Does anyone know how to fix this cell phone problem?

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2020, 3:35 pm

My texting will not work unless I am connected to wi-fi. But before, I never needed that in order for texting to work. Does anyone know how to get texting to work without a wi-fi connection since I was able to before.

I took it to the company that sold me the phone, and they said they are stumped and do not know what the problem is and that I would have to get it sent away to get it fixed, which could take a few weeks they said. But before I resort to that option, does anyone know what the problem could be? Thanks!

diagnosedafter50
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Dec 2020, 3:54 pm

ironpony wrote:
My texting will not work unless I am connected to wi-fi. But before, I never needed that in order for texting to work. Does anyone know how to get texting to work without a wi-fi connection since I was able to before.

I took it to the company that sold me the phone, and they said they are stumped and do not know what the problem is and that I would have to get it sent away to get it fixed, which could take a few weeks they said. But before I resort to that option, does anyone know what the problem could be? Thanks!

My android texting has gone a bit funny in a different way.
Sorry to ask a stupid question but have you tried to power it down or restart it?
Factory reset? (bear in mind I do not know a lot about mobiles)

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2020, 3:59 pm

Switch off the Wi-Fi option.  Bluetooth should be left on so you can use earpieces and other hands-free devices.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2020, 4:27 pm

Oh okay yes, I have tried all those things. The people at the shop did the factory reset as well and it didn't change anything.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2020, 4:31 pm

ironpony wrote:
Oh okay yes, I have tried all those things. The people at the shop did the factory reset as well and it didn't change anything.
Then maybe you need a new phone.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2020, 4:44 pm

Yeah maybe it's just they said could take a few weeks to fix and I kind of want the phone for work if possible. Unless the company would give me a loner until then, if that's how it works?

Is there anyway to figure out what the problem could be?

diagnosedafter50
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Dec 2020, 5:14 pm

ironpony wrote:
Yeah maybe it's just they said could take a few weeks to fix and I kind of want the phone for work if possible. Unless the company would give me a loner until then, if that's how it works?

Is there anyway to figure out what the problem could be?

Have you tried googling the problem, put in the make of the phone, that's what I do with android questions.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2020, 6:11 pm

Yeah I've tried that a few times now but I can only find that it says to do things that were already recommended on here. It doesn't say the real route problem as to why it's doing this so I am not sure what else to do.

diagnosedafter50
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Dec 2020, 6:37 pm

ironpony wrote:
Yeah I've tried that a few times now but I can only find that it says to do things that were already recommended on here. It doesn't say the real route problem as to why it's doing this so I am not sure what else to do.

I wish I could offer some suggestion for you.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2020, 7:33 pm

Oh okay but thank you very much still everyone! Well I found out something. It's only my parents phones that cannot text when I am away from wi-fi. My friends are still able to. Why is that? Is it a cellphone company thing and only certain phones will text if there is wi-fi?

Dial1194
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Jan 2021, 7:19 am

Tricky to say without knowing what's been checked up to now.

For instance, my first impulse would be to check if the cellular data option in the phone settings has been switched to 'off' accidentally. But I don't know if you've already checked that.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2021, 2:22 pm

Oh okay, I don't have data but I never needed it before to send text messages though. I tried turning data on but it still won't work unless I am near wi-fi. So I guess that's not it?

But is there not a reason why this would happen that anyone can think of that I thought might be the key to fixing it, or no explanation as to why it could happen at all?

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2021, 2:48 pm

ironpony wrote:
Oh okay, I don't have data but I never needed it before to send text messages though. I tried turning data on but it still won't work unless I am near wi-fi. So I guess that's not it?

But is there not a reason why this would happen that anyone can think of that I thought might be the key to fixing it, or no explanation as to why it could happen at all?

How old is the phone? If it's a 3G device, certain services may stop working as 3G is being phased out. We're well into 4G and now they're rolling out 5G. G stands for generation. The networks that third generation phones use are being discontinued, so may not work properly if at all.

That's all I can think of.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2021, 3:04 pm

Oh okay, thanks. I've had it for 9 months now, but not sure how old as in when it was made.

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2021, 3:18 pm

ironpony wrote:
Oh okay, thanks. I've had it for 9 months now, but not sure how old as in when it was made.

If it was a new phone when you bought it, it should already be 4G. Unless it was old and refurbished. Does it say 3G or 4G anywhere on the screen (usually small and at the top right)?

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2021, 4:49 pm

I can't see a 3G or 4G on the screen anywhere. Is there anywhere within the phone I can look this up?