Page 6 of 6 [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2021, 6:58 pm

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
Anyone in need of some sci-fi ideas?

In the near-future the President of the United States creates a set of weapons that makes foreign enemies disappear. He accidentally uses on himself one day and the UN investigates. The UN covers it up by using old video clips and using CG.

A young man named Charlie receives messages from a group of scientists looking for people to conduct experiments on. Charlie dismisses the messages as fake because he believes his path of self-destruction will continue. Charlie agrees one day to undergo an experiment in which he is bitten by a radioactive mouse. Charlie develops the ability to bite through metal.

Acknowledging the fact that humanity will end, thousands of humans travel into Earth’s distant future to avoid the destruction of Earth. They arrive in a time where to their surprise; a new version of Earth awaits their arrival. New forms of humanity have been created and many animal species have evolved being recognition. In this new Earth, the newcomers attempt to build a home. As more people become desperate to go to the new Earth and literally fight for the limited number of places available. As more people go to the new Earth, they experience different versions of history along the way with increasingly interesting results. When the population gets to well above capacity levels allowed, it becomes an indication that the future colony will reach a point where the population will suffer.

The crew of a spaceship named The Aquarius are forced to take weapons that can save cities in need. The crew refuse to be given the weapons citing morals and against breaking the laws of the force that they are members of. The crew soon discover that the weapons have good usage after all; the ability to plant food on the entire planet. The crew is soon forced to consider what to do after; get rid of the weapons or be paid even more to continue their valiant works of feeding every single citizen of Earth.

Those are all pretty outstanding ideas.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2021, 7:00 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:

In the near-future the President of the United States creates a set of weapons that makes foreign enemies disappear. He accidentally uses on himself one day and the UN investigates. The UN covers it up by using old video clips and using CG.

A young man named Charlie receives messages from a group of scientists looking for people to conduct experiments on. Charlie dismisses the messages as fake because he believes his path of self-destruction will continue. Charlie agrees one day to undergo an experiment in which he is bitten by a radioactive mouse. Charlie develops the ability to bite through metal.

Acknowledging the fact that humanity will end, thousands of humans travel into Earth’s distant future to avoid the destruction of Earth. They arrive in a time where to their surprise; a new version of Earth awaits their arrival. New forms of humanity have been created and many animal species have evolved being recognition. In this new Earth, the newcomers attempt to build a home. As more people become desperate to go to the new Earth and literally fight for the limited number of places available. As more people go to the new Earth, they experience different versions of history along the way with increasingly interesting results. When the population gets to well above capacity levels allowed, it becomes an indication that the future colony will reach a point where the population will suffer.

The crew of a spaceship named The Aquarius are forced to take weapons that can save cities in need. The crew refuse to be given the weapons citing morals and against breaking the laws of the force that they are members of. The crew soon discover that the weapons have good usage after all; the ability to plant food on the entire planet. The crew is soon forced to consider what to do after; get rid of the weapons or be paid even more to continue their valiant works of feeding every single citizen of Earth.

Yes they are, but I will keep to my Western story for now.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2021, 7:05 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:

Cool. Years ago just after college, I had been working on a western taking place in turn-of-the-century rural eastern Washington. I lost interest in it for some reason. :cry:

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2021, 1:57 pm

Anyone in need of more sci-fi ideas?

A scientist discovers he can slow down time in a localized area. He then discovers he can move forward in time but he can never go back at all. He uses the “time-bubble” to try and be immortal. Inside the “time-bubble”, one week goes by as one month goes by outside. The protagonist soon finds a world in the very distant future where Earth is has been taken over by multiple fascist regimes. Despite this, he builds a new life for himself. Eventually, things begin to go wrong. The protagonist struggles to build a new “time-bubble” that he believes may get him back to the “starting point.” He knows time is money, but admits that if he is not successful, he will acknowledge the facts that even though he has seen more than most people, he never really lived at all.

A young woman named Alex receives messages from a group of scientists looking for people to conduct experiments on. Alex dismisses the messages as fake because she believes her path of self-destruction will continue. Alex agrees one day to undergo an experiment in which she is bitten by a radioactive gorilla. Alex develops the ability to predict natural disasters before they actually happen.

A group of robots and a group of alien establish a shared base on Mars. Unable to communicate with both groups, astronauts are sent to deal with both groups. Before they destroy, they discover what both groups are truly doing together: both groups are creating drug cartels.

After members of a futuristic cult succeed in escaping the cult, they become stranded on a zero-gravity planet. The only way they can escape the planet is to start their own cult using members from similar cults that arrive in zero-gravity.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2021, 10:41 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Cool. Years ago just after college, I had been working on a western taking place in turn-of-the-century rural eastern Washington. I lost interest in it for some reason. :cry:

That must have been awful.

I've decided to set my Western story to the side to focus primarily on school.

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2021, 4:10 am

I am trying to get back to writing after 10 years. I don't know where to begin, however.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2021, 10:03 am

AprilR wrote:
I am trying to get back to writing after 10 years. I don't know where to begin, however.

Hey there! :D What do you like to write, poetry, prose?

:arrow: A thing to do to get back in the groove might be find some of the websites, and bloggers, who publish writing prompts, and do a thing we do at our little midwestern county seat farm burg's creative writers group meetings, which are a weekly thing, and see what you can do with one of those prompts in 15 or 20 minutes.
I have a sci-fi book I'm working on and it is a lot of fun to write other genres with those prompts at group.

If you happen to be on Tumblr, which used to be owned by Yahoo and is now I think owned by Verizon, there is a large and active writer community on there.

There is writeblr, https://welcometowriteblr.tumblr.com/po ... -here-what

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2021, 1:27 pm

kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
AprilR wrote:

Hey there! :D What do you like to write, poetry, prose?

:arrow: A thing to do to get back in the groove might be find some of the websites, and bloggers, who publish writing prompts, and do a thing we do at our little midwestern county seat farm burg's creative writers group meetings, which are a weekly thing, and see what you can do with one of those prompts in 15 or 20 minutes.
I have a sci-fi book I'm working on and it is a lot of fun to write other genres with those prompts at group.

If you happen to be on Tumblr, which used to be owned by Yahoo and is now I think owned by Verizon, there is a large and active writer community on there.

There is writeblr, https://welcometowriteblr.tumblr.com/po ... -here-what

Hello! I used to write some fantasy young adult type stories when i was younger but haven't written anything for years.

Thank you for the recs and resources. It is a very good idea to start with prompts.

I do have a tumblr but i haven't used it in a while, maybe i can create a new account for writing.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2021, 1:40 pm

I am - still - trying to build up the courage to try writing a novel.

I have an entire bookshelf with "how-to-write" books from various authors, and stacks of classical Sci-Fi novels for inspiration I have yet to read...

But so far, all I have written is legislation and management memos.... which is good bedtime reading if you suffer from severe insomnia, and sleeping pills aren't doing it for you any more...

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2021, 5:59 pm

GGPViper wrote:
I am - still - trying to build up the courage to try writing a novel.

I have an entire bookshelf with "how-to-write" books from various authors, and stacks of classical Sci-Fi novels for inspiration I have yet to read...

But so far, all I have written is legislation and management memos.... which is good bedtime reading if you suffer from severe insomnia, and sleeping pills aren't doing it for you any more...

You know the Nike (?) ad line: "Just do it."
If you're afraid your attempt at writing will come out looking amateurish or just bad, don't worry, that's what rewriting is for. I've been writing fiction for years, and I still from time to time get the notion in my head that I somehow lost the magic, but then my confidence comes back. So give the writing a try.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2021, 6:15 pm

I have seen a thing in writing which has a similar thing in model railroads - people get disappointed and frustrated, assuming they ever got past the initial intimidation, because they can't make a massive museum quality railway layout from scratch, that looks like those in the big glossy magazine articles, in one afternoon.

EclipticNonsense
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Apr 2021, 6:27 pm

Hi, I'm brand new and I am writing a couple sci-fi trilogies in the same universe that I'm creating. One is far in the past and the other is in the future. The one in the past is a mythology survival political drama and the one in the future is about space pirates and magic.

ronglxy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Apr 2021, 2:30 pm

I'm where I'm always at: Writing or soon to be writing. But its "me" writing, not comodity writing.

My writing began very early by an almost accident when someone told me: "If you can't talk, you'd best write or you'll rot!"

So I wrote (kid level first rough printing). Now we three of us write, to be and see. Nothing else "is" or needs to be.

There's "me" that's done to, for, by or with. There's "I" that does, sees, tries and is. And there's "myself" that elusively sits betwixt and between the other two to gently sternly pull the strings so we all well and rightly do "become".

It's always true by hand in paints, pens or pencil. And always dies a sad death if faked in digi-bits and bytes.

DesertWoman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Apr 2021, 12:37 am

I love writing. I got much better at it in college. I taught it to kids in grades 4-6, and I enjoyed that. I miss my classroom. I've thought about writing a book about my own life, I've tried, actually.

I took journalism classes in college, and I was an editor on my high school newspaper.