former WP member "ASS-P" passed away yesterday, jan. 4, '21

Page 24 of 26 [ 408 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2022, 8:11 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I kept thinking his name was Walter Mitty :P I guess I should have double-checked with someone lol.

i think he may have been tickled by that. :)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2022, 8:13 pm

Walter Mitty was a regular, sort of nerdy guy who imagined himself being a hero.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2022, 8:41 pm

Thank you Isabella for reposting his eulogy . :D

where ever you go ,there you are

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2022, 9:43 pm

AuntBlabby,
(and all)
This thread was the first one on Wrongplanet that made me see WP as a true support community.
Never met Walter (or what ever moniker he preferred) but I hope someday when I pass others think of me as kindly as I have seen him be treated on this thread.

Blabs - I remember your post on "The Best [Twilight Zone] Episode Ever" and guessed you'd spent some times on the streets.

Thanks for reaching out to Walter - and to the rest of the WP folks to let them know about his passing. ...For turning your lemons into lemonade - your pain into kindness and empathy.

Thanks to all the other well wishers and kind folk who have posted on the thread.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2022, 9:47 pm

^^^you're welcome Fenn :flower:

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2022, 11:43 pm

blazingstar wrote:
At one point I was talking to a SW trying to help him, with his permission of course. I am pretty sure he did have a psychiatric diagnosis and i know he was prescribed anti-psychotic meds. He also had serious medical conditions.

It is not unusual for people with schizophrenia to function without meds. Just not very well.

It was during one of the great reforms in social services to stop providing inpatient care and everyone was turned out onto the streets. The public rational was that it was inhumane to keep them in an institution.

And now we just accept that state of affairs. :(

Recently i was looking into that, and some say the deal was they were supposed to have community outpatient programs instead of bedlam, but instead they just closed bedlam and had a drug war.

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2022, 11:53 pm

btw im out for f*****g blood for the mobbing of ass-p, that was f****d up. Total Munchausen syndrome by proxy

and im f****d up on some FDS, is this parody of ass-ps Munchausen syndrome by proxy mobbing, or does this come naturally to you fnord?

Fnord wrote:
@Those whose hearts "bleed" for the homeless:

If you are so concerned about those poor homeless people who choose to live on the street, sleep in dumpsters, steal from honest merchants, and sell their stolen goods to buy drugs, then here is something you can do about it.

Invite them to live with you in your own homes instead of on the streets.

Then, and only then will you come to experience first-hand the mindset of the "Willfully Homeless".  Then you will know just how determined they are to live without being held accountable for their own actions, and how much they hate being told what they can and cannot do.  Sure, they will kowtow and say, "Yes-yes" when you lay down the rules by which you and your families have lived.  Certainly, they will smile and agree when you tell them "no drugs, no alcohol, no weapons, and no visitors without my permission".  And you can be certain that they will be perfect angels for the first few days of their rehabilitation.

But then you will notice things are missing.  Small, incidental things like toilet paper, soap, and canned foods.  Then one day you will come home and your furniture, your tech gear, and all of your valuables are gone.

And so is your "tenant".

Go ahead; try it.  If you have the courage of your convictions, then it should be no problem for you at all.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2022, 12:15 am

i didn't fully "get" [the full terror of] falling into homelessness until it happened to me. there was this one guy i knew as a kid, he was my age, he had some obvious physical and mental defects, he had a face that scared people, but he was harmless and somewhat schizoid, but he ended up on the streets early, and one freezing cold day he'd had enough of that hell of life and went to a gas pump and somehow got it to pump gas on him and he immolated himself. at that point he may have been sufficiently out of it that a hot death was better than freezing to death. when things are bad for me i remember it can always be much MUCH worse. i still feel lousy that i lacked the awareness to somehow try to find him, reach out to him and help him somehow. but my parents woulda told me to get rid of any such silly notions, "the poor ye shall always have with you" and other such.

that poor thing...

there are outcasts, the friendless, they are all around us but they somehow are invisible to the rest. i guess the naïve part of me [the major part] just wants it to be that people pay attention to them and give them a bit of cash now and then [or even a civil acknowledgement that they are there], even if they lack the wherewithal to be able to parlay that pittance into something constructive to get them out of that situation [if only to suit our middle-class ableist prejudices], at least it will buy them a bit of cheer for a bit. that is a feeble help but better than nothing at all. there's no such thing as "benign" neglect AFAIC.

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2022, 12:55 am

that is touching sir, made my day agian it is like you good cop me bad cop. Its ok, I can be a real dick, eat your cookies. your pizza.. :mrgreen:

that poor quote, I always thought it was something Jesus actually said but is open to misunderstanding. Similar hard passages can be made sense of, but this one always stumped me.

When I really got into learning about the different accounts of the woman or women annotating him, it started to make sense, to me anyway. I need to get that thread going again.

Happy Valentines Day :heart:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2022, 12:59 am

a big :heart: to you also! :pr: :pl:

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2022, 8:05 am

If the general problem of “the poor” was easily solvable it would have been solved. Like it or not Jesus said we would always have “the poor” with us. More than 2000 years later - He’s not wrong.
Context: if I want to really understand what the quote really means I read the whole paragraph - then read the whole chapter - then the whole book. That is what I try to do.

I have never been on the streets. I have worked in soup kitchens. My uncle was on the streets at times. My dad spent so much time hunting him down and trying to help he lost a good job - a berry good job and perhaps a whole career. One time he was living with us and some things did go missing - and strange friends came and eventually he was asked to move out. Addiction can do strange things to people. Mental illness is real. It is complicated.

Am I really so different?

But we could each do a bit more - we each have to find our boundaries. I could do more than I do. Sometimes I destabilize trying to do more and I pull back - am I doing enough?

My dad lost a job but may truly saved his brother’s life. He eventually stabilized enough to cater my sister’s wedding. He died of throat cancer - probably smoking was the cause or a big contributor. He didn’t completely avoid the damage of addictive behaviour.

If I read enough I find that not everyone is given the same gifts and that is OK. I find “whatsoever you do to the least of my brothers that you do unto me” - wow.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2022, 7:53 pm

the "do to me" passage in the good book is another way of referencing the golden rule. rather like the torah, the whole of the bible references the golden rule with the bulk of it being some kind of commentary.

Radish
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2022, 12:17 pm

Sad to hear of his passing. He used to post from a public library if I remember correctly. Always seemed to be having a tough time one way or another. Didn't he suffer from diabetes and had lost fingers or toes? Long while ago now, can't remember. :(

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2022, 1:08 pm

He had diabetes. He had partial amputations of toes; I don't know about fingers. He had other health problems, too---like congestive heart failure. The shelters tended to be unsympathetic to his coughing which happens to be an integral part of congestive heart failure.

He was sometimes "street homeless," and sometimes "sheltered homeless." He tended to either lose things or have them stolen from him. He was the type that wanted to do things on his own terms.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2022, 12:40 am

he was also mugged from time to time, an occupational hazard of street life.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2022, 9:11 am

Yep. That's right. He was mugged, too.

I hope he's having a peaceful time Up There, reading his favorite comics.