Need sunlight but lost my confidence going out

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2020, 5:55 am

I don't have a backyard, just the street outside, but for some reason since lockdown I have lost all my confidence in going out, except for work (but I'm on holiday from work at the moment).
But I think I'm lacking natural sunlight, and exercise, which is contributing to my lack of sleep, constipation and sluggishness.
But there's not really anywhere to walk to, especially that it's winter, and we are all urged to stay indoors due to a rise in coronavirus infections in Essex and the risk of catching it easier. I don't want to get my boyfriend to drive to anywhere because the restrictions are very tight and I don't want the risk of being fined for driving out somewhere, as we hardly have any money.
I don't really fancy just wondering aimlessly around the apartments or along the highway. The nearest store we have near us is the supermarket, but I don't want to go there because it's always so crowded for some reason.

I'm going to wind up fat and insomnic at this rate.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2020, 6:18 am

I know most parts of Greater London have parks which serve their local area.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2020, 6:29 am

Does your boyfriend have a car? Can you plan a walk together at a local park that he can drive to?

I'm really lucky, I live right on the outskirts of my city and if I walk for 10 minutes in any direction I end up in fields or on the old railway line that is now a path. I understand that it must be less motivating if you just have rows of houses to wander round.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2020, 3:54 pm

I don't live in London.

We did actually manage to drive to the graveyard today and have a walk around. I actually forgot about COVID for a while and just used the time to remember and think about all the people who have died over the last couple of centuries. It made me feel sad but it was still nice to look at the graves and just respect.
Graveyards are peaceful places and I don't feel so socially self-conscious. We just wandered around, taking in the beauty of nature and talking about life. It was romantic. And at least I got sunlight, fresh air and exercise too. Hopefully I'll sleep better tonight.

I would be going shopping as a means of walking around getting fresh air, exercise and sunlight, but we're in lockdown so no shops are open only the essential shops. Plus I have very little money. At least visiting the graveyard is free. I could spend hours reading the gravestones. I even picked up flowers and ornaments that were knocked over in the wind last night, and placed them back upright on their graves where they belonged. :heart:

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2020, 4:20 pm

Aww. I'm glad you got out. That was nice of you to put the flowers and ornaments back.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2020, 5:59 pm

Light therapy box

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2020, 6:00 pm

I like cemeteries, too. They're always so peaceful.

I truly hope the souls of the people buried there are still around within other people.

I'm glad you were able to forget COVID for a while, Joe.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2020, 8:15 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I like cemeteries, too. They're always so peaceful.

I truly hope the souls of the people buried there are still around within other people.

I'm glad you were able to forget COVID for a while, Joe.

Well I haven't looked around a cemetery properly for years so it was something quite new to me, and because new experiences are quite limited at the moment thanks to the pandemic, going to the cemetery is one of the things that aren't affected by the pandemic. :)

AbigailzPg
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Feb 2021, 7:38 pm

I think you need to take care of yourself and ignore the opinions of others

NaturalEntity
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2021, 12:32 pm

Try going for a walk around your neighbourhood every 2 or 3 days. That should help a bit.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2021, 10:01 am

If you need a purpose to motivate you to walk but want to avoid putting yourself at risk by interacting with people, Pokemon Go can be a good solo activity to do outdoors. I've found that the desire to get just one more Pokestop (and then another, and another...) has motivated me to walk a lot farther than I otherwise would.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

18 Mar 2021, 10:32 pm

You probably already considered this but perhaps you can try getting more sunlight inside your apartment like having the blinds/curtains open during the day & spending some time near a window when the sun is shinning in. I can understand if that would make you feel more anxious thou cuz of neighbors & others possibly being able to see inside. If you do keep the blinds/curtains closed for those reasons, you could try getting some curtains that allow sunlight to shine through while stopping everyone from being able to see through them. I get that walking around an apartment can be boring & tedious but you could try other types of exercising or getting a treadmill or exercise-bike & doing that near a window during the day, or perhaps something like the Wii Fit near a window(I never even used a Wii). You could also open the window to have some fresh air & cool off if your like me & get hot & sweaty very fast when exerting yourself. I know that can be the poor man's version of going for a walk thou & it can be harder to motivate yourself to exercise when at home. Walking is one of the few forms of exercising I like & I've started doing that aLOT less over the last few years. I really should try getting back in that habit & doing some exercising in our apartment as well.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition