Page 1 of 11 [ 169 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2021, 3:11 am

As you probably heard, a lot of Trump allies disassociated themselves from him and called for his removal from office due to the riots he encouraged.

But now think back to antifa riots this Sumner and how the Democrats weren't willing to condemn them. Sure, Republicans and perhaps independents condemned them. But I am not talking about that. I am asking how many people are willing to condemn their own party. Because we saw a lot of *Republicans* condemning Capitol Hill event. So the natural question is how many *Democrats* were condemning what antifa did this summer.

This seems to suggest that Republicans are more willing to condemn their own, at least when it comes to violence. Maybe not other things though. I mean Republicans did make lots of excuses for Trump in other areas. But at least in case of violence they do appear to be more self critical than Democrats.

Also note that antifa riots lasted the whole summer while Capitol Hill riot lasted only few hours. Also antifa riots resulted in permanent damage to property while in case of Capitol Hill they just met few hours later. Yes the capitol Hill killed four people. I don't know if antifa killed anyone but I would guess they probably did and probably a lot more than four, although I agree it is just a guess.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2021, 3:16 am

I'll let her sum this all up:

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Tross
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2021, 3:52 am

People with brains don't condone either. The pot can call the kettle black, but if it's a domestic terrorist, no amount of spinning is going to change that. I don't care who technically did worse.

Although, let's not forget that some of the protesting in the summer actually had merit to it. Some people turned what should have been a peaceful movement into something it was never meant to be, but the ultimate goal of that protesting was to enact real change that needs to happen, as opposed to trying to halt democracy like the people gathered yesterday were trying to do.

One movement was ruined by a few bad seeds. One was...seriously, what was the goal? Fascism? I don't care much for leadership that's less intelligent than me at the best of times. If I were American, I certainly wouldn't want a buffoon to be my overlord.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2021, 5:17 am

QFT wrote:
As you probably heard, a lot of Trump allies disassociated themselves from him and called for his removal from office due to the riots he encouraged.

Trump shot himself in the foot, with that one.

QFT wrote:
But now think back to antifa riots this Sumner and how the Democrats weren't willing to condemn them. Sure, Republicans and perhaps independents condemned them. But I am not talking about that. I am asking how many people are willing to condemn their own party. Because we saw a lot of *Republicans* condemning Capitol Hill event. So the natural question is how many *Democrats* were condemning what antifa did this summer.

Not only that, the hypocrisy of the Democrat senators, when talking about the capitol his riots, was staggering. 8O

QFT wrote:
This seems to suggest that Republicans are more willing to condemn their own, at least when it comes to violence. Maybe not other things though. I mean Republicans did make lots of excuses for Trump in other areas. But at least in case of violence they do appear to be more self critical than Democrats.

Presumably, that is why Trump back-tracked at a million miles a second.
What a doofus. :mrgreen:

QFT wrote:
Also note that antifa riots lasted the whole summer while Capitol Hill riot lasted only few hours. Also antifa riots resulted in permanent damage to property

And destroyed small businesses and future dreams.

QFT wrote:
while in case of Capitol Hill they just met few hours later. Yes the capitol Hill killed four people. I don't know if antifa killed anyone but I would guess they probably did and probably a lot more than four, although I agree it is just a guess.

Confirmation bias seems to be playing a part. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2021, 5:27 am

Tross wrote:
People with brains don't condone either. The pot can call the kettle black, but if it's a domestic terrorist, no amount of spinning is going to change that. I don't care who technically did worse.

It will be interesting to see what they are eventually charged with.

Tross wrote:
If I were American, I certainly wouldn't want a buffoon to be my overlord.

Only in America. 8)

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2021, 5:30 am

Yes, OP, there is indeed a level of hypocrisy here. I commented on it BEFORE the Capitol riots even happened (in a thread regarding protests in Oregon) and saw how most people on this site just don't get it. I don't like any sort of violent riots regardless of the politics behind them.

With Capitol Hill, at least nothing was looted, set ablaze, or plundered. Not that it makes it any better, but this is hardly the worst protest-turned-riot we've seen over the past year in the USA.

I think the storming of the Capitol wasn't as much about Trump as it was:

A) Anger and fatigue from on-going lock-down
B) An "unnatural election." Instead of going to the polls and voting (or not), the 2020 election was compulsory unsolicited mail-in ballots.

Just as those on the Antifa/BLM side have their grievances, we should be asking why the other side also has their own grievances, instead of labeling them all 'nutjob terrorists.'

Didn't Biden say he wanted to be the president of a UNITED America, not just blue state/red state ??

EDIT: So, yes, in theory, the "Republican side" was willing to condemn the actions of seemingly pro-Republican rioters, whereas Democrats seemingly haven't done the same with "their" rioters.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2021, 5:32 am

Pepe wrote:

Sedition would be a good start. 20 years, I think, in a federal prison.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2021, 5:45 am

kokopelli wrote:
Pepe wrote:

Sedition would be a good start. 20 years, I think, in a federal prison.

Time will tell. ;)

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2021, 7:43 am

The thing that saddens me is that China will use this in their BS argument that democracy doesn't work.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2021, 8:06 am

They are nutjob terrorists for storming the Capitol while Congress was formally confirming Biden’s election.

If it were liberal progressives doing this, they’d be nutjob terrorists, too.

It’s all in the OCCASION and VENUE.

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2021, 9:46 am

BLM protests and this Putsch mob are not comparable.

Let's say they were equally violent and dangerous to democracy--which they weren't, but:
The former were protests against government violence carried out for centuries against non-whites.
The latter was a mob acting out of a rabid victim complex based in lies, conspiracy theories, racism, and decades of Republicans enabling right-wing radicalism. These baseless grievances were used to justify an attempt to overthrow a democratically elected government for the sake of their Glorious Leader.

Many Democrats did condemn BLM protests when they descended into riots--largely as a result of outsiders, agents provocateur, and police brutality.
They condemned the means as unjustified because they undermine the perceived legitimacy of BLM's justified grievances.

Neither the means nor the ends of Trump's mob were in any way justified. They are the product of decades of treating white nationalism and the militia movement as quaint non-issues. They are the product of one party and one businessman-turned-politician stoking disinformation, division, conspiracy theories, hatred, mass paranoia, and the white conservative victim complex.

Δυνατὰ δὲ οἱ προύχοντες πράσσουσι καὶ οἱ ἀσθενεῖς ξυγχωροῦσιν.
Those with power do what their power permits, and the weak can only acquiesce.

- Thucydides

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2021, 12:50 pm

Left wing, they get violent and fight back, this gets used against them.

Trump lovers get violent and attack, no one bats an eye about it. Talk about Trump loving privilege. :roll: Their motivation is behind a conspiracy theory thought. The left was all about human rights and to end police brutality and systemic racism has been a thing for a long long time.

There is a big f*****g difference and those who don't see it are either an idiot or just being deliberately obtuse. :x

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2021, 12:54 pm

Quote:
Many Democrats did condemn BLM protests when they descended into riots--largely as a result of outsiders, agents provocateur, and police brutality.
They condemned the means as unjustified because they undermine the perceived legitimacy of BLM's justified grievances.

Yes, plus many of those riots were not done by the protesters but done by those who were white supremist and those from outside the area. Many of us were not pleased with the damage they caused. Plus many of the peaceful protesters that did get violent were being attacked by the police so they fought back. We had police shooting tear gas and other things at protesters when they were just standing there and not even being violent.

Anyone notice how there has not been any damage to other buildings during this Trump Loving riot?

Gee I wonder why? :roll:

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2021, 12:57 pm

Wednesday's violent insurrection at the Capitol building in Washington, DC -- as horrifyingly unprecedented as it was -- also had a quality that we've experienced repeatedly over the past four years: It was both shocking and surreal, and yet eerily familiar and entirely predictable.  The scenes playing out at the Capitol echoed those that took place in Charlottesville in August of 2017 followed a known pattern of right-wing political unrest that has been nurtured by the President and his party.

The parallels between the assaults on Charlottesville and the Capitol were striking:

• The hesitance of law enforcement to engage White, right-wing protesters (and their delay in doing so).

• The turn in right-wing media to the bogeyman of antifa as the source of disorder.

• The President's efforts to excuse or embrace the violence of his supporters -- even as he urged them to go home, he said "We love you".

But more than that, they were both marked by a pernicious both-sides-ism that has, over the past four years, corrupted every discussion of the violence and chaos that Donald Trump provokes, one encapsulated in the "very fine people on both sides" line but with a much longer history in America...

Source:
 This CNN Article 

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2021, 12:59 pm

Quick, look over there!

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2021, 1:02 pm

Biden has condemned left wing violence a number of times.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman