Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2020, 7:48 pm

The young man called Alex who appeared in this UK documentary https://youtu.be/xSxgCguPEaM the ‘autistic me’ died back in 2016 of an epileptic seizure in his sleep only aged 32.

Are people with Aspergers/Autism really more prone to dying from problems like seizures and epilepsy etc?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2020, 7:56 pm

I've never had a seizure or even fainted in my life. Could I just become epileptic tomorrow because I have Asperger's? If we are more prone to suddenly developing seizures, should we be allowed to drive?

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2020, 8:00 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I've never had a seizure or even fainted in my life. Could I just become epileptic tomorrow because I have Asperger's? If we are more prone to suddenly developing seizures, should we be allowed to drive?

I was shocked to hear though that the guy in the documentary died so young though 8O

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2020, 8:13 pm

Very much yes.
Why People with Autism Die at a Much Younger Age

Quote:
A study out of Sweden completed late last year revealed that people with autism died an average of 16 years earlier than those without the condition.

It also revealed that the leading causes of death in people with autism were heart disease, suicide, and epilepsy.

Between 1987 and 2009 scientists from the Karolinska Institute looked at more than 27,000 people in Sweden diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder (ASD).

This group was compared with a group of 2.6 million people without ASD.

What the researchers also discovered was that average life expectancy for the general population was about 70 years old. In the ASD group, the average age was about 54.

Perhaps more startling, people with ASD that also had cognitive disabilities had an average life expectancy just under 40 years old.

The Swedish researchers also noted that epilepsy is common among people with ASD and the likelihood of developing it increases with age.

The researchers estimated 20 to 40 percent of people with ASD also have epilepsy compared with 1 percent of the general population.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2020, 8:18 pm

Thanks, now I have something else to worry about. I knew my f****d up brain would cause me to die in my 50s or even 40s. And nobody on WP seems bothered by this? Will I get heart disease then or develop epilepsy next year? I look forward to my first seizure. :roll:

f**k autism - it's a f*****g death sentence. :cry: :x :twisted:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2020, 8:22 pm

Epilepsy and things like that usually occur among people who are "lower-functioning," and who have something accompanying their autism---like a genetic/chromosomal disorder.

I am going to live my full lifespan, even though I have autism.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2020, 8:28 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Epilepsy and things like that usually occur among people who are "lower-functioning," and who have something accompanying their autism---like a genetic/chromosomal disorder.

I am going to live my full lifespan, even though I have autism.

But I thought there weren't such a thing as low or high functioning any more? Who is low-functioning?

And my deepest condolences for that poor young man who died from an epileptic fit, and all his family. :heart:

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2020, 8:29 pm

s**t now I feel worried 8O :(

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2020, 8:30 pm

I am 48 and i drive a bus does that mean im a danger if im more likely to develop epilepsy ?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2020, 8:41 pm

No, it doesn't.

Autism, in and of itself, doesn't lead to epilepsy. It's usually other neurological disorders accompanying the autism.

Go on YouTube, Joe. There's a nice girl there named Abigail Maass, in a blog called "Fathering Autism." She is a "normal" looking person with autism who cannot speak, and would be considered "low-functioning."

She might be seemingly "low-functioning"---but who knows? Maybe she'll emerge to the point where she can communicate well with an Alternative Communication Device.

Autism presents itself in many ways.

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 21 Dec 2020, 9:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2020, 8:45 pm

If you've never had an epileptic episode in 30 years of life, it is highly unlikely that you will have one after you're 30.

Autism, in and of itself, doesn't cause epilepsy.

I'm certainly not going to give up my driver's license because I have autism.

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2020, 8:55 pm

I don't know if there is real significant evidence that suggest a big link between ASD and epilepsy.
Although, i would say that it is possible for someone who has ASD to also have epilepsy, as it is also possible
for some who have ASD to have other complex problems such as schizophrenia.
(btw I am not insinuating that you have either).

I would say that people with ASD and who also have schizophrenia aren't that common either.
I would say that if you haven't already been diagnosed, then it is possible that you will never be.

I do not know that much about epilepsy. I think i have had one or two minor seizures in my life.

One which i believe was caused by smoking lots of bongs on Christmas day at a friend of my brothers house.
I hadn't smoked pot for years, and i turned up with my brother to be given lots of super strong bongs from
the biggest pot heads in the area that I live.

I ended up taking loads of bongs, or buckets, and then collapsed, had a fit and all i could see was white lights.
No astral projection, but pretty freaked out, as I was in a room full of people that were older than me who I didn't really know that well. What a spin out, don't miss that type of phenomena.

I have never had any schizophrenic seizures, apart from again, when i was in my mid 20s, when visiting Amsterdam.
I did smoke copious amounts of super Northern lights and Super Skunk, and ended up getting minor auditory hallucinations, nothing like voices telling me to do stuff or anything really seriously freaky like that,
but just sounds being enhanced to sound much more trippy than they really were.

Something that subsided as soon as the weed wore off.

Yep, if you do not already have epilepsy, i would say that you probably will never get it.
I also know that epilepsy also subsides in some, as well as being curable with operations in others.

Joe90, I wouldn't worry too much. I don't know if its your humour or if you have a tendency to worry (like i do)
but somethings you should not worry about unless you have significant reason to do so.

If you do not already have epilepsy, try not to worry.
Best regards

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2020, 8:57 pm

Many people who are not autistic have epilepsy.

Many people who are not autistic are schizophrenic.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2020, 5:40 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
No, it doesn't.

Autism, in and of itself, doesn't lead to epilepsy. It's usually other neurological disorders accompanying the autism.

Go on YouTube, Joe. There's a nice girl there named Abigail Maass, in a blog called "Fathering Autism." She is a "normal" looking person with autism who cannot speak, and would be considered "low-functioning."

She might be seemingly "low-functioning"---but who knows? Maybe she'll emerge to the point where she can communicate well with an Alternative Communication Device.

Autism presents itself in many ways.

I've watched a lot of her videos. She is an example of low-functioning. But many Aspies here on WP claim that there is no such thing as low-functioning or high-functioning autism any more.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2020, 6:08 am

I'm lucky the only thing I have had to deal with was anxiety and OCD thoughts and depression.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Clueless2017
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2020, 8:40 pm

I read a lot about a possible link between autism, epilepsy, and schizophrenia...(I am very much interested in this topic, because my beloved husband is on the spectrum)...According to some studies, there is definitely a genetic link...However, i would caution you all NOT to worry about these correlations...

Please allow me to explain...When working in the legal profession on a paralegal capacity for appx one decade, i specialized in civil litigation...Through the course of these years, i had many injured clients...Some of whom had suffered a head trauma, and developed seizures as a direct result of said injury...As part of my job, i would secure medical evaluations and medical reports by medical experts on the extent of the injuries and/or damages...So that we could sue the opposing party accordingly...

Having said all of the above, here is what i learned about seizures...According to the above-mentioned medical experts, if four years went by without our client suffering an epileptic seizure...We could safely assume that our client would no longer suffer such seizures...And therefore, could go on with his or her life as usual, including driving...

In brief, if you have not experience a seizure in your lifetime, then why worry?...Or if you have experienced a series of seizures a long time ago, and more than four years have elapsed, again, don't worry...

As to my beloved husband who is on the spectrum, i worry greatly...Because he had a series of seizures in the beginning of our marriage about two years ago...On the other hand, i am happy to report that our marriage has continued without such incidents...So, i remain HOPEFUL...Greetings to you all wonderful people :heart: :heart: :heart: