former WP member "ASS-P" passed away yesterday, jan. 4, '21

Page 19 of 26 [ 408 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 26  Next

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2021, 7:22 pm

auntblabby wrote:
too many amuuuricans are so arrogant that even though they were born on third base they think they hit a triple.

I am wondering if he was a misdiagnosed scitzophrenic.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2021, 7:27 pm

Axeman wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
too many amuuuricans are so arrogant that even though they were born on third base they think they hit a triple.

I am wondering if he was a misdiagnosed schizophrenic.

i'd guess so, he managed sans meds for many years. i'd say he was at least schizoid, just like myself but further gone.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2021, 11:15 am

At one point I was talking to a SW trying to help him, with his permission of course. I am pretty sure he did have a psychiatric diagnosis and i know he was prescribed anti-psychotic meds. He also had serious medical conditions.

It is not unusual for people with schizophrenia to function without meds. Just not very well.

It was during one of the great reforms in social services to stop providing inpatient care and everyone was turned out onto the streets. The public rational was that it was inhumane to keep them in an institution.

And now we just accept that state of affairs. :(

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2021, 12:26 pm

blazingstar wrote:
At one point I was talking to a SW trying to help him, with his permission of course. I am pretty sure he did have a psychiatric diagnosis and i know he was prescribed anti-psychotic meds. He also had serious medical conditions.

It is not unusual for people with schizophrenia to function without meds. Just not very well.

It was during one of the great reforms in social services to stop providing inpatient care and everyone was turned out onto the streets. The public rational was that it was inhumane to keep them in an institution.

My reading of his posts is that he was in an institution at one point and that he would rather be homeless than go back.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2021, 8:00 pm

Many would choose the streets over an institution. Having made that choice, one needs to live with the consequences. The problem is that by providing only emergency, last ditch care, the problem spirals out of control.

Many others would be grateful for access to treatment and stability, so maybe they could make it on their own.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2021, 8:44 pm

problem homeless find in many shelters is violence and theft. no wonder so many find being out on the street to be safer at least.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2021, 8:40 pm

The homeless shelters don’t have enough funding.

The other problems a person might have with a shelter or institution are rules against when you can come and go, no alcohol, no drugs. In a homeless shelter, your personal possessions are limited to what you can carry.

There is a bill of rights for people with developmental disabilities. There are hundreds of millions of dollars spent in Florida alone on their needs for independent living.

There is no such level of funding for people with mental illness. We have to treat people with mental illness with respect. Current programs do not allow for that.

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2021, 9:46 pm

blazingstar wrote:
The homeless shelters don’t have enough funding.

The other problems a person might have with a shelter or institution are rules against when you can come and go, no alcohol, no drugs. In a homeless shelter, your personal possessions are limited to what you can carry.

There is a bill of rights for people with developmental disabilities. There are hundreds of millions of dollars spent in Florida alone on their needs for independent living.

There is no such level of funding for people with mental illness. We have to treat people with mental illness with respect. Current programs do not allow for that.

A diagnosis of Asperger's isn't covered under developmental disabilities?

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2021, 5:06 pm

Autism spectrum disorders generally do qualify, but, are difficult to document as "developmental" disorders in people our age - talking about him and me. We are too old to have been diagnosed as children, or even if we had been diagnosed, we would no longer have any records of that.

"Developmental" means was diagnosed before the age of 18 (can vary slightly between states.) It is unlikely he had documentation of a childhood diagnosis. In fact, I believe I chased this down with him, but parents and immediately family are deceased and he has no records. So even if he had a diagnosis of some kind of autism before age 18, he would not qualify for that kind of assistance.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2021, 1:58 am

he was born in the wrong country, unfortunately.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2021, 10:55 am

What country did you have in mind?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2021, 12:20 am

a country that deals better with outliers. a country with a fairer tax system that supports a more generous and more uniform set of social services that don't let the vulnerable population fall through the cracks so readily as our non-system where some states or cities just do the malign neglect thing while others struggle with chronic underfunding and valiantly do their loving best. a country with less dog-eat-dog and more of a golden rule ethic that doesn't make me cry. countries such as those of northern europe which have a birthright of having humane shelter enshrined in their constitutions. we as a nation can do so much better if only there was the same political will as there is to build stooopid fancy-schmancy sports stadiums for billionaire moochers or for giving obscene billion-dollar tax breaks to irresponsible big businesses that hire as few people as they can get away with, paying them as little as they can get away with. end of rant. ;)

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2021, 7:32 pm

blazingstar wrote:

Well this is a board for autism. Not a place to beg for stuff. And that's what many of his posts boiled down to. Demanding that people here give him a radio, clothes (he even specified his shoe size), a place to store things he didn't need, etc. The most bizzare imo was him trying to get people here to track down his high school records.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2021, 7:53 pm

the man did not know any better. this is a support forum and it behooves all of us to cut others the slack they need, to a point.

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2021, 12:29 pm

auntblabby wrote:
the man did not know any better. this is a support forum and it behooves all of us to cut others the slack they need, to a point.

You clearly have the soul of a saint.

My issue is autistic people are often lacking in "street intelligence" and could suffer losses trying to help someone like him when the help would just be a waste.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2021, 2:54 pm

Axeman wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

You clearly have the soul of a saint. My issue is autistic people are often lacking in "street intelligence" and could suffer losses trying to help someone like him when the help would just be a waste.

i'm pretty much a sinner but thank you my fellow wrong planeteer :) i did not mean to seem censorious there, i understand because i am one of those "deer in the headlights" people meself. :flower: i sent him money and lord knows what became of it. but the point is that if you TRY to help another human in need you also help yourself in the long run, it is metaphysical. i have been homeless and it is just about as desolate an existence as can be imagined. "there are none so tender as those who have been skinned themselves." [rev. c.h. spurgeon]