Page 5 of 5 [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2021, 9:06 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
Of course. We have had years of practice to reach this standard!

It's ridiculous. There are two pandemics, one is covid, the other is stupidity :roll:

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2021, 9:11 am

Gaffer Gragz wrote:
I did some work at a telco company on the chalk north of Southampton.
Relay nice people there, and the landladies I B&B at was awesome people.
Another memory is all the flint gravel, and the flint nodules used as decoction, In Winchester old town and abby it was everywhere.
As you said I'm from Norway and I haven't seen flint here ever (The stone age should be called The flint age '')

How many years ago was it that you worked in Southampton? IMO Brits have gone downhill since 2016, the EU referendum made everyone polarise into two opposing camps and it's been horrible since then. And it's possible they were nice to you because you're not British, we're generally polite to non Brits. At least we used to be.

How funny about the flints. They are everywhere here. But then again, you can't dig up anything in Britain without finding something historical, usually Roman but also Anglo Saxon, Viking, Celtic, Norman...Roman stuff is seen as boring because there is so much of it, anything else is exciting. Everyone has invaded Britain it seems!

Gaffer Gragz
Toucan
Toucan

10 Feb 2021, 11:53 am

KitLily wrote:
Gaffer Gragz wrote:
I did some work at a telco company on the chalk north of Southampton.
Relay nice people there, and the landladies I B&B at was awesome people.
Another memory is all the flint gravel, and the flint nodules used as decoction, In Winchester old town and abby it was everywhere.
As you said I'm from Norway and I haven't seen flint here ever (The stone age should be called The flint age '')

How many years ago was it that you worked in Southampton? IMO Brits have gone downhill since 2016, the EU referendum made everyone polarise into two opposing camps and it's been horrible since then. And it's possible they were nice to you because you're not British, we're generally polite to non Brits. At least we used to be.

How funny about the flints. They are everywhere here. But then again, you can't dig up anything in Britain without finding something historical, usually Roman but also Anglo Saxon, Viking, Celtic, Norman...Roman stuff is seen as boring because there is so much of it, anything else is exciting. Everyone has invaded Britain it seems!

ohh ummm 14-ish, it was during football world championship, wild with all the flags and vimples and stuff everywhere.
Yes I understands it is not nice this tear it must have caused.
But as long as governing becomes a power battle and ideals become again an obsession, and here we go.?

Well, yes, but its the case with the whole of Europe but more chaotic, the Isles is after all a sort of endpoint.
One of the worst areas are the area between Italy and the Black sea, war on and off for 3000 years or something like that!?

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2021, 6:33 am

Gaffer Gragz.

Oh, 14 years ago sounds like heaven! When the Brits were nice to each other and not divided into two camps which hate each other...

Yes, Britain has been fighting someone or other for many centuries. Especially France. We've been fighting them on and off since 1066 when they invaded us. We had A Hundred Years War with them in the middle ages :roll:

Gaffer Gragz
Toucan
Toucan

11 Feb 2021, 7:20 am

KitLily wrote:
Gaffer Gragz.

Oh, 14 years ago sounds like heaven! When the Brits were nice to each other and not divided into two camps which hate each other...

Yes, Britain has been fighting someone or other for many centuries. Especially France. We've been fighting them on and off since 1066 when they invaded us. We had A Hundred Years War with them in the middle ages :roll:

1066 .... was that about 'cutting the elm'? Hmmmmm, I think I need to have a read, bits has gotten messed up again.
Lol I have the red body hair trait, so I think one of my forbearers was a 'frille' from up north (scott or irish). Norwegians was not so much in the south

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2021, 11:47 am

Gaffer Gragz wrote:
1066 .... was that about 'cutting the elm'? Hmmmmm, I think I need to have a read, bits has gotten messed up again.
Lol I have the red body hair trait, so I think one of my forbearers was a 'frille' from up north (scott or irish). Norwegians was not so much in the south

I don't know about the elm but 1066 was when William the Conqueror decided that he should be the king of England, came over here with his army and took over the country. I think (as usual) the invaders killed all the aristocracy and replaced them. Our monarchs for the next 300+ years weren't born in England nor did they speak English. The English language contains a lot of French words, but pronounced the English way. Probably why the English were then at war with the French all the time :lol:

Yes apparently Britain has the most red haired people in the world. My dad had red hair, my hair is very dark brown but has a red tone and so does my daughter's. We all have pale skin and freckles. I think it was Danes in the south and Norwegians in the north. Around the 9th century, we had the Danelaw which divided England into East and West, with English in the West and Danes in the East. So they must have been around here somewhere, mainly in East Anglia I think. East Anglia is the bump sticking out above London.

Gaffer Gragz
Toucan
Toucan

12 Feb 2021, 12:25 pm

KitLily wrote:
Gaffer Gragz wrote:

I don't know about the elm but 1066 was when William the Conqueror decided that he should be the king of England, came over here with his army and took over the country. I think (as usual) the invaders killed all the aristocracy and replaced them. Our monarchs for the next 300+ years weren't born in England nor did they speak English. The English language contains a lot of French words, but pronounced the English way. Probably why the English were then at war with the French all the time :lol:

Yes apparently Britain has the most red haired people in the world. My dad had red hair, my hair is very dark brown but has a red tone and so does my daughter's. We all have pale skin and freckles. I think it was Danes in the south and Norwegians in the north. Around the 9th century, we had the Danelaw which divided England into East and West, with English in the West and Danes in the East. So they must have been around here somewhere, mainly in East Anglia I think. East Anglia is the bump sticking out above London.

And Jordvik, todays York area.

Spunge42
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Feb 2021, 1:37 am

KitLily wrote:
It's ridiculous. There are two pandemics, one is covid, the other is stupidity :roll:

:lol: this comment made my day. I totally agree. I feel like I have more intelligent conversations with my dogs than people outside my house lately.

Every day I feel increasingly more like I've stepped into the book Catch-22, one absurdity after the next. And everytime someone wants to talk about certain topics I feel the rising need to jump out the window.

Also, shalom it's nice to meet you.

"I sat with my anger long enough, until she told me her real name was grief."

Gaffer Gragz
Toucan
Toucan

13 Feb 2021, 4:01 am

Gaffer Gragz wrote:
KitLily wrote:
Gaffer Gragz.

Nop:
1188. It happened after a meeting between King Henry II of England and King Philip II of France. At Gisors, Normandy

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2021, 10:37 am

Gaffer Gragz wrote:
And Jordvik, todays York area.

Yes, York must have been in the Danelaw as it is in the East. I went to Jorvik years and years ago, I think I was a teenager, I wish I'd taken more notice of the information :roll:

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2021, 10:41 am

Spunge42 wrote:
KitLily wrote:

:lol: this comment made my day. I totally agree. I feel like I have more intelligent conversations with my dogs than people outside my house lately.

Every day I feel increasingly more like I've stepped into the book Catch-22, one absurdity after the next. And everytime someone wants to talk about certain topics I feel the rising need to jump out the window.

Also, shalom it's nice to meet you.

Hello *waves*

Actually it was an Australian who said this to me about the two pandemics. All Australians and New Zealanders I've met online recently are looking in horror at what's happening in Britain these days, especially Covid. Their lives are more or less back to pre Covid normal and look at ours. I see you're American though, I wonder what they think of America.

I seriously believe a combination of fast food, not enough exercise, pollution, media influence is frying people's brains.

Last edited by KitLily on 13 Feb 2021, 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2021, 10:41 am

Gaffer Gragz wrote:
Nop:
1188. It happened after a meeting between King Henry II of England and King Philip II of France. At Gisors, Normandy

What's this about an elm?

Gaffer Gragz
Toucan
Toucan

13 Feb 2021, 12:44 pm

KitLily wrote:
Gaffer Gragz wrote:
Nop:

What's this about an elm?

ohh, ummm, it marked the space where Franks ans Britts met to parlour, sort of embassy meeting spot.
It got cut down as a sort of 'enough is enough'. Both sides blame the other, as per usual .....

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2021, 1:11 pm

Gaffer Gragz wrote:
ohh, ummm, it marked the space where Franks ans Britts met to parlour, sort of embassy meeting spot.
It got cut down as a sort of 'enough is enough'. Both sides blame the other, as per usual .....

Oh, number 18586387425 in the arguments between the English and French. :lol: