former WP member "ASS-P" passed away yesterday, jan. 4, '21

Page 26 of 26 [ 408 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2022, 3:31 am

despite that fact, we should as a society still TRY, and KEEP TRYING. the shoe ALWAYS* could be on the other foot.

*unless one is a 1%er/trust fund baby, that is.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2022, 10:58 am

We can do better.
Sometimes I get overwhelmed thinking about this kind of thing. I am a 54 year old out of work computer programmer with poor people skills. What CAN I do to make things better? I could "think globally and act locally" I suppose.
Some days I have trouble just getting through the day.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2022, 3:16 am

above all, don't contribute to the problem by voting for people who would with malice aforethought make the problems worse by cutting social programs and jailing people who try to help.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2022, 4:36 am

Fenn, I have struggled with this much of my life. I’ve come to the conclusion that I am not one of those called to change the world, but just to respond positively to what happens or shows up I’m my life. This can be as simple as a smile, a dollar put in a busker’s cup - or to the beggar on the street. It can be an email or a post to someone - that connection might cheer them up.

The other thing I do, or don’t do, is overthinking the gift. I don’t wonder if someone deserves it, or if they will “just use the money for drugs” or whatever. Just random acts of kindness. Unconditional.

And what Auntblabby says - Vote. Vote for whomever has compassion and a willingness to serve all of us and support dignity for all people including food, housing, healthcare.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2022, 9:56 am

When I was younger I would sometimes take one or two homeless people to the silver truck and let them pick. I had a good job and more money than I needed, I was single and had limited responsibilities. I still could have done more.
Now I have a wife and three kids, college to pay for. I am not so foot loose and fancy free.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2022, 2:59 am

Fenn wrote:
When I was younger I would sometimes take one or two homeless people to the silver truck and let them pick. I had a good job and more money than I needed, I was single and had limited responsibilities. I still could have done more.
Now I have a wife and three kids, college to pay for. I am not so foot loose and fancy free.

you are doing VERY well, in fact IMHO you are an exemplar. :wtg: :star:

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2023, 10:35 pm

I'm just seeing this, very sorry to learn of the passing of ASS-P. He was difficult, but he could also be funny without necessarily meaning to be. I remember the desire to go to college, his constant battle to keep his phone from the hands of other people at the shelter. His socks and undies were also under constant threat. He had a storage locker with his books in it, I think. And sometimes he would get to have a few of them with him.

I'm sorry he's gone, I pray he's walking the streets of gold. No wheelchair needed...

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2023, 11:40 pm

thank you for tuning in, so to speak. thanks to WP for enabling a sort of homage to him and what he had to deal with.