Armed anti-lockdown protesters try to enter Oregon Capital

Page 1 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2020, 7:16 pm

Armed Anti-Lockdown Protesters Just Tried to Storm Oregon's State Capitol

Quote:
Right-wing protesters, including many armed with AR-style rifles, angrily faced off with riot police in and around the Oregon State Capitol in Salem on Monday morning, as lawmakers gathered to consider extending a moratorium on evictions during the COVID-19 pandemic.

The event was billed as an anti-lockdown protest, and intended to coincide with the lawmakers’ presence for a special legislative session. Right-wing activists, including Joey Gibson, who leads “Patriot Prayer,” a far-right group, seized on the closed-door event as an opportunity to protest ongoing lockdown orders and drum up complaints about transparency.

Some of the protesters were able to enter the building, and were seen on video walking around heavily armed. When riot police arrived, tensions escalated quickly and police deployed pepper spray, forcing protesters who were inside to leave. Meanwhile, protesters identified alternative entrances to the building.

At least two protesters were arrested at around 10:00 a.m., the Statesman Journal reported.

"At one point we used pepper balls,” Lt. Treven Upkes, a spokesperson for Salem Police Department, told the Statesman Journal. “I don’t know what else."

Other groups of protesters who made their way into another part of the building faced off angrily with riot police who blocked them from proceeding further.

Some in the crowd were seen holding pro-police Blue Lives Matter flags, but many protesters quickly became hostile towards law enforcement who were preventing them from making their way further into the building. “f**k you you pieces of s**t” one person shouted while ramming a door with a flag pole.

“You aren’t Americans, You’re f*****g working for the Chi-Coms,” shouted another, a reference to simmering conspiracy theories about the Chinese government infiltrating U.S. government agencies. One person in the crowd urged people to burn their Blue Lives matter flag, Jedeed reported on Twitter.

Earlier on, a livestreamer with the name Villain urged “antifa” to come join them.

Oregon State Police declare unlawful assembly as anti-lockdown protesters storm Capitol building, try to disrupt special session
Quote:
Protesters broke doors and some pushed their way into the locked building, leading to arrests.

According to Oregon Public Broadcasting:

The Oregon State Police declared an unlawful assembly as a growing number of protesters pushed their way through the Capitol doors chanting, "let us in" and "arrest Kate Brown." Police officers donned gas masks as they squared off with protesters, some of whom carried firearms and bear spray, and many of whom were not wearing masks.

The San Francisco Gate reported that according to police:

While entering the building, protestors used chemical agents and bear spray against officers. At least two people were arrested after a smaller group of protestors were successful in entering a portion of the Capitol building. Outside protesters banged their fists against the doors chanting, "Let us in."

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 21 Dec 2020, 7:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.

StayFrosty
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2020, 7:21 pm

Well, When you back someone into a corner they'll sometimes fight back.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2020, 10:43 pm

This is yet another reason why I wish to have enough money to move to another state.

Oregon (regarding unlawful assembly) has become just as bad
as other states over the course of this year alone.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2020, 11:03 pm

Why do they prefer Oregon as their place to do these things?

Are these people locals, or are they from out of town or out of state, just wanting to antagonize people?

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2020, 6:41 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
Why do they prefer Oregon as their place to do these things?

Are these people locals, or are they from out of town or out of state, just wanting to antagonize people?

Because the state and local governments have enabled them. Instead of enforcing the law, these governments have demonstrated time and time again there is not much of a price to be paid for rioting. You let people get away with stuff they are going to keep on testing the limits. I read the area was called a "Patriot autonomous zone". Gee, I wonder where they got that idea from.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

King Kat 1
Toucan
Toucan

22 Dec 2020, 8:38 am

This strikes me as odd, that some of these militant types are doing this in Oregon, it's quite a left leaning place(as well as expensive to live there). Michigan didn't shock to much, as you have a lot of anti government types in places like the upper peninsula and rural upper eastern area of the state.

I do feel people have the right to protest peacefully but coming in there armed with the purpose of frightening of intimidating people, crosses the line.

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2020, 10:04 am

I'm not exactly a fan of the police, but I can't help but feel a little Schadenfreude at the thought of armed right-wingers with blue lives matter flags getting forcibly dispersed by the same police they treat as saints. I'm sure they'll find some conspiracy theory to explain the police not whole-heartedly supporting their right-wing agenda. Whether it's by accusing them of being Chinese agents or closet Marxists or whatever crackpot nonsense they come up with.

Honestly it makes sense to me that right-wingers are doing this in Oregon.
Oregon is solidly blue but this has led to the state's Right becoming somewhat disgruntled. Especially in east Oregon there are groups who want to secede from Oregon to form their own, more conservative state (usually called Jefferson).

Δυνατὰ δὲ οἱ προύχοντες πράσσουσι καὶ οἱ ἀσθενεῖς ξυγχωροῦσιν.
Those with power do what their power permits, and the weak can only acquiesce.

- Thucydides

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2020, 12:01 pm

For that matter, how come we never see a large Antifa presence in red states?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2020, 1:59 pm

roronoa79 wrote:
I'm not exactly a fan of the police, but I can't help but feel a little Schadenfreude at the thought of armed right-wingers with blue lives matter flags getting forcibly dispersed by the same police they treat as saints. I'm sure they'll find some conspiracy theory to explain the police not whole-heartedly supporting their right-wing agenda. Whether it's by accusing them of being Chinese agents or closet Marxists or whatever crackpot nonsense they come up with.

Oregon is solidly blue but this has led to the state's Right becoming somewhat disgruntled. Especially in east Oregon there are groups who want to secede from Oregon to form their own, more conservative state (usually called Jefferson).

I am a little disappointed they didn't get the rubber bullets to the face and tear gas that left wing protestors who aren't brandishing guns get. I probably still would not support that, since it would be hypocritical. But there is the part of me that wouldn't hate to see it.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2020, 3:48 pm

StayFrosty wrote:

You mean the police? :?

Exactly. Backed into a corner by lunatic protestors with guns & chemical weapons, they tear gassed/pepper sprayed some of them & arrested a couple. 8)

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2020, 3:52 pm

I always thought people moved to the west coast to get *away* from the hard right, thus explaining the high demand for housing and high cost of living.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2020, 4:01 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
I always thought people moved to the west coast to get *away* from the hard right, thus explaining the high demand for housing and high cost of living.

But clearly there are gun fanatics and militias there, too.. as per forum member sly279’s post. It’s not all hipsters, craft beer, weed & protesting grandmas.. it’s the people who hate them, too.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2020, 4:55 pm

There are definitely pockets of racists out west.A family member was driving through Idaho and stopped at a motel for the night.He had tools in the truck so asked the man at the front desk if he could park near the office for the safety of his equipment and the man said, “Don’t worry, there aren’t any ni@@ers around here.”

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2020, 4:55 pm

StayFrosty wrote:

Indeed, if these terrorist thugs keep behaving like this the state might need to aerate a few of them to teach the rest a lesson.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2020, 4:58 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
roronoa79 wrote:

I am a little disappointed they didn't get the rubber bullets to the face and tear gas that left wing protestors who aren't brandishing guns get. I probably still would not support that, since it would be hypocritical. But there is the part of me that wouldn't hate to see it.

On average, the police are more sympathetic to right wingers who are armed and willing to use deadly force against them than they are towards peaceful left wing protesters. How sad.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2020, 5:05 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:

There are right wingers everywhere. Oregon has them too. I am sure they did travel from rural area to the state capital to do their violent protests. After all lot of the rioters were from outside the area. Even the Trumpers who did their Trump parades were not from the area and they all came to the area from all over to do their march here in Portland.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.