I have heard of recurring dreams, yet?...

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2020, 7:19 am

So I have heard of recurring dreams, but what about different dreams but in the same recurring locations?

I swear my brain has just created an alternate world, where when I dream I have different dreams but so often it is in recurring places in the dreams. It's just kind of weird, but I know I have had various different dreams but still in the same recurring places in my dreams. Some of them seem totally made up, though some seem to be at least loosely related to places I have been but not totally accurate. And hell I can stay up super late, drink before bed, smoke a bowl and still the dreams come, but of course cannot put sleep off forever. They aren't even bad dreams per say but something about them still makes me procrastinate on sleeping.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2020, 7:33 am

well damn does no one else have dreams like this....?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2020, 7:58 am

Different stories, but in the same nonexistent setting over and over? No.

Or not exactly.

When l was 9 years old I went through a phase of falling off tall buildings in my dreams. I would find myself looking over the concrete walls on the perimenters of tall parking buildings, and would look over the top, to see the street below, then I would always fall over the wall and plunge towards the street below. This would cause me to tense up my body and shut my eyes as I fell in anticipation of smashing into the ground, but ofcourse the big smack never came. So I would open my eyes in the dream...which would cause my real actual eyelids to open up- and cause me to wake up - and find myself safe in bed. It taught me a trick to get out of nightmares later:just shut your eyes in the dream, and then open them again , and your eyes will open up in real life. But I digress.

I have job related dreams in which I am at work at places I stopped working at decades ago. Like at the office supply store I worked at in the Eighties. Aunt Blabby is often "back to work" at his years ago hospital job, or in the army, in his dreams. Thats probably a common thing- dreaming that your in previous places of employment, or at school.

Folks dream that they are in places they have never been. But I dont have recurring dreams of being in some same one setting that I have never been in real life.

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2020, 10:02 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
well damn does no one else have dreams like this....?

I've had a series of dreams and repeat dreams in the same 'universe' since I was a little kid. The dark future.

I don't remember a lot of my dreams though due to the amount of sleep I get.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2020, 9:21 am

I had a series of dreams in which I was walking off-road near many other people. The terrain was similar, but not the details. I finally realized that they were based on an actual event, and I was just adding scale and scenery.
I had a friend who did not like his dreams and resisted sleep. He died in his chair, rather young, before I got to try out an idea that might have helped him sleep.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2020, 10:04 am

Dear_one wrote:
I had a series of dreams in which I was walking off-road near many other people. The terrain was similar, but not the details. I finally realized that they were based on an actual event, and I was just adding scale and scenery.
I had a friend who did not like his dreams and resisted sleep. He died in his chair, rather young, before I got to try out an idea that might have helped him sleep.

8O

Do you think he died of...lack of sleep?

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2020, 10:10 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Dear_one wrote:

8O

Do you think he died of...lack of sleep?

I think it was very bad for his health, but there was no autopsy. I have a sleep disorder, and for a long time, all I wanted was to be alert enough to drive safely. Then I discovered that getting another hour or two makes life enjoyable, and fools tolerable or even amusing.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2020, 11:42 am

I don't have recurring dreams. Or recurring locations. It amazes me that my brain can create totally new places for my dreams to occur.

I just woke up from a dream where there was a stream running past my house, but it wasn't any house I've ever lived in.

Last night I had a dream that I lived in a house with 2 bathrooms and several bedrooms, that is not like any house I've lived in. And I was letting young women live there for a while when they needed a place to stay. I felt like I was constantly cleaning bathrooms and never getting any peace and quiet. All these women were made up too. Not people I've ever met. But in the dream my sister was saying to me, "what you've never met (whatever their name was)".

My sister is always a teenager in my dreams weirdly.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2020, 12:50 pm

I experience reoccurring locations. One in particular keeps cropping up, which seems to be a mishmash of places I've been. The place is a shop you might see in a service station or shopping mall, except it has rope sectioning off an open plan arcade to the right with dance machines and other types of arcade machines. The colour scheme is a dark grey, black and a sharp neon brightly lit but a fairly dark shade of blue outlining the machines. Whereas the shop is a pale washed out blue and a medium green. It seems heavily based on a bowling alley I've been to in real life where the front of the building is filled with arcade machines and the back has bowling lanes.

Some part of my brain seems to have decided You know what I know? Corner shops. You know what I also know of? Arcades then threw them together. I suppose in a way it's similar to when you are queuing in a cinema to get tickets... I also know of a cinema with machines such as air hockey in the entrance to pass the time before a film starts. However, I've yet to see the layout my mind haphazardly created. It's almost an L shape or a sideways U depending on how you look at it, the cashier would unhook the rope and let the customers through to the arcade section after paying for their items in these dreams. Even weirder still, this keeps cropping up for no apparent reason. I often lucid dream and can do so easily, but this place keeps showing up even when I'm just letting my dream do its own thing rather than actively controlling it. How bizarre.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2020, 11:25 pm

I keep on having dreams that I'm in high school. I'm in a different grade in each dream. It's very strange.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2020, 7:09 am

I have had several recurring dreams using the same setting and sometimes similar scenarios. One always involves a house with 3 stories. I would pass through the first story with fear and anxiety, usually it was a wreck and very scary, and i was glad to get to the second story. I would interact with others on this level and be upset usually about something. I would flee to the third floor which was always peaceful, light, wonderful. I finally figured out after years of these dreams that they symbolize past, present and future (the levels of the house).
I off and on have dreams of walking along and looking at my feet, seeing something moving and finding baby turtles. To me this is a delightful dream since I love turtles. I finally figured out that this dream encourages me to look for good things when things seem bad. Dreams often use symbolism, If you think about it you can usually figure out the meaning of something you dream.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2020, 4:38 am

Yesterday, I almost got to sleep when I "remembered" that I hadn't "done my homework" from the morning's dream, so I had to get up and lay down all over again. The "homework" wasn't something I could do when awake, but the continuing nature of the dream made me avoid it like an angry boss. A lot of my dreams are more continuing than recurring, like a TV show.

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2021, 1:44 pm

Recurring locations, yes. Sometimes I gain awareness I'm in a dream. And sometimes I get panicked and feel I'm dying, and try to wake up. And I find it kind of funny, I find it kind of sad. The dreams in which I'm dying Are the best I've ever had.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

13 Jan 2021, 1:47 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
So I have heard of recurring dreams, but what about different dreams but in the same recurring locations?

I have a few sets like that.
Recently, the most "active" are slow-trains and buses riding all over the city, usually not where I mean to go.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

OutsideView
Veteran
Veteran

Location: England ^not male but apparently you can't change it

13 Jan 2021, 1:56 pm

Yes, I have a few places that I frequently visit in my sleep. There is something slightly unsettling and bothersome about them. Can't decide if it would be wonderful or awful to find them in real life.

theprisoner wrote:
And I find it kind of funny, I find it kind of sad. The dreams in which I'm dying Are the best I've ever had.

Those lyrics always make me cry.