Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2021, 1:19 pm

jimmy m wrote:
In a perfect world where an ample supply of vaccine is available and some (any) kind of coherent policy is in place, it would be sensible to provide vaccines to those who have specific medical needs that would get them to the front of the line. But we have nothing of the sort.

Right now the best thing we can do is use simple determinants like age, job/career, and being in an assisted living facility or nursing home to push people to the head of the line. Anything more will only make a dysfunctional system even more so. People with the greatest need will be lost in the mad rush – exactly what this flawed policy was supposed to prevent.

Biden has been president for all of five days. He needs to sort out the mess the previous administration has created through bad management.

But I don't understand your complaint. Are nursing homes not a priority population? You seem to imply they are not, yet they have been prioritized consistently. You seem to be confused that one population is identified and that means all the others are ignored. Multiple populations can be addressed at the same time.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2021, 9:29 am

Jiheisho wrote:
Biden has been president for all of five days. He needs to sort out the mess the previous administration has created through bad management.

But I don't understand your complaint. Are nursing homes not a priority population? You seem to imply they are not, yet they have been prioritized consistently. You seem to be confused that one population is identified and that means all the others are ignored. Multiple populations can be addressed at the same time.

Not really a complaint but rather a discussion of the problems of COVID Vaccine rollout. The first tiers of vaccine as you noted were given to health care worker and nursing home residents. After this group, who was next in line. Many States have set their own guidelines. For example smokers were given the next place in line for the shots in several states. As one article wrote: There can be no sane explanation for deciding to put smokers ahead of severe asthmatics or people with high blood pressure. Other states gave criminals in jails the next priority. Very elaborate plans were developed and so strictly enforced that it caused many vials of the vaccine to be tossed in the trash because they expired and the providers decided that it wasn't worth the financial risk to make sure every dose found someone to give it to.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2021, 5:45 am

At the Guantanamo Bay lockup in Cuba, 9/11 mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed (aka "KSM") and other detainees were scheduled to begin receiving their shots as soon as next week, a Defense Department spokesman confirmed, according to the Post.

Critics of possible coronavirus protection for KSM – who was believed to have caused about 3,000 deaths in September 2001 – included retired New York City firefighter Michael O’Connell, who was among those doing search-and-rescue work after the Twin Towers fell, according to the Post.

"This is a real kick in the b---s," O’Connell told the newspaper. "It’s very upsetting. It’s absolutely disgusting."

The order for Gitmo’s 40 remaining detainees to start receiving vaccinations was signed Wednesday by Terry Adirim, principal deputy assistant secretary of defense, an appointee of President Biden who was sworn in the same day Biden took office, the Post reported.

Source: OJ Simpson gets vaccinated ahead of you – and 9/11 mastermind KSM may too: reports

nican
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Jan 2021, 10:47 am

I think that prisoners should be given priority over the healthy population because of the COVID-19 tendancy to spread like wildfire in prisons. Many of the people who work there can catch it and released people can spread it in the community. Prisons are not a closed space and if the virus spread there the community is more at risk. So it makes sense to vaccinate prisoners and prison workers first and then the rest of the population. However, I do agree that they should not be given priority over the elderly and health workers.
I think that people living in recluse community should be given priority also because of the difficulty to give health access if they get COVID.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2021, 8:29 pm

Khalid Sheikh Mohammed masterminded the 9/11 attack. The casualties included people from around the globe. Twenty-four Canadians died in what became known as the "9/11" attacks.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2021, 2:39 am

Apparently India (?) vaccines the working population first. I suppose that makes sense; people who work in essential jobs and must go out the most because of it are also the likeliest catchers and spreaders. Maybe people who work in grocery stores, drive buses etc. should get the vaccines after the medical staff and people in serious risk groups? Office workers and people who can work from home could get theirs after them.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2021, 6:38 pm

A 52-year-old SoulCycle instructor and Instagram influencer in New York City netted a coveted coronavirus vaccine on Staten Island, justifying the move by arguing that she is an "educator," according to a report.

Stacey Griffith scored the jab Friday, even as the city faces a significant shortage of vaccines that has led to tens of thousands of appointments being postponed and the temporary closure of inoculation sites spanning the city.

But shortly after Griffith shared the post with her more than 64,000 followers, she faced the wrath of commenters who said that they and their loved ones had yet to be able to get their hands on the vaccine — in some cases despite qualifying factors including serious underlying illnesses, the report said.

Source: Instagram influencer got COVID-19 vaccine in NYC, arguing she’s an ‘educator’