Hope & Limberg: evidence against "trickle-down" economics

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2020, 6:35 pm

50 years of tax cuts for the rich failed to trickle down, economics study says by Aimee Picchi, CBS News, December 17, 2020:

Quote:
Tax cuts for the wealthy have long drawn support from conservative lawmakers and economists who argue that such measures will "trickle down" and eventually boost jobs and incomes for everyone else. But a new study from the London School of Economics says 50 years of such tax cuts have only helped one group — the rich.

The new paper, by David Hope of the London School of Economics and Julian Limberg of King's College London, examines 18 developed countries — from Australia to the United States — over a 50-year period from 1965 to 2015. The study compared countries that passed tax cuts in a specific year, such as the U.S. in 1982 when President Ronald Reagan slashed taxes on the wealthy, with those that didn't, and then examined their economic outcomes.

"Based on our research, we would argue that the economic rationale for keeping taxes on the rich low is weak," Julian Limberg, a co-author of the study and a lecturer in public policy at King's College London, said in an email to CBS MoneyWatch. "In fact, if we look back into history, the period with the highest taxes on the rich — the postwar period — was also a period with high economic growth and low unemployment."

Seems to me I've heard of other similar studies before. This is just the latest one.

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2020, 10:17 am

The rich have always had a lot of incentive to keep that money from trickling down. Why would they want that? Why wouldn't they fight tooth and nail to keep that from happening? If money is trickling down then that's money they don't have. I imagine they see it like a leak in a boat that needs to be plugged up.
If they were reasonable they might realize that the rabble won't be able to keep giving them money if they don't have money to spend on the goods and services the wealthy control. But the wealthy are blinded by their stubborn belief in their own rationality and merit.

Δυνατὰ δὲ οἱ προύχοντες πράσσουσι καὶ οἱ ἀσθενεῖς ξυγχωροῦσιν.
Those with power do what their power permits, and the weak can only acquiesce.

- Thucydides

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2020, 5:13 pm

Does anyone still seriously believe in voodoo economics? 8O

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2020, 6:16 pm

roronoa79 wrote:
The rich have always had a lot of incentive to keep that money from trickling down. Why would they want that? Why wouldn't they fight tooth and nail to keep that from happening? If money is trickling down then that's money they don't have. I imagine they see it like a leak in a boat that needs to be plugged up.
If they were reasonable they might realize that the rabble won't be able to keep giving them money if they don't have money to spend on the goods and services the wealthy control. But the wealthy are blinded by their stubborn belief in their own rationality and merit.

The point of "trickle down economics" is a belief that low taxes supposedly make rich people more comfortable investing their money in businesses, thereby creating more jobs, hence more money for everyone.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2020, 6:18 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Does anyone still seriously believe in voodoo economics? 8O

I prefer not to call it "voodoo economics" (to avoid insulting the African diaspora religions), but apparently a lot of right wingers still do believe that low taxes for the rich are good for everyone.

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2020, 8:18 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
The point of "trickle down economics" is a belief that low taxes supposedly make rich people more comfortable investing their money in businesses, thereby creating more jobs, hence more money for everyone.

Getting a return on their investment is the biggest priority with any such investment. A good way to maximize that return is to squeeze as much money as possible out of consumers and minimize the amount of money that goes to workers. If anyone besides the investors and executives actually prospers as a result of these investments, it is a fortunate side effect--not an inevitable one. The more the rabble benefits, the less the wealthy benefit. The wealthy call the shots, and workers are kept as powerless and desparate as possible. The more wealth they have, the more they can effectively bribe legislators to bend the law in their favor--thus reinforcing the cycle of wealth inequality. And, you know, undermining popular democracy.
(I'm autistic and stupid and can't tell whether that "supposedly" is meant in favor of trickle down economics or not. I'm guessing not, but confidence is for chumps)

Δυνατὰ δὲ οἱ προύχοντες πράσσουσι καὶ οἱ ἀσθενεῖς ξυγχωροῦσιν.
Those with power do what their power permits, and the weak can only acquiesce.

- Thucydides