What is your Concept of Romantic LOVE? Please DEFINE it.

Page 1 of 5 [ 68 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Clueless2017
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2020, 8:21 pm

I am an NT, happily married to my beloved (Aspie) husband...I am very much interested to know if the concept of Romantic LOVE differs from NTs and those on the spectrum...If so, in which way?...Please elaborate...Obviously, there are no right or wrong answers...Your contribution to this thread is greatly appreciated...Thank you in advance...And stay safe... :heart: :heart: :heart:

Post-Script: Just to clarify, all i am asking for here is that you attempt to define ROMANTIC LOVE according to your 'dictionary'...Thanks again... :D

Last edited by Clueless2017 on 29 Dec 2020, 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2020, 9:06 pm

My concept of romantic love (for my beloved NT partner) is liking what I see (ie, feeling attracted to him), getting along, working things out together as a partnership, being honest with each other, trust, compromise, accepting and getting along with each other's families (trust me, this helps), being there for each other... actually there are so many more things I can't think of right now.

To me my boyfriend is part of my family. If we disagree with something, I still love him and I think of ways to work things out and compromise. I've had arguments with him before, that even ended up with me crying on the bed and saying how horrible he is. But this doesn't occur often, and we're always sorry and make up again the same day. Just like I did whenever I had arguments with my family (I don't argue with them so much now because I don't live with them).

Clueless2017
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2020, 9:19 pm

Joe90 wrote:
My concept of romantic love (for my beloved NT partner) is liking what I see (ie, feeling attracted to him), getting along, working things out together as a partnership, being honest with each other, trust, compromise, accepting and getting along with each other's families (trust me, this helps), being there for each other... actually there are so many more things I can't think of right now.

To me my boyfriend is part of my family. If we disagree with something, I still love him and I think of ways to work things out and compromise. I've had arguments with him before, that even ended up with me crying on the bed and saying how horrible he is. But this doesn't occur often, and we're always sorry and make up again the same day. Just like I did whenever I had arguments with my family (I don't argue with them so much now because I don't live with them).

... ... ...
Thank you Joe...Your definition of Romantic Love is right on point...I especially like how you shared, here, a very realistic perspective...Indeed, Romantic Love is not always blissful...In fact, more often than not it leads to heartache...Because conflict is inevitable considering that it is a partnership between two very different beings...with different upbringings...perhaps two different cultures as in my case...and we add to the mix neuro-diversity... :D ...Yet, at the same time, Romantic Love is totally worth it when it is mutual...Greetings to you and your boyfriend...Stay safe :heart: :heart: :heart:

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2020, 10:31 pm

I think that the answer to the question is really dependable on who answers, and you really could get a lot of variation when it comes to answers.

I would say that people with ASD like a lot of the same things in a relationship that NT people like.

There may be some problems with particular people with ASD, depending on how their neural networks work,
with each being judged on its own merit. As the old saying, no two ASD people are alike, although some recognisable traits from a spectrum of traits can be recognised in order to identify the condition and diagnose it in an individual.

So what does this mean.

Well, if you wanted to work out what people with ASD liked in terms of a romantic relationship, you perhaps would have to do a tailor made profile for each individual person with ASD, which detailed certain stereotypical behaviour for each individual, if the behaviour was thought to be significant.

For example. A common feature of some people's with ASD's cognitive behaviour is affected by a type of rigidity of thought which can affect that person's ability to function or cope with some aspects of a relationship.

One common trait among people with ASD is that we have a tendency to interpret information literally and have very little tolerance for deviation from literal interpretation.

For example, in some people with ASD, we are compelled to be very honest, and to expect others to be honest.
Even to the extent that our honest opinion becomes tactless.

I personally am fairly much like this, and prefer not to lie. Of course, my IQ is above average, so I am intelligent enough to lie, in fact, as I am a very creative person, I imagine I could make a very good liar if I were to put my mind to it.

However, i bluntly refuse based on moral virtue, even if it is to my detriment. This may appear to be stupid.
But personally, I am not particularly materialistic, so don't care so much about material loss, which perhaps a person who is less honest and less intelligent may be extremely upset over.

How does such a way affect romantic relationships.
Well, if both parties recognise this feature of how ASD affects me, and works within a framework that understands this, the sure, a relationship can work well. But i do understand that such partners are very rare.

How has having relationships with people who are NT who do not understand my neurological differences affect me?
Well, I believe that having relationships with NT woman who are dishonest and manipulative has damaged me a great deal, especially in my last relationship, which was with my ex-wife, who portrayed herself as pure as the driven snow, and as honest as the day is long, while in reality she couldn't have been further from the truth.

Such a relationship for such a person with this dynamic of ASD symptoms, is without a doubt going to damage the person with ASD. As constant inconsistencies in outcome which do not match what was to be expected results in nothing but an unreliable result for all outcomes. In simple language, dishonest people to the analytical Asperger end up being rejected due to their unreliability, especially if accompanied with psychological abuse and domestic violence (violent woman).

Although our disability is still fairly unrecognised as a disability. I do think that the ordeal I have been through with my ex-wife, was no short of abuse of someone with a disability, which i think isn't that far off child or animal abuse.

The only aspect of my circumstances that confuses the world as to whether what i have been subjected to is or is not abuse, is due to my IQ level. As for sure, if i also had an intellectual disability (if my IQ was lower than 75), then people would without a doubt have stepped in and got my ex-wife prosecuted. Or perhaps not, because I am a man, so have a penis rather than being a woman, and female genitals.

Perhaps one aspect of equality that woman aren't so keen at pushing for change in. The inequality in how the law is so keen to prosecute men but ignores any complaints from men who are psychologically or physically abused by abusive woman.

But that is perhaps another story that perhaps deserves its own thread, or perhaps best forgotten (leaving more men to suffer abuse at the hands of sadistic woman instead).

So yep, my point is, I think if you really wanted to get a grasp of the differences, a more in-depth study or survey would be needed, as like i mentioned early, if you have met one person with ASD, you have met just one person with ASD.
We are all different.

Interestingly enough, I did read about a mother and daughter who started up a dating site for people with Asperger syndrome, who included a psychological profile for each of their members.

Sadly, the site went down following the death of the husband of the mother, which must have had a massive impact on the mother and daughter, as the website stopped working and people got upset, as they got charged for services that they didn't get. Although this was due to the mother and daughter grieving and not done to cause intentional distress.

So, sadly, I can not refer you to this site.

Autism Research Centre in Cambridge UK, may have some articles or studies on this area.
The ARC is supposed to be one of the leading research centres in the world and who i believe are very open to reveal the findings of their research.

Clueless2017
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2020, 11:56 pm

madbutnotmad wrote:
I think that the answer to the question is really dependable on who answers, and you really could get a lot of variation when it comes to answers.

I would say that people with ASD like a lot of the same things in a relationship that NT people like.

There may be some problems with particular people with ASD, depending on how their neural networks work,
with each being judged on its own merit. As the old saying, no two ASD people are alike, although some recognisable traits from a spectrum of traits can be recognised in order to identify the condition and diagnose it in an individual.

So what does this mean.

Well, if you wanted to work out what people with ASD liked in terms of a romantic relationship, you perhaps would have to do a tailor made profile for each individual person with ASD, which detailed certain stereotypical behaviour for each individual, if the behaviour was thought to be significant.

For example. A common feature of some people's with ASD's cognitive behaviour is affected by a type of rigidity of thought which can affect that person's ability to function or cope with some aspects of a relationship.

One common trait among people with ASD is that we have a tendency to interpret information literally and have very little tolerance for deviation from literal interpretation.

For example, in some people with ASD, we are compelled to be very honest, and to expect others to be honest.
Even to the extent that our honest opinion becomes tactless.

I personally am fairly much like this, and prefer not to lie. Of course, my IQ is above average, so I am intelligent enough to lie, in fact, as I am a very creative person, I imagine I could make a very good liar if I were to put my mind to it.

However, i bluntly refuse based on moral virtue, even if it is to my detriment. This may appear to be stupid.
But personally, I am not particularly materialistic, so don't care so much about material loss, which perhaps a person who is less honest and less intelligent may be extremely upset over.

How does such a way affect romantic relationships.
Well, if both parties recognise this feature of how ASD affects me, and works within a framework that understands this, the sure, a relationship can work well. But i do understand that such partners are very rare.

How has having relationships with people who are NT who do not understand my neurological differences affect me?
Well, I believe that having relationships with NT woman who are dishonest and manipulative has damaged me a great deal, especially in my last relationship, which was with my ex-wife, who portrayed herself as pure as the driven snow, and as honest as the day is long, while in reality she couldn't have been further from the truth.

Such a relationship for such a person with this dynamic of ASD symptoms, is without a doubt going to damage the person with ASD. As constant inconsistencies in outcome which do not match what was to be expected results in nothing but an unreliable result for all outcomes. In simple language, dishonest people to the analytical Asperger end up being rejected due to their unreliability, especially if accompanied with psychological abuse and domestic violence (violent woman).

Although our disability is still fairly unrecognised as a disability. I do think that the ordeal I have been through with my ex-wife, was no short of abuse of someone with a disability, which i think isn't that far off child or animal abuse.

The only aspect of my circumstances that confuses the world as to whether what i have been subjected to is or is not abuse, is due to my IQ level. As for sure, if i also had an intellectual disability (if my IQ was lower than 75), then people would without a doubt have stepped in and got my ex-wife prosecuted. Or perhaps not, because I am a man, so have a penis rather than being a woman, and female genitals.

Perhaps one aspect of equality that woman aren't so keen at pushing for change in. The inequality in how the law is so keen to prosecute men but ignores any complaints from men who are psychologically or physically abused by abusive woman.

But that is perhaps another story that perhaps deserves its own thread, or perhaps best forgotten (leaving more men to suffer abuse at the hands of sadistic woman instead).

So yep, my point is, I think if you really wanted to get a grasp of the differences, a more in-depth study or survey would be needed, as like i mentioned early, if you have met one person with ASD, you have met just one person with ASD.
We are all different.

Interestingly enough, I did read about a mother and daughter who started up a dating site for people with Asperger syndrome, who included a psychological profile for each of their members.

Sadly, the site went down following the death of the husband of the mother, which must have had a massive impact on the mother and daughter, as the website stopped working and people got upset, as they got charged for services that they didn't get. Although this was due to the mother and daughter grieving and not done to cause intentional distress.

So, sadly, I can not refer you to this site.

Autism Research Centre in Cambridge UK, may have some articles or studies on this area.
The ARC is supposed to be one of the leading research centres in the world and who i believe are very open to reveal the findings of their research.

... ... ...

I am beyond grateful to you for taking the time to reply to this thread...I already read your l-o-n-g post, and my heart bends towards you for your horrible experience in your past marriage... :cry: :cry: :cry:

First and foremost, i am not a psychologist...I studied the law instead...For purposes of this thread, I am not interested in an in-depth research on the differences between NTs and those on the spectrum in romantic relationships...My question is really simple...Regardless of gender and regardless of marital status, i am very much interested on how people on the spectrum DEFINE ROMANTIC LOVE...Perhaps, i should rephrase the question...

Anyway, your response is very insightful as sad as it is...I am so-o-o sorry that your ex-wife marked you in such a negative way...May God forgive her...And may you find inner peace far from her...Best wishes to you on your healing... :heart: :heart: :heart:

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2021, 2:57 pm

I define romantic love based on passion and a strong connection and it ideally should be at a distance. I don't feel there is a need for "two to become one", and ideally romantic love involving NDs should evolve without trying to merge views or social circles. It works much better if people remain themselves and nurture their passion and connection instead. I even think that much of the conflicts in neurodiverse relationships can be traced back to trying to control each other. Many NDs are very hostile to being controlled.

Clueless2017
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2021, 3:24 pm

rdos wrote:
I define romantic love based on passion and a strong connection and it ideally should be at a distance. I don't feel there is a need for "two to become one", and ideally romantic love involving NDs should evolve without trying to merge views or social circles. It works much better if people remain themselves and nurture their passion and connection instead. I even think that much of the conflicts in neurodiverse relationships can be traced back to trying to control each other. Many NDs are very hostile to being controlled.

... ... ...
Thank you for sharing your idea if Romantic Love... :wink:

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2021, 5:07 am

Quote:
Please DEFINE it.

No.

Clueless2017
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2021, 7:36 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Quote:
Please DEFINE it.

No.

... ... ...
:D :heart: :wink:

Clueless2017
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2021, 7:43 am

Clueless2017 wrote:
rdos wrote:

... ... ...
Thank you for sharing your idea if Romantic Love... :wink:

... ... ...
Pardon me...But i must take this question further...Is this how you always felt about LOVE and RELATIONSHIPS...I mean, the need to maintain a SAFE DISTANCE per se???...Or, is this something you developed overtime???...Perhaps, as a direct result of persistent conflicts in your relationships arising from your autistic traits???...If you don't feel comfortable responding, here; that is ok...Thank you anyhow...:wink:

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2021, 11:42 am

Clueless2017 wrote:
Pardon me...But i must take this question further...Is this how you always felt about LOVE and RELATIONSHIPS...I mean, the need to maintain a SAFE DISTANCE per se???...Or, is this something you developed overtime???...Perhaps, as a direct result of persistent conflicts in your relationships arising from your autistic traits???...If you don't feel comfortable responding, here; that is ok...Thank you anyhow...:wink:

No, it was something I discovered while in high school, then forgot about, but lately have explored again. I didn't receive any kind of relationship education as younger, and so I did things naturally. I had several "distance" relationships in high school and college. They ended when school ended. After college, I started my MSc education, and the students were almost all male, and so the method no longer worked. I didn't like the party life, and so I didn't have much contact with women during my 20s. A factor was also that I still had a connection to the college girl. Seven years ago I got a crush on a girl and we have played this at a distance ever since. This have made me realize that this is the way I prefer things. I also think a factor why it remained at a distance was that she couldn't go through with a real meeting, possibly because of her bad experiences with past relationships. Anyway, this way of doing things made us discover that we don't need to talk to communicate, but rather can do it at a distance just as well. We also have a bit of an unusual online contact.

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2021, 12:48 pm

Clueless2017 wrote:
I am an NT, happily married to my beloved (Aspie) husband...I am very much interested to know if the concept of Romantic LOVE differs from NTs and those on the spectrum...If so, in which way?...Please elaborate...Obviously, there are no right or wrong answers...Your contribution to this thread is greatly appreciated...Thank you in advance...And stay safe... :heart: :heart: :heart:

Post-Script: Just to clarify, all i am asking for here is that you attempt to define ROMANTIC LOVE according to your 'dictionary'...Thanks again... :D

I'm not sure if any answer I give would be related to autism. I score pretty high with alexithymia type traits and in general I'm not an emotional person. To say I can be detached is an understatement. If that's nature or nurture though is beyond my comprehension. It's hard to pull those things apart sometimes.

That said, I would guess that romantic love is a shared feeling, bond, fondness, trust, desire to be with and think about someone...with a (generally) physical component. I'm not limiting physical interactions here to sex, it could be physical closeness things like curling up with someone on a couch to nap together. It could sitting 1000 miles apart on a phone being contented by nothing more than hearing that person's voice... anything that causes those shared feelings to intensify, things that one would not do with, say, a close friend, but with a partner. A different level of intimacy and familiarity that one has with a friend, based in wanting to be with each other in whatever way works for the couple. That and an intention to stay together at least in the short term, and as time progresses, maybe even into the long term.

martianprincess
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2021, 4:51 pm

An emotional checklist with a rare connection.

I can't say that it's ever truly happened to me. It's always been dissolved by the illusion of infatuation. I'm sad about it but I'm not sure what I can do other than hope for the best.

Welp, I'm done being vulnerable for the day. Back to my regulatory scheduled programming.

I like wild orchids and neighbors with wide orbits

Breanbyurn
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Jan 2021, 6:13 pm

rdos wrote:
I even think that much of the conflicts in neurodiverse relationships can be traced back to trying to control each other. Many NDs are very hostile to being controlled.

I remember a study that seemingly goes the opposite direction of what you're saying: that there's a strong correlation between submission/dominance and ASD. Found it: https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/196229949.pdf

Maybe it's got more to do with the evolutionarily preferred hunting style? Is this kind of sexuality actually a playful hunting simulation maybe (involving firm touch aka the ever relaxing "deep touch", biting, clawing, pulling on and playing with hair, squeezing skin, holding down limbs etc.), versus the more NT-style "whip and collar" stuff?

Breanbyurn
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Jan 2021, 6:23 pm

Clueless2017 wrote:

It's a deep, strong, pure, almost child-like, verbally inexpressible connection with a strong sense of eternal belonging present, in other words, it's as if we knew each other from previous lives.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2021, 3:00 am

Breanbyurn wrote:
Clueless2017 wrote:

It's a deep, strong, pure, almost child-like, verbally inexpressible connection with a strong sense of eternal belonging present, in other words, it's as if we knew each other from previous lives.

Agreed. You worded it better than me. :-)