Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

Mike_T
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Dec 2020, 9:38 pm

Is there anyone else out there crushed by the death of Eddie Van Halen - one of the true Guitar Gods.

I remember the thrill of seeing the "Jump" video on MTV in 1984, my first visual introduction to Van Halen - and it did not disappoint. I immediately bought the cassette and have been an hard core fan ever since. I have seen them 13 times in concert, through the various incarnations of the lineup (including the opening date of the VH III tour with Gary Cherone!). Throughout it all, the guitar playing of Eddie has been the unquestionable magic of the music. Like him or hate him, he has to be acknowledged as an innovator and master of the guitar (along with playing keyboards and bass on several albums).

Like many dreamers, I wished that I could play guitar like that, though fully knowing that it was impossible. But nevertheless, I got a $200 used Stratocaster from a pawn shop and started learning. To my surprise, there are a few songs and licks that are possible to be played by mere mortals as myself. The thrill of playing an easy song like "Runnin' With the Devil" along with Eddie was amazing. Life got in the way and the guitars are now gone, but maybe some day I'll pick them up again and stumble through some songs with Eddie.

Good by Dear Friend - even though we never met, I have a huge hole in my heart for the loss of a great inspiration and amazing musician.