her being a cis-female or someone is trying to start a fight with him.

Now, if I call a stranger "Sir" without knowing that the person identifies as female, and that person starts screaming and shouting and threatening to beat me, I will sic the cops on that person; but if that same person quietly informs me of the preferred gender-pronoun, I will smile, say "Thank you", and go on about my business.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2020, 8:50 pm

Quote:
Like they were trying to start a fight. The thing is, because I am a cis-male, being referred to with a feminine pronoun is easily recognized as a low form of harassment by employers, lawyers, and judges, and will likely result in a swift dismissal of a co-worker.

You're getting it. :D

This is why trans people call it violence and hate speech when you misgender them and refuse to use their pronouns.

There is a difference between a mistake and doing it intentionally. Most of them will correct you nicely. Hopefully the ones who throw a fit and think you did it intentionally are the minority.

StayFrosty
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2020, 9:07 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Quote:
Like they were trying to start a fight. The thing is, because I am a cis-male, being referred to with a feminine pronoun is easily recognized as a low form of harassment by employers, lawyers, and judges, and will likely result in a swift dismissal of a co-worker.
This is why trans people call it violence and hate speech when you misgender them and refuse to use their pronouns.
This is hate speech and violence? Ok.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2020, 9:08 pm

StayFrosty wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
Quote:

how would you feel if people kept calling you "missus"?

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2020, 10:36 pm

auntblabby wrote:
StayFrosty wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
Quote:

how would you feel if people kept calling you "missus"?

Just ignore her. :wink: