Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

nadroJ
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2021, 12:36 pm

I'm currently working on an open source software for scientist's off all level and people to assign experiments and projects for each other to create a rich data base of new world statistic's, data and knowledge, run by the users - an open platform, not a forum however. The project's assigned will be infinite.

Weather the software will actually be relevant and used by a lot of members, I'm not sure. But I'm having fun learning coding and creating the software anyway.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2021, 9:39 pm

I'd have to think about it, but definitely nothing as impressive as the other people in here. Mostly just Quake mods...I like to do silly things with QuakeC (the game's client-side programming language/script) that most sane people would only do with more extended programming languages. Sometimes they kind of tax the engine a little bit, and/or break the vanilla engine.

One thing that's always impressed me, though, is I'll write programming routines a certain way, and then later, I find out that someone else "invented" the routine and had it named after them.

I don't know how that works, but gosh, just to think, if I would've come up with it first, and gone around bragging about it...I could've had it named after me...I guess??

Jon81
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Apr 2021, 2:38 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Red Raid wrote:
Wow, to say I'm out of my league would go beyond an understatement.

I didn't start until I was 37 so I'd say if you're already learning languages and if we were comparing age-per-age you're a good 20+ years ahead of me. The thing you find about the work world though is it's 'sink or swim' in a lot of places so the more you can learn now the better.

Thanks for that. I'm 40 and in the process of learning to program for real. I sometimes wonder if there's any point going on since I will be considered a dinosaur by the time I'm ready to take on employment. I just hope they can see the value in having someone born in the early 80's, since that was the last crop of decent people :P

I enjoy Python the most. My biggest passion about coding is getting it as clean as possible, using as few lines as you possibly can. I am very thankful for the AI that has been implemented in the IDE's because I'm awful at details (I'm under ADHD investigation).

Diagnosed with ADHD 2022

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2021, 2:59 pm

Jon81 wrote:
Thanks for that. I'm 40 and in the process of learning to program for real. I sometimes wonder if there's any point going on since I will be considered a dinosaur by the time I'm ready to take on employment. I just hope they can see the value in having someone born in the early 80's, since that was the last crop of decent people :P

I enjoy Python the most. My biggest passion about coding is getting it as clean as possible, using as few lines as you possibly can. I am very thankful for the AI that has been implemented in the IDE's because I'm awful at details (I'm under ADHD investigation).

I don't know much about Python, the only thing I do know is that it's very popular in the sciences and people often say that it's very easy to program in (or at least much easier than many of the other languages).

Its difficult to really get across quite what's required in terms of making B2B level apps but if I could think of the work tools you really need to get started:

1) Know your API's and CRUD as well as what status codes (and headers) you need to append to your calls as well as how many are already taken care of by whatever you're using server-side.
2) This may not always be true but at least developing in .Net Core, Angular, etc. - know your JSON.
3) Client side - know how to cache (in my case for Angular and typescript it's Rxjs BehaviorSubjects)
4) Know how to handle asynchronous functions or methods, which in the javascript world means you have to be familiar with Promises.
5) In most languages - know how to use try/catch/finally blocks as well as when and where it's appropriate to use all three, just try/catch, or just try/finally.

From that a lot of times you'll have third-party providers for grids and things like that. It seems like just about any user feature that would be too labor-intense to draw up from scratch has a third party filling that gap, just make sure that if you do get a license that it's someone that gives you a good variety and where you won't hit significant snags early on if a client wants a grid to provide x or y convenience for them (ie. the more the third party lets you get under the hood and tweak things yourself the better).

The thing that's really grating in B2B - a lot of the time, at least in any sort of mom and pop environment, close to half of your hours logged will be them changing their minds - which really sucks on profitability. It even seems like the front 1/3rd of the project is them thinking that if you were any good as a programmer you would have been able to twist out what they needed within a few months of them giving some bare-bones description of what it needs to do, or based on some repository of industry standards that your company should have but doesn't, and so there can be an uphill battle in terms of them feeling like they have you on the run from the beginning.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2021, 10:07 pm

Jon81 wrote:
My biggest passion about coding is getting it as clean as possible, using as few lines as you possibly can.

I don't really bother. If you saw how messy and wasteful most programs were...yikes.

I mean I do like to keep my code somewhat clean, but I don't try to squeeze things if I don't have to.

I do have a really bad habit of not commenting my code, though. I'm currently looking through a project I haven't touched in two or three years, and having a really hard time making heads or tails of it.
And I know, the last time I worked on it, I was thinking of rewriting some of the functions from scratch.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2021, 10:17 am

My anxiety kicks in when I think someone else will see my code. Social anxiety can make it hard to "just get something working". I like books on "refactoring" because they don't focus on "getting it beautiful the first time".
There are times I have written beautiful code and I REALLY felt good about it. But I quickly discovered no-one cared.
With OO programming there are a lot of "rules" that have nothing to do with working code - in some cases it has to do with making things easy to test or easy to refactor or debug - in other cases it is just "don't upset the Coding Thought Police" - like encapsulation (what is wrong with transparency?) or "never use Global Variables" - but classes exist only once - and class variables are ok. It comes down to "coding social skills" at times. That was one of the really hard things for me - realizing that a professional programmer needs social skills - not just "talk to the machine" skills. And *I* went into computers to avoid people! Even in coding - people skills cannot be completely ignored.

But I digress.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2021, 10:23 am

I find I mostly like clean / beautiful code for my own sanity, ie. that I want to be able to read it more easily on a glance next time. It's very easy on big projects to need to spend a couple hours reorienting oneself to a particular module and I'm trying to think of ways to both make that code more robust and more readable at the same time (labeling can help to some degree but there is an art to dovetailing cleanliness and reducing complexity as much as possible).

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2021, 10:54 am

I find most source code is written from an engineering perspective.  While this is not necessarily a bad thing, it does tend to: (a) lack comment lines and dead-tree documentation; (b) include unnecessary features and un-linked-to modules; and (c) require run-time modules in the same folder when a fully executable app would be more efficient.

Programs should be written from the end-user perspective instead.  After all, the programmer need only construct the program once, and maybe make changes to it once in a while; but the end-user has to use it every day.

:roll: "Efficient / Effective / User-Friendly: Choose any two."

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.