former WP member "ASS-P" passed away yesterday, jan. 4, '21

Page 14 of 26 [ 408 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 26  Next

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

02 Mar 2021, 8:38 am

auntblabby wrote:
Kitty4670 wrote:
Walter was in jail. The police should not put poor people & the homeless in jail, they have no money. Poor Walter :cry:

what happens is that less-than-charitable store owners don't like the looks of people like walter on the sidewalk outside their store, so they call the all-purpose bully boys the cops, to roust them from place to place.

Sounds like "fight poverty by making being poor illegal".

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2021, 10:03 am

magz wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Kitty4670 wrote:
Walter was in jail. The police should not put poor people & the homeless in jail, they have no money. Poor Walter :cry:

what happens is that less-than-charitable store owners don't like the looks of people like walter on the sidewalk outside their store, so they call the all-purpose bully boys the cops, to roust them from place to place.

that is exactly right, AFAIC it is only one immoral step away from fighting poverty by opening concentration camps. there are people in seattle who have bloviated on TV editorials, that we should be doing just that.

Barchan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2021, 3:23 am

magz wrote:

Yep, that just about sums up America.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2021, 3:40 am

in seattle there are righties who have seriously proposed sending all the homeless to the former McNeil island pen as inmates in a modern day work house just like something from Dickensian England.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

13 Apr 2021, 4:14 am

I thought Seattle might just be free of such righties. It gives the impression of quite a progressive and forward thinking city.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2021, 4:42 am

magz wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Kitty4670 wrote:

That was a previous primeministers answer to homelessness. I believe it was Gordon Brown (Or Tony Blair) who said he was going to tackle homelessness, so he made it illegal.
And his way of tackling it as he promised that he would deal with it is one in which I caught the brunt of it in a previous job was to arrest the homeless from London, and take them to the furthest police stations in the country from London like Pembroke Dock in West Wales, and let them go. There were no facilities, no food handouts. Nothing. I had many homeless people trying to get back to London or at least Swansea which even Swansea was around 100 miles away by land, as Swansea was the nearest place they could get free meals via a soup run and any form of help and support, but most were trying to get back to London to get the help they needed from homeless shelters etc, as all the charities help was in the big cities.

The prime ministers response probably caused a few deaths and many desperate people. It was a total shame we had a prime minister who thought his solution would work. It did not tackle the problem at all. It just shifted a problem for others elsewhere to sort out.
I did ask them why they wanted to go back to London as we have lovely countryside in Wales, and they told me that there was no local council support. No shelters. No food. No help with clothing and even no toilet facilities. They could only get help in cities like London where they also have places to wash and keep clean etc.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2021, 4:46 am

envirozentinel wrote:
I thought Seattle might just be free of such righties. It gives the impression of quite a progressive and forward thinking city.

seattle proper, yes- but the 'burbs and county land, not so much. king county is actually more reactionary-conservative, seattle is a bright blue splotch in the middle of a somewhat redder county. most cities here are more liberal than their surrounding county land.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2021, 4:48 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
That was a previous primeministers answer to homelessness. I believe it was Gordon Brown (Or Tony Blair) who said he was going to tackle homelessness, so he made it illegal. And his way of tackling it as he promised that he would deal with it is one in which I caught the brunt of it in a previous job was to arrest the homeless from London, and take them to the furthest police stations in the country from London like Pembroke Dock in West Wales, and let them go. There were no facilities, no food handouts. Nothing. I had many homeless people trying to get back to London or at least Swansea which even Swansea was around 100 miles away by land, as Swansea was the nearest place they could get free meals via a soup run and any form of help and support, but most were trying to get back to London to get the help they needed from homeless shelters etc, as all the charities help was in the big cities. The prime ministers response probably caused a few deaths and many desperate people. It was a total shame we had a prime minister who thought his solution would work. It did not tackle the problem at all. It just shifted a problem for others elsewhere to sort out. I did ask them why they wanted to go back to London as we have lovely countryside in Wales, and they told me that there was no local council support. No shelters. No food. No help with clothing and even no toilet facilities. They could only get help in cities like London where they also have places to wash and keep clean etc.

they do stupid sheet like that here, places like ft. lauderdale which have made it illegal to give food or aid homeless people in any way, have been known to roust them off the streets, pack them on busses and ship them to other cities thus transferring their "problem" to somebody else, many cities here have tried that frankly juvenile trick.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

13 Apr 2021, 6:30 am

A form of passing the buck under the guise of "sending them to greener pastures". Politicians and their associated bureaucracy are too.lazy to do the right thing. They don't want tourists and visitors to see any homeless people whom they feel should be neither seen nor heard. Interesting that even in the UK those PMs couldn't be bothered to do some consultation first. With those most affected.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2021, 8:10 am

envirozentinel wrote:
.... They don't want tourists and visitors to see any homeless people whom they feel should be neither seen nor heard...
That seems especially true here in Anaheim, home of Disneyland.  Homeless people are rounded up from an area within a mile of Katella and Harbor (cross-streets next to D-Land), driven out to the city limits, and then dropped off.

Of course, they are dropped off only on the north, west, and south sides, because the hoitiest of the toity all live on the east side in Anaheim Hills, and DisneyCo has the Anaslime City Council in its hip pocket.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2021, 6:53 am

auntblabby wrote:
A EULOGY-
i got a phone call from the santa cruz county sheriff's office, telling me that Walter Loyd Lilly, aka "ASS-P" on WP, was found dead, presumably in the shelter where he was staying. they were tight-lipped about all but the fact that he was deceased, they wanted to know if i knew his next of kin since i was one of his contact persons. he lived a hard life, a life which would have long-ago finished me off. he was homeless since the late 90s. that is a long time on the streets, a long hard grind. he was tough and resilient but could not beat father time and the vastly increased wear and tear inflicted by lacking a home. he was coughing terribly the last few weeks, his kidneys were shot, he had congestive heart failure, uncontrolled diabetes and hypertension and arthritis and circulation problems. i knew the end was near but didn't know just how near. he was a hard person to help. he had a tough exterior shielding a vulnerable heart. people did not love him or give him any respect. his life was one of constant irritation and frustration. he wanted SO MUCH to "have the college experience" and get a degree in something. i think it was part of his lifelong search for respect from a society which had other things on its mind. i don't know how many who may be reading this, remember him from his time here. i am one of the early ones who greeted him when he joined up, but trying to help him was more than i could do for long, he had deep chronic needs. he loved his comic books, and he wanted so much to do what he saw everybody else took for granted, things like listening to music on phonograph records/LPs, living in a place of his own with a desk at which he could sit and read in peace, having privacy to do that and do the other things that he never got to do unmolested by the other street people he had to deal with. i hope finally, his earthly worries are erased and he is in a peaceful place now. RIP, brother. :|

Well, I'm coming very late to the wake here. I remember ASS-P. His wisdom helped me with my research, years ago. I remember him as a stubborn, but kind hearted and hopeful man. Knowlegable, pleasant to hear from. I recall feeling delighted to find responses from him.

I do not say that lightly. Perhaps it is easier to be friends when practical differences are never in play. I am sad today to learn of his passing. I hope he is in a better place somewhere.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2021, 6:56 am

^^^his stubbornness was the thing that gave him the strength to keep going.

longshot
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2021, 7:15 pm

Though, I came across him infrequently here on WP, I'd still like to say, that he has my sincere condolences and honorable compassion for his family as a whole. :(

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2021, 7:46 pm

he was the last of the lilly line, no more after him.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2021, 5:23 am

I was wondering what happened to ASS-P. I remember reading about his heartbreaking struggles, and it honestly surprises me that he managed to live as long as he did with all his various medical issues, as a penniless homeless man in America. It's shameful how poorly the world's wealthiest country treats its most vulnerable people. At least he no longer has to suffer.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2021, 5:25 am

^^^thank you Mr.B for caring :flower: i could not have dealt with what he had to deal with day in and out. just couldn't.