A professional name like a doctor?

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2020, 11:28 pm

KT67 wrote:
Pepe wrote:
MrsPeel wrote:
I've never felt comfortable with "they" or any of the non-binary pronouns.

In one way it is a power-play.
It depends on the person.

Avoid obnoxious people.
Problem solved. :wink:

There are consequences for bad attitudes. 8)

People have the right to use whatever pronouns they want.

They don't have the right to assume everyone knows them and knows their pronouns.

Even cis people.

It's like assuming everyone knows your name.

Celebs are arrogant though, they would be outraged if someone didn't know who they are!

Agreed.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2020, 11:29 pm

StayFrosty wrote:
I'm a snowman, And anyone who mentions anything warm around me, I will call them out on their microaggressions!

That comment was warmly received. :mrgreen:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2020, 11:32 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Fnord wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
... unless they wear a pronoun on their shirt, no one has a way of knowing.
Exactly.

And why is it important to "represent" for their particular identity, anyway?  For example: As a white, gynotropic, middle-class cis-male with an MSEE, a pretty Asian wife, a female black cat named 'Naia', an Amateur Radio license, and membership in the Freemasons, I believe that labels are both pointless and tedious.

:wink: See my point?

Seriously though, how often do we have real-life conversations in which we are required to use any and every means possible to identify ourselves before saying something like, "I agree with your opinion"?

If someone kept referring to you as a she or her and kept trying to misgender you knowing full well know you are actually a man, how would that make you feel?

This is how it feels for a transgender person but on a daily basis. But many of us don't feel the need to identify as our gender because we don't have a gender dysphoria. Our gender has never been challenged. No one questions if you are ever a male.

In addition to that, I check every day that my gender hasn't changed in my underpants.
It doesn't hurt to check, right? 8O

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2020, 11:36 pm

Fnord wrote:
StayFrosty wrote:
I'm a snowman, And anyone who mentions anything warm around me, I will call them out on their microaggressions!
I have learned to live with not being addressed as "Your Eminence" on this and many other websites.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=392937#p8672188 8)

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

14 Dec 2020, 2:56 am

I view pronouns a bit like one's name.
Some people have a preference like "Jim" vs "Jimmy" vs "James" and it's good manners to try to use the prefered variation - but if someone insists on being called "Sir Jimophone Count Of Utopia Planitia", it would definitely be an artist's folly.
Forgetting or confusing someone's name happens and, while unpleasant, a mature person would have some tolerance for it.
Intentionally using wrong name or a variation of one's name you know that person hates is a form of picking on them.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

holymackerel
Toucan
Toucan

14 Dec 2020, 3:14 am

Unpopular opinion, but, I don't see why transgender people are not ok with people referring to them by their sex and not their gender. Same with the bathroom debate. If they ask me to call them they I probably will, I am ok with that, I don't want to upset them. I am pretty pc in real life, it just seems a bit pc gone mad if you ask me. Like how are you supposed to know, and is it really better that you have to remind every person you meet, when you could just understand that they are referring to your sex and not your gender and there is no logical reason you should be upset by that. They are not in some way referring to your personality or how you behave. I don't understand why that would be seen as a bad thing.

StayFrosty
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2020, 3:18 am

auntblabby wrote:
StayFrosty wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
Quote:
Like they were trying to start a fight. The thing is, because I am a cis-male, being referred to with a feminine pronoun is easily recognized as a low form of harassment by employers, lawyers, and judges, and will likely result in a swift dismissal of a co-worker.
This is why trans people call it violence and hate speech when you misgender them and refuse to use their pronouns.
This is hate speech and violence? Ok.

how would you feel if people kept calling you "missus"?
I've had people brandish a sword at me, threaten to kill me, physically attack me, So someone calling me a"missus" is the last of my worries. These are the same people who are going after the word"Master". This isn't about fair treatment. This is about wanting to control the status Quo and force everyone to conform their views. In fact, They are turning on each other as we speak.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

14 Dec 2020, 3:51 am

^ Who are "they"?

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2020, 5:13 am

StayFrosty wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
StayFrosty wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
Quote:
Like they were trying to start a fight. The thing is, because I am a cis-male, being referred to with a feminine pronoun is easily recognized as a low form of harassment by employers, lawyers, and judges, and will likely result in a swift dismissal of a co-worker.
This is why trans people call it violence and hate speech when you misgender them and refuse to use their pronouns.
This is hate speech and violence? Ok.

how would you feel if people kept calling you "missus"?
I've had people brandish a sword at me, threaten to kill me, physically attack me, So someone calling me a"missus" is the last of my worries. These are the same people who are going after the word"Master". This isn't about fair treatment. This is about wanting to control the status Quo and force everyone to conform their views. In fact, They are turning on each other as we speak.

Okay ma'am. :wink:

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2020, 5:18 am

I will continue just to use the normal pronouns. If everyone came along and said they want to be referred to as they or it or whatever, I'd never be able to keep them straight.

The strong prosopagnosia doesn't help at all, either.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

14 Dec 2020, 6:33 am

kokopelli wrote:
I will continue just to use the normal pronouns. If everyone came along and said they want to be referred to as they or it or whatever, I'd never be able to keep them straight.

The strong prosopagnosia doesn't help at all, either.

I will keep forgetting people's names.
Not because I want to - I just have awful memory for them.
So, I'll try my best but be prepared for repeating failures.

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2020, 6:39 am

holymackerel wrote:
Unpopular opinion, but, I don't see why transgender people are not ok with people referring to them by their sex and not their gender. Same with the bathroom debate. If they ask me to call them they I probably will, I am ok with that, I don't want to upset them. I am pretty pc in real life, it just seems a bit pc gone mad if you ask me. Like how are you supposed to know, and is it really better that you have to remind every person you meet, when you could just understand that they are referring to your sex and not your gender and there is no logical reason you should be upset by that. They are not in some way referring to your personality or how you behave. I don't understand why that would be seen as a bad thing.

The reason to refer to someone's sex/gender has to do with seeing them as them.

You're essentially seeing someone as their bits when they're trans & have told you their pronouns & you don't use them.

And you're showing that you don't see them as them.

Or even worse - the bits they had as a baby.

I doubt this is even the case tbh. For eg Jordan Peterson had a conversation with Blair White where he claimed he'd go by sex not gender. She said this would be confusing for eg if she was in a cafe and he said 'I'm looking for my friend, he just came in'. So it's more based on if a trans person 'passes' or not.

If Blair White wasn't famous, would anyone really know her sex? I don't think so.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

14 Dec 2020, 6:46 am

In typical social situations, we don't really have information about one's sex - we don't see what one has in their pants and it's, errr... not our business.
We know a person's gender expression. This dictates the "default" pronouns.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2020, 8:31 am

KT67 wrote:
holymackerel wrote:

The reason to refer to someone's sex/gender has to do with seeing them as them.

You're essentially seeing someone as their bits when they're trans & have told you their pronouns & you don't use them.

And you're showing that you don't see them as them.

Or even worse - the bits they had as a baby.

I doubt this is even the case tbh. For eg Jordan Peterson had a conversation with Blair White where he claimed he'd go by sex not gender. She said this would be confusing for eg if she was in a cafe and he said 'I'm looking for my friend, he just came in'. So it's more based on if a trans person 'passes' or not.

If Blair White wasn't famous, would anyone really know her sex? I don't think so.

I have no idea who Blair is. I am still working out what a pro noun is. :D

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2020, 8:51 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
I am still working out what a pro noun is. :D

the opposite of an anti noun?