What's the point of getting married?

Page 1 of 5 [ 67 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2020, 4:23 pm

My cousin is an atheist who lives with her fiance and is going to get married this coming year. Two families will be there - not including us or his cousins. Just immediate families. No honeymoon after.

I don't get the point. It won't change anything for them and there's not even much of a party or honeymoon.

She says she doesn't want kids just her dog.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2020, 4:30 pm

Prehaps they are doing it for the sake of their dog?

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2020, 4:32 pm

The fear of getting old....alone.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2020, 4:51 pm

It is that they are in love. I hope the best for them.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2020, 4:57 pm

Marriage has legal implications--which some might consider beneficial.

Benefits from employers or the government can slosh over to benefiting a spouse. So, unmarried, it's everyone for themself; married, your benefits can also benefit your spouse--assuming you love your spouse you might like to do things that protect them, too. (For instance, survivor benefits or medical benefits.)

A spouse can sometimes represent you when you are not able to represent yourself. (For instance, when you are unconscious in a hospital--I've been on both sides of that! 8O )

A spouse can more easily and more automatically inherit stuff when the other dies. (I'm in no hurry to be on either side of that one!)

Marriage might also make the relationship more durable. An unmarried couple can very easily breakup, someone just has to move out. Breaking up a marriage takes more effort and more time--and that delay might be all it takes for them reconcile their differences.

Romantically and socially? Maybe benefits there, too???

quite an extreme
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2020, 5:35 pm

Depends a lot on the country but it can also result in paying less taxes.

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2020, 6:39 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

I mean compared to common law marriage.

It made sense when they were getting married in front of 100 people. She's very NT and likes a lot of friends around her.

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2020, 6:45 pm

Double Retired wrote:
Marriage has legal implications--which some might consider beneficial.

Benefits from employers or the government can slosh over to benefiting a spouse. So, unmarried, it's everyone for themself; married, your benefits can also benefit your spouse--assuming you love your spouse you might like to do things that protect them, too. (For instance, survivor benefits or medical benefits.)

A spouse can sometimes represent you when you are not able to represent yourself. (For instance, when you are unconscious in a hospital--I've been on both sides of that! 8O )

A spouse can more easily and more automatically inherit stuff when the other dies. (I'm in no hurry to be on either side of that one!)

Marriage might also make the relationship more durable. An unmarried couple can very easily breakup, someone just has to move out. Breaking up a marriage takes more effort and more time--and that delay might be all it takes for them reconcile their differences.

He gets the same NHS as everyone else, working for them doesn't get you extra stuff.

It does mean he's super smart though. Whenever a medical thing happens in the family, rather than having to wait for an appointment we can just call him up & he'll give an off the record suggestion of what he thinks it might be. Of course we still visit the dr after but we know whether to be concerned or not. And he knew more stuff about covid avoidance etc than our family did.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

27 Dec 2020, 8:27 pm

Double Retired wrote:
It depends on the culture in the area but in more conservative areas they tend to frown on people shacking up together. My 2nd girlfriend lived in Texas & her parents would of cut her off if we moved in together unmarried. That was not an issue with the couple KT was talking about but perhaps the couple thought that certain people in the area would of had an issue like potential employers or certain organizations in the area.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

martianprincess
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2020, 8:34 pm

Do you mean a wedding specifically, or marriage in general?

I never understood the point of weddings.

I like wild orchids and neighbors with wide orbits

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2020, 8:46 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

Pragmatism is a big part of it, imo. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2020, 8:47 pm

KT67 wrote:
My cousin is an atheist who lives with her fiance and is going to get married this coming year. Two families will be there - not including us or his cousins. Just immediate families. No honeymoon after.

I don't get the point. It won't change anything for them and there's not even much of a party or honeymoon.

She says she doesn't want kids just her dog.

For some people, marriage shows a greater commitment to the relationship. 8)

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2020, 8:52 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:

lol...

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2020, 8:56 pm

madbutnotmad wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:

lol...

Ah. I am glad someone got my humour. Hehe! (I disn't mean anything bad by it).

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2020, 9:17 pm

Personally, I understand that Marriage was originally a religious behaviour, and thought by the religious
to be protective for woman and any children made within a relationship.

This human behaviourism is ancient and in a behaviour that is found in most religions.
Such religions that were founded many thousands of years ago, where woman played a different role
in society as they do today.

Woman, in many ancient societies were often delegated to duties such as making babies and home making.
Leaving the traditional roles of fighting and work to the men.

There usually were no services available for woman without husbands or employment,
so woman were often completely dependent on their husbands, especially if they had children to care for.

I believe that marriage was either given by God or invented by some wise men (or woman) in order to set up
some form of protection for the woman and children, and this tradition was handed down through the many centuries
that have passed.

In our modern terms however, after all that the world has been through, with Christianity reformation, the enlightenment period, the development and implementation of contemporary political philosophies such as marxism and democracy, many 1st world human societies are less ruled by religious factions and more by liberal humanitarian democratic political views which have had a positive influence on society and involve all sorts of live saving devices such as the social services in each country.

With such social services in place such as benefits given to people who are disabled, people who are under a certain income level, single woman who have families are less dependent on their partners for survival.

Personally, unless you are highly religious, I recommend that you never get married.
If you just want to have a party, have a party, even if its to celebrate your relationship.

But don't go through marriage, as it is hell.
Although there are those who consider getting married a great romantic gesture, and others (usually woman no offense) like the opportunity to throw a party and get dressed up so that they are the centre of attention.

Personally, think you could use the money wasted on a wedding and honeymoon on starting a business,
or going on one super cool holiday around the world or something.

Or perhaps a new car! Or if it happens, to pay for a kids future.
Instead of a crazy party and a religious service that you don't even believe in.
Surely if there is a God, then lying in his house of worship isn't good either? I don't know what would be worse
not believing and not getting married, or not believing and pretending you do and getting married for fun?

But there ya go.
Also if you don't get married, then there are no complex matters to deal with regards to rights.
Who owns what, who owes who.

Although, i strongly recommend anyone who makes babies to look after babies once they are born,
financially and emotionally. Its not a religious thing, its simple righteousness and love.

Clueless2017
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2020, 10:28 pm

I married for LOVE :heart: :heart: :heart: ...Because i am a romantic at heart...Though i confess, initially, i was reluctant...My beloved (Aspie) husband had failed in two serious long-term relationships before me...Still, he wanted to marry ME to see what it was like...And so, i asked him, "what happens if our marriage fails and we divorce?"..."Then, we'll re-marry," he responded...That's when i knew he was serious...But the actual proposal, rings and all, came appx. 7 months after, on December 18, 2017 to be specific... :heart: :heart: :heart:

To me, the institution of marriage is sacred...God created man & woman to become "one" in the sense that a married couple enjoys the most intimate of human relationships...And when God instituted marriage, he meant for the relationship to be permanent...In fact, marriage is a mutual promise of commitment that provides security for the pair as well as any children of the union...In my Community Property State of California, the institution of marriage is a legal protection under the law in so many ways...

Having said all of the above, i highly recommend marriage...Studies show it is good for our health...This is especially true in the case of those on the spectrum...(I read it somewhere)...And i have witnessed it in the case of my beloved (Aspie) husband...Health-wise, he has been much more stable since married to me...True Christians will obey the laws of their land which require that common-law unions are legally registered in order to enjoy all the protections under the law...