Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

My thoughts on Pascal's wager is that
I am a theist and I am convinced that God exists without it. 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
I am a theist and I consider the argument compelling, but not the main reason for my faith. 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
I am a theist because I am convinced wholly or nearly wholly by Pascal's wager. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I am an atheist, and I consider Pascal's wager compelling. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I am an atheist, and I don't find Pascal's wager compelling as an honest God wouldn't punish free thought and intellectual freedom. 25%  25%  [ 2 ]
I am an atheist, and I find Pascal's wager slightly compelling. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I am an agnostic and I find Pascal's wager only slightly compelling or not at all. 50%  50%  [ 4 ]
I am an Agnostic and I find Pascal's wager highly compelling. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 8

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2020, 12:58 pm

Udinaas wrote:
Thought expetiments like Roko's Basilisk are the biggest reason that I don't find Pascal's Wager compelling. You can make up anything with the power to infinitely punish, including entities that are mutually exclusive (like the Christian and Muslim versions of God). Even on the assumption that that belief is a choice and that God wouldn't mind if people believed to avoid punishment, you would already have to be leaning towards theism for it to be rational.

Agreed.

The counterfactual, and I think maybe just at the cultural level in the US - I know a lot of nominal Catholics and Christians who, when you ask them about it, are Christians along the lay interpretation of Pascal, ie. 'Just in case' Christians.

I think there's a whole other half of that which they never think about explicitly, ie. church festivals, holidays, and social networks are woven through their lives. Some of them coach CYO sports. In a way you get most of the social advantages of Freemasonry by going to church regularly (helps if you're in the 100 to 105 IQ range - interests, habits, etc. so you additionally fit in socially with the other parishioner), it's just that the psycho-spiritual content you get is even more watered down and it amazes me that so many doctors, lawyers, and accountants effectively pay several thousand dollars a year to break out the crayons and color for an hour or two on the weekends but - that's where the easy social networking is at and, I suppose if one can't be arsed to look into any of it (college football and basketball are way more important), then they may indeed be legit Pascal's Wager Christians on top of that.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2020, 4:22 pm

Tempus Fugit wrote:
Pascal's Wager is based on the God of the Christian faith. So it seems non sequitur to bring other gods and other concepts of God into it. And what's really required is believing that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and that he took all your sins upon himself, so that when you die and stand before God you will have a clean slate, which is the only way you can enter into heaven. But it has to be true belief and true faith in Christ as your only hope of salvation. As I understand how it's supposed to go.

I'll have to look into Pascal's theological views, but as he was a Christian theologian I don't get how he would think an "meh okay I'll believe in God just to be on the safe side" attitude would work, if that's what he was proposing.

To be fair, he was only proposing it to those who doubted, not to those who had faith.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2020, 4:25 pm

I believe Simpson's Rebuttal addresses Pascal's Wager best:

"What if we picked the wrong religion? Every week we're just making God madder and madder."

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2020, 6:18 pm

Pascal's wager would make sense if there was only one religion in the world.

There isn't.

In practice, those of us who are agnostic tend to lean on cultural/family tradition when it comes to random prayers in hours of need.

I'm not 100% convinced that some religious people aren't basically doing the same and even atheists, for eg there's a lot of atheists on youtube who spend their time debunking Christianity rather than for eg Hinduism.

I agree with my Christian dad 'there's no atheists in fox holes' but I think that doesn't make it a good test of faith. It's just the way we have been conditioned to cope with intense fear.

Another cultural thing is - why do people say 'Christians and Catholics'? Surely it's more 'Christians and Protestants' considering Protestantism is a branch of Christianity invented by Martin Luther.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2020, 6:47 pm

KT67 wrote:
I agree with my Christian dad 'there's no atheists in fox holes' but I think that doesn't make it a good test of faith. It's just the way we have been conditioned to cope with intense fear.

For what it's worth it's never occurred to me to pray in life threatening situations because there's nothing real to pray to. That cliché is silly and untrue even if not every single atheist is absolutely certain.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2020, 6:58 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
KT67 wrote:

For what it's worth it's never occurred to me to pray in life threatening situations because there's nothing real to pray to. That cliché is silly and untrue even if not every single atheist is absolutely certain.

Interesting. Out of curiosity, were you raised Christian, atheist or something else?

I see it as no different to how I know logically nothing bad will happen if I walk under a ladder but I'm smug about the fact I'm the only one who hasn't walked under a ladder since the building work started on our house & I'm the only one who hasn't had bad luck yet...

Like an emotional 'truth' learnt in childhood rather than a belief in something tangible. Falling back on childhood as a comfort blanket. I doubt many people in the 17th century had been raised atheists, even if they became atheists later in life so these 'emotional truths' might have been more true in Pascal's day.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

17 Dec 2020, 3:26 am

Reading Pascal's Wager and criticism of it, I start to view it not as much pro-religion as rather anti-libertinsm.

Possibly, Pascal in his historical and cultural context, didn't see a possibility of not believing in God and still holding to morality. I was raised in similar belief and only meeting several non-religious but moral people made me challenge this view.
Historically, I believe Voltaire explored the topic of morality of basic human decency, not sanctioned by faith or institutions. Voltaire was after Pascal.

So, in this context, not as much pro-religion as anti-libertine (with religion being the only alternative Pascal knew), the wager makes some sense to me.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Tempus Fugit
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2020, 5:16 am

magz wrote:
Reading Pascal's Wager and criticism of it, I start to view it not as much pro-religion as rather anti-libertinsm.

Possibly, Pascal in his historical and cultural context, didn't see a possibility of not believing in God and still holding to morality. I was raised in similar belief and only meeting several non-religious but moral people made me challenge this view.
Historically, I believe Voltaire explored the topic of morality of basic human decency, not sanctioned by faith or institutions. Voltaire was after Pascal.

So, in this context, not as much pro-religion as anti-libertine (with religion being the only alternative Pascal knew), the wager makes some sense to me.

That makes more sense to me as well.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2020, 5:20 am

KT67 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
KT67 wrote:

Interesting. Out of curiosity, were you raised Christian, atheist or something else?

I see it as no different to how I know logically nothing bad will happen if I walk under a ladder but I'm smug about the fact I'm the only one who hasn't walked under a ladder since the building work started on our house & I'm the only one who hasn't had bad luck yet...

Like an emotional 'truth' learnt in childhood rather than a belief in something tangible. Falling back on childhood as a comfort blanket. I doubt many people in the 17th century had been raised atheists, even if they became atheists later in life so these 'emotional truths' might have been more true in Pascal's day.

My mom seems agnostic, she never really talks of religion in any regard. My dad is a believer and at least nominally Christian (his view of God accepts Jesus Christ as his lord and Savior).

I've never been a believer, when I was young I conceived of some sort of imaginary friend type god and then abandoned that when I admitted to myself I didn't actually believe in that either, it was just how I understood something I felt I had to believe on some level. Haven't looked back since.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Deltaville
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2020, 3:16 pm

Here is a criticism from RationalWiki.

Mods help fix

"Don't forget to floss." - Darkwing Duck

Last edited by Cornflake on 17 Dec 2020, 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.: Fixed image display

Deltaville
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2020, 8:30 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Udinaas wrote:
Thought expetiments like Roko's Basilisk are the biggest reason that I don't find Pascal's Wager compelling. You can make up anything with the power to infinitely punish, including entities that are mutually exclusive (like the Christian and Muslim versions of God). Even on the assumption that that belief is a choice and that God wouldn't mind if people believed to avoid punishment, you would already have to be leaning towards theism for it to be rational.

Agreed.

The counterfactual, and I think maybe just at the cultural level in the US - I know a lot of nominal Catholics and Christians who, when you ask them about it, are Christians along the lay interpretation of Pascal, ie. 'Just in case' Christians.

I think there's a whole other half of that which they never think about explicitly, ie. church festivals, holidays, and social networks are woven through their lives. Some of them coach CYO sports. In a way you get most of the social advantages of Freemasonry by going to church regularly (helps if you're in the 100 to 105 IQ range - interests, habits, etc. so you additionally fit in socially with the other parishioner), it's just that the psycho-spiritual content you get is even more watered down and it amazes me that so many doctors, lawyers, and accountants effectively pay several thousand dollars a year to break out the crayons and color for an hour or two on the weekends but - that's where the easy social networking is at and, I suppose if one can't be arsed to look into any of it (college football and basketball are way more important), then they may indeed be legit Pascal's Wager Christians on top of that.

My intuition is leaning towards an opposite conclusion.

Notwithstanding my above post, I am under the impression that a most general and ordinary interpretation of Pascal's wager would not presume belief in a certain faith or creed, but merely belief in God. A proponent of Pascal's wager could merely argue that simplicity is the primary vehicle for why he or she would draw the assumption that Pascal's wager is a validation of faith. I know some people who don't follow a particular doctrine and yet are believers as they are convinced by the nature of Pascal's wager.

I would not be, however, surprised in the least if experts in game theory continue to develop new criticisms or some sort of counterarguments that demises the effectiveness of arguing from simplicity.

"Don't forget to floss." - Darkwing Duck

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2020, 10:15 pm

Deltaville wrote:

Notwithstanding my above post, I am under the impression that a most general and ordinary interpretation of Pascal's wager would not presume belief in a certain faith or creed, but merely belief in God. A proponent of Pascal's wager could merely argue that simplicity is the primary vehicle for why he or she would draw the assumption that Pascal's wager is a validation of faith. I know some people who don't follow a particular doctrine and yet are believers as they are convinced by the nature of Pascal's wager.

Oh... no, I was naming certain sects as examples not saying it's the property of one sect or another, although I get what you're saying that there might be a lot of people who buy Pascal's Wager but don't go to church. A deeper probing of my suggestion might be something like this - when life is going well for people, especially persistently from youth, they tend to care for little aside from hobbies and / or social climbing. Being concerned with big questions tends to be something generated from hardship, even permanent socioeconomic dislocation, hence it won't get their attention because there's little or no added social currency for doing so. Thus if they hear anything that's catchy and it feels right then it tends to land and stick. From that being in a church is having a social network, ie. they're showing up for other people and to be seen.

I'm not saying that bucket captures all Pascal Abrahamists and other non-pantheist/panentheist monotheists, just that it seems to capture many if not most that I've met. I will admit though, having friends who have Muslim in-laws, the social and family aspect of the religion is significantly stronger and with the added strength of belief also comes added concern over the laws - that part at least is something we've had less of in what's traditionally been the Christian portion of the populace. I grew up Catholic and a lot of the Jim Gaffigan jokes do apply.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Udinaas
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2020, 12:00 pm

Deltaville wrote:
techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Udinaas wrote:

Agreed.

I would not be, however, surprised in the least if experts in game theory continue to develop new criticisms or some sort of counterarguments that demises the effectiveness of arguing from simplicity.

A generic God wouldn't necessarily punish people for disbelief and a God that does wouldn't necessarily think the wrong kind of worship was better than disbelief (it's not clear if Pascal himself even believed this and if he did he would have been violating the usual tenets of his faith). Pascal's wager is based on a complex idea of God taken from Abrahamic theology. It is not a simple idea that someone without exposure to religion would come up with.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2020, 12:31 pm

Punishing takes effort, it seems like something the God in question would need to do for reasons beyond it's own control - ie. like it needs food and can't eat if people don't pray to it, and even there you have a threshold of 'having enough', a bit like a person who makes significantly $70k per year may be unhappy explicitly for lack thereof, around $70K in most places, if single, their needs are generally met, and upward of that it's mostly diminishing returns.

Short of that we're in TheraminTrees territory:

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2020, 1:25 pm

Pascals Wager; Sounds Like

Something i 'Saw' On Twitter 'Once';

It's About As Deep as Night or

Day Never Seeing

TWiLiGHT (Balance Tween DarK And LiGHT) Forevernow;

It Doesn't Take a Rocket Scientist; No, Just Deeper than
A 'Black And White Thinker', to Understand That As Far As
'Christianity' Goes; An All Forgiving God Named Jesus Who Loves
The Enemy Same As Self, Forever Forgiving, Who Turns The Other Cheek

Turning
Right
Back
Around in the
Same GD Story Even

More 'Psychopathic' than
Doctor Jekyll; No, Mostly

Mr. Hyde More Than 'the Trump MeMe'

Does Living Death; Yet Worse, Not Only Fires
'You'; Yet, Tortures You Forever An Eternity More Than Now

If You Don't Give A Poor Man on the Street

Something to Eat Per 'Matthew' calling You
And Making 'You' A 'Left-Hand Scape Goat';
Burning You Forever Like A Devil Never Forgiving You At all;

WHere, it's Worth Noting that

Earlier in the Story Again

The Poor Man of Spirit

Who Didn't Give the Poor

Man of Food Needed the Most

Help of All GaininG A MEal of Love;

Therefore, back to the same Story

In the Contradictory Overall one that

It is Great to Give Love to the Enemy;

So, one Day Perhaps the Enemy

Will Become LoVE iNCaRNaTE

And Actually Give

Both Spiritual

Food of Love

And Some Food to

Nourish A Tummy too... ON THE STREET;

Okay, now that (if) we will get nonsense

Out of the Way; There is No Room except

For 'Trump Fifth Avenue Conspiracy Theories' in Worrying

About Harm from the Oldest Most Ridiculous Conspiracy

Theory of All Written into A Book That When Love is Tested IT

Fires Life Forever in Torture; Please note, the IT Part out of the City Gutters...

Sorry Folks

NOT Sorry

ThaT Ain't

Got Nothing to Do

With Love That Requires

No Worship and Is Never

Afraid of Criticism; Yes,

Indeed Loving IT All

DarK Thru LiGHT AGAPE

For Giving Thanks Giving;

Yet, How You Really Get

SCR8WeD is if You Don't

Believe God Is Love; Birth It;

Breed it; Cooperate With it; Don't

Forget the Shadow Part of Your Reptile

Brain, Mastering the Aggression and Lust;

Regulating Limbic System Brain

Emotions, Integrating Senses from

Head To Toe; Yes, By God, Autotelic

Flow

Heaven

On Earth Now;

Yes, Within,

Navigating It

A Bit With

A Neo-Cortex;

Yet Do Remember

The Oldest Evolved

Brains Are Still the

True Pilots of Our

Trinity Mind IN

Body Balance Soul;

Pascal's Real Wager

Should Have Been

How to Avoid Hell On Earth

As Presented in Nightmares Ranging

From Narcissistic to Psychopathic Intent

In Old Antiquated Stories That Do Present

All the Evil and Good In One Man Named God to The Extreme...

So Which

Side of

The Razor

Do Ya Wanna Fall into Or

LiVE oN NoW; Hell Or Heaven;

Hope and Love Or Fear and Hate;

Ignorance Or 'Sight'; Night Or Day;

True DarK and LiGHT is ReaLiTY

At Best TWiLiGHT iN BaLaNCE;

YeS iN Both TrutH and Lies;

How About Truly

Living

Now

For It's

True, if You

Do, THere is No

Tomorrow Ever to Worry About Now....

Meh, All Ya Need is Love, A Little Autotelic

Flow; And Don't Believe in Fifth Avenue Devil Deals;

Yet, Do Do Love; You Won't Go Wrong in Heaven Now

As Long as You Do it with Least Harm Now That's A God i Will BeLiVE iN Now...

And Honestly it Does Reflect A Bit of 'Good Cop Matthew' Ghost Author(s) With Pen Name too...

Seen the

Mercy

of Death

Up Close

At Hand In me,

And Others Same;

There is More About

Life to Be Afraid of than Death;

Yet, On the Other Hand, THere is

More to Do than Be Living Dead....

-Still Putting The Theism in Real Love for 60 Years,
6 Months, 12 Days, 1 Hour, And 6 Minutes; Whoops

60 Seconds, Make that 7

Minutes...

-me

Yeah, Honestly instead

of MaKinG Wagers You Could

Start A Love Train That LiveS on True Instead...

Meh...

Just

one of

Many Views

And Suggestions

Still Coming Sooner than Soon...

-me Again...

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

twistytreesnake
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Dec 2020, 10:33 am

I think that an important consideration is whether it is even possible to will yourself to believe something. I find myself agreeing with Charles Peirce on this point:

Quote:
He will say, "I hold steadfastly to the truth, and the truth is always wholesome." And in many cases it may very well be that the pleasure he derives from his calm faith overbalances any inconveniences resulting from its deceptive character. Thus, if it be true that death is annihilation, then the man who believes that he will certainly go straight to heaven when he dies, provided he have fulfilled certain simple observances in this life, has a cheap pleasure which will not be followed by the least disappointment. A similar consideration seems to have weight with many persons in religious topics, for we frequently hear it said, "Oh, I could not believe so-and-so, because I should be wretched if I did."

But this method of fixing belief, which may be called the method of tenacity, will be unable to hold its ground in practice. The social impulse is against it. The man who adopts it will find that other men think differently from him, and it will be apt to occur to him, in some saner moment, that their opinions are quite as good as his own, and this will shake his confidence in his belief. This conception, that another man's thought or sentiment may be equivalent to one's own, is a distinctly new step, and a highly important one. It arises from an impulse too strong in man to be suppressed, without danger of destroying the human species. Unless we make ourselves hermits, we shall necessarily influence each other's opinions; so that the problem becomes how to fix belief, not in the individual merely, but in the community.

That is from "The Fixation of Belief" and I think that he is correct. We cannot simply decide to believe something because we think that it would be a nice thing to believe. Our beliefs have to be motivated by a real understanding of the reasons to think they are true.