Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

shutterbug55
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

20 Dec 2020, 7:56 pm

This has been building over a period of time, and I have been very uncomfortable wearing masks, being around people in masks, and getting worse. It was pointed out to me, today that I have not been out of the house in over two months. I used to like going out and about. I liked taking pictures of the things I found while out (hence my handle).

It is the eyes. All I see of people are their eyes. I don't look at people's eyes. I look at their faces. Now they are covered up. Everyone is a stranger to me.

How do people deal with this?

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2020, 8:32 pm

Think of us people who need to lipread.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2020, 9:19 am

shutterbug55 wrote:
This has been building over a period of time, and I have been very uncomfortable wearing masks, being around people in masks, and getting worse. It was pointed out to me, today that I have not been out of the house in over two months. I used to like going out and about. I liked taking pictures of the things I found while out (hence my handle).

It is the eyes. All I see of people are their eyes. I don't look at people's eyes. I look at their faces. Now they are covered up. Everyone is a stranger to me.

Simple -- I wear a mask when I am outside my home and recognize people by their voices.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

21 Dec 2020, 10:48 am

Typically for a short-sighted person, I recognize people by the way they move.

And noses. I look at people's noses and remember them. I wasn't aware of it before the masks.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2020, 11:06 am

Typically I wear an N95 mask. It is a little harder to breath than normal cloth mask but I endure and suffer. I wear blue mirrored tinted glasses. So people cannot even see my eyes. I am essentially invisible.

I am up and about all the time. I have been to stores hundreds of times. Since the lockdown ended over 6 months ago, I have been to the movie theater many times and watched 15 films so far. I have been to the YMCA. I have eaten at restaurants, but I only eat outdoors. I go to church weekly. The threat is primarily an indoor threat. I live my life as close to normal as I can. The N95 keeps me safe.

Having said that because of the blue tint, I project a happy image, sort of like Casper the Friendly Ghost.

Interesting trivia:
How did Casper the Friendly Ghost die?
According to the film, Casper was a twelve-year-old boy living in Whipstaff Manor with his inventor father J.T. McFadden until he died from pneumonia after playing out in the cold until it was past nightfall.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2020, 10:22 am

I thought masks are great for aspies and introverts, aren't they? My son doesn't know how he lived without masks before. :D I myself only go out to do grocery shopping, so I wasn't looking at people much anyway. Too busy looking at food and grabbing them quickly, don't want to block any aisle for too long. The only problem I have with masks is they're so hot. I'm a hot blooded person and never wear a hat or scarves, masks make me too warm.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2020, 11:55 am

When I was young my parents told me it was polite to look at people when I was talking to them. They never said anything about looking in the eyes.

I think I just see the mask as part of a person's face. I'm kind of faceblind so seeing a full face without the mask wouldn't help me much; if I know them well enough to recognize them then the mask probably won't fool me.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2020, 12:16 pm

I love masks. I've ordered myself a few from Amazon yesterday.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2020, 3:57 pm

shutterbug55 wrote:

I have always navigated by body language.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2020, 4:01 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I love masks. I've ordered myself a few from Amazon yesterday.

I'd like to wear a mask in public, but they're not very common here so I'd stand out.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2020, 4:11 pm

If one DOESN'T wear a mask where I am, one stands out like a sore thumb.

Can't say that I blame them.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2020, 6:23 pm

Because of the pandemic, my immediate family and I are now used to wearing masks.

AriaEclipse
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2020, 1:45 pm

Where I live, we legally are required to wear them outside of our homes. I personally feel neutral about them. I don't tend to look at people's faces when I'm out aside from at doctor's appointments, so that's not a problem for me. My only real issue is that my glasses fog up when I am wearing one. I'm thinking of ordering a spray online though that could help with that.

My Tumblr

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2020, 2:17 pm

AriaEclipse wrote:
... My only real issue is that my glasses fog up when I am wearing one. I'm thinking of ordering a spray online though that could help with that.
I use a popular brand of furniture polish (Ooo ... that lemony scent!).  I just spray a little on my glasses and wipe off the excess.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2020, 10:28 pm

I never felt the need to look people in the face nor have I felt the need to see what their faces look like.

My glasses fog up and I pull the mask from my mouth when I talk because it's hard to hear myself and I don't think the other person can understand me. It's like a hand being over your mouth and it's hard to speak. Plus the mask keeps slipping down showing my nose so I am sure I look like a Karen.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.