How do female teen aspies experience crushes/attraction?

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

Talonos
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Dec 2020, 6:16 pm

Hi! I'm aspie, male, and recently graduated from grad school. I'm writing a novel about a group of high-school students. One of the characters, Cadence, is a female high-functioning Aspie. Because this is a book about high-school students, romance is obviously involved, and I want to make sure I do it justice when writing scenes from her PoV.

I know how *I* experienced romantic attraction when I was in high school (it was terribly confusing) but I'm male and Cadence is female. Because much of romance is gender-mediated, I thought it would be a good idea to ask females on the AS spectrum what *their* experience with romance was before I over-generalize my own experiences onto a female character.

If you all don't mind a college-grad interloper in your adolescent forum, may I ask how you experienced crushes, how you responded to those strange feelings, and, if applicable, how you eventually came to terms with your romantic/sexual self? If you know of any good resources to point me towards that would assist, I'd be interested as well.

Aspie disclaimer: if this is an inappropriate request, please forgive me. I'm not sure where best to find this information, and asking primary sources seemed to be the most direct way.

Thanks!