Veteran

30 Dec 2020, 6:17 am

Magz is such a scientist :heart:

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

30 Dec 2020, 8:08 am

magz wrote:
It's natural that one can engage in a nice, civil conversation with some people and can't do it with others. It's natural some topics can be "safely" discussed only in limited groups. It's true about me, too.
In any community large enough, there will be people who like you and people who don't like you. There will be people who understand you well and those who misunderstand you on every occasion. It's inevitable. Size effect.
Moderation is not about making everyone happy, it's about keeping everyone within some boundaries of tolerable behaviors.
Here is wisdom.

Tempus Fugit
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2020, 8:16 am

Pepe wrote:
Tempus Fugit wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Tempus Fugit wrote:
magz wrote:
Hmmm, you see no difference between lying and being wrong?

If I was making stuff up about someone, then I would be saying things about them that are untrue. I don't see how being wrong cancels out saying things that are untrue, bearing false witness against someone, and stating that it will continue. There's no practical way to work out repeated misrepresentation that's delivered in a contemptuous, sarcastic, demeaning, insulting way, as "oh they just misunderstood". <removed> has been at it for weeks in several threads. I'm convinced he knows exactly what he's doing. I would know if I was doing it. That goes for <removed> too.

Is them leaving me alone too much to ask?

Is asking them to stop cranking out toxicity too much to ask?

It happens to me too.
<squawk> has been attacking me for years.
It got to a point where I had enough and told <squawk> off. :mrgreen:

And <bock-ark> is another one who will basically take the opposite view, no matter what I say. :mrgreen:

The trouble is, I usually have strong thought out reason for saying what I do, so if <squawk>, <bock-ark> and <hoo-hoo> argue against me, they usually end up with egg on the face. :mrgreen:

"Devil's advocacy" is doggy doo-doo, in my book. 8)

I'd rather just have a normal honest conversation. There have been those here where that was possible.

I'm the same.
The problem seems to be that some people let their emotions get the better of them.
And presenting a well thought out rational argument confuses and angers them, all too often.
I find it rather amusing, most of the time.

But sometimes I throw in: "Is not! [pout]",
When is gets childish. :mrgreen:

It is like a bloody catfight, sometimes, where reason flies out the window. 8O :mrgreen:

I think you take things too seriously sometimes.
You *are* a more serious person that I am, but then I am more than 30 years older than you. ;)

You don't know how old I am.

I think what's going on is this person is treating me like some old rival. It's basically been a rivalry thing going on on his end, which I didn't catch onto before because I don't know him from Adam. The other user was just horning in and following his lead.

Most of it doesn't belong in that thread, and should probably be moved to Random Discussion. With a title something like "user A's critique of user B".

Whatever. I'm rapidly losing all interest.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2020, 9:02 pm

League_Girl wrote:
If anyone believes a word they say about you, they are being foolish. It's better to just go through your post history and read them and make their own opinion than basing their opinion off of what they heard from others.

Anything I hear about another person online I just take as a grain of salt.

Or playing him.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2020, 9:07 pm

magz wrote:
It's natural that one can engage in a nice, civil conversation with some people and can't do it with others. It's natural some topics can be "safely" discussed only in limited groups. It's true about me, too.
In any community large enough, there will be people who like you and people who don't like you. There will be people who understand you well and those who misunderstand you on every occasion. It's inevitable. Size effect.
Moderation is not about making everyone happy, it's about keeping everyone within some boundaries of tolerable behaviors.

Some places are too constraining/domineering/conservative.
That's why I prefer coming here. 8)

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2020, 10:51 pm

Pepe wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
If anyone believes a word they say about you, they are being foolish. It's better to just go through your post history and read them and make their own opinion than basing their opinion off of what they heard from others.

Or playing him.

What does that mean?

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2020, 6:04 am

League_Girl wrote:
Pepe wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

Or playing him.

What does that mean?

"Pulling his chain".
Mind fracking him. :mrgreen:

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2020, 7:35 am

^What is the difference between that and trolling? Or bullying?

Tempus Fugit
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2020, 9:12 am

Pepe wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
Pepe wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

Or playing him.

What does that mean?

"Pulling his chain".
Mind fracking him. :mrgreen:

Gaslighting.

Tempus Fugit
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2020, 9:16 am

blazingstar wrote:

None that I can see.

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2020, 11:39 am

The key to civilised discourse is understanding that disagreeing fundamentally with someone does not mean you have to hate or even dislike them for it. Far too many today feel a difference of opinion as though it were a personal affront or worse some kind of moral failing in the opponent.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2020, 6:06 pm

Tempus Fugit wrote:
blazingstar wrote:

None that I can see.

Trolling is something a troll does to draw attention to themselves. They just pick a random target and it has nothing to do with you as the person, all they want is a reaction. They have nothing against you in general. They don't even care who you are. They generally move on when you don't give them the reaction they wanted.

Bullying is something a bully does to draw attention to you as the victim and they intentionally pick you as their target. You are not random. They won't move on from you and they will do anything to get you to react even if it means spread lies and rumors about you to ruin you. They will make it impossible for you to ignore them. Trolls don't try to do that.

https://itstillworks.com/difference-bet ... -5054.html

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2020, 7:35 pm

Thank you, League Girl!

Tempus Fugit
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2020, 9:56 pm

I've seen certain people both troll and bully. I think with certain people it's a matter of not having a filter. Which I don't see as an ASD thing online, because most users here aren't like that. But I do think ASD people are more sensitive to trolling and bullying taking place around them.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2021, 4:21 am

I wonder what would be worse? Being called a troll or a bully?

I would say at least being called a troll, it is at least a compliment because they are actually saying, "You are not really that stupid, I think you are smarter than that."

But it can also be an insult too if they mean, "I don't think you have these problems, you're just using this forum as your virtual reality role playing a character with autism."

Tempus Fugit
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2021, 4:49 am

Just having an opinion someone doesn't like can make you a troll in their eyes.