Why didn't Kamala Harris run for President herself?

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2021, 3:09 pm

A lot of people who voted for Biden, say they don't really like Biden all that much, they just did it so Harris would get in because they like her. But if that's the case, and most voters wanted Harris, why didn't Harris just run for President herself, if that was who the majority public of voters wanted?

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2021, 3:11 pm

She did run for president. Tulsa Gabbard destroyed her in a debate by exposing her horrible record as attorney general in California.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2021, 3:13 pm

She dropped out in December of 2019, before any of the caucuses and primaries so that may be why you didn't hear about her in Canada.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2021, 3:42 pm

But why did she drop out? Since so many people love her do they care about her record in California therefore? Wouldn't they just vote for her anyway?

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2021, 3:43 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
She did run for president. Tulsa Gabbard destroyed her in a debate by exposing her horrible record as attorney general in California.

Tulsi Gabbard's remarks about Kamela Harris's record as attorney general in California may not be entirely accurate. See Were Tulsi Gabbard’s attacks on Kamala Harris’ record as a California prosecutor on target? by Chris Nichols, Politifact, August 1, 2019.

Udinaas
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2021, 3:57 pm

ironpony wrote:
But why did she drop out? Since so many people love her do they care about her record in California therefore? Wouldn't they just vote for her anyway?

She wasn't very many people's first choice. Look at the polling:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nationwide_opinion_polling_for_the_2020_Democratic_Party_presidential_primaries

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2021, 4:02 pm

Oh okay, it's just I thought a lot of people seem to prefer her over Biden based on what a lot of people say. However, would a bad track record stop her from running? Like do you need a good track record as an attorney general as a requirement to run, if you are an attorney general? Trump was not an attorney general for example, so I didn't think they voters cared about those things.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

08 Jan 2021, 4:30 pm

Harris’s main issue was the same issue that most candidates ran into - Joe Biden was also running. Harris was popular with black voters and moderates, but Joe Biden was more popular with exactly those groups.

I suspect the number of people who voted for Biden because they liked Harris was pretty small. Selecting her as his VP seems to have had very little impact upon Biden’s polling performance, which was consistently strong. More people will have voted for Biden because they like him, because of his association with Obama, or simply to get rid of Donald Trump.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2021, 4:34 pm

ironpony wrote:
Why didn't Kamala Harris run for President herself? ... But why did she drop out?
You have to ask Kamal Harris for the more detailed and truthful answer.  Every other answer is only speculation.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2021, 5:12 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
I suspect the number of people who voted for Biden because they liked Harris was pretty small. Selecting her as his VP seems to have had very little impact upon Biden’s polling performance, which was consistently strong. More people will have voted for Biden because they like him, because of his association with Obama, or simply to get rid of Donald Trump.

I voted for Biden primarily to get rid of Trump, but I'm also glad that Biden picked Kamela Harris as his VP. Even if her record as a reformist prosecutor wasn't 100% unblemished, she's still in an excellent position to be a moderating voice in debates about police reform.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2021, 5:17 pm

I'm kind of glad she didn't run.

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2021, 5:42 pm

Personally, I feel that she is being primed for future success.
She could do with more experience.

I consider her to be PE Biden's Padawan.

Her time will come, when the universe is ready...

Tross
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2021, 6:17 pm

I thought she did, but was beaten by Biden and quite a few others. Ultimately, Biden came out on top and made her his Vice President. I think in this particular election, people felt the Democrats needed a white guy to beat Donald, or at least, they had more confidence in someone like Biden than they did in someone like Harris, so I don't at all believe he was voted in just so she would be. Besides, I get the sense that a lot of people who voted that way likely did so to defeat the orange oaf first and foremost.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2021, 2:44 am

Oh okay, I didn't know that.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2021, 3:03 am

VegetableMan wrote:

That is my understanding.

Udinaas wrote:
ironpony wrote:

She wasn't very many people's first choice. Look at the polling:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nationwide_opinion_polling_for_the_2020_Democratic_Party_presidential_primaries

That's my understanding. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2021, 3:08 am

ironpony wrote:
Oh okay, it's just I thought a lot of people seem to prefer her over Biden based on what a lot of people say. However, would a bad track record stop her from running? Like do you need a good track record as an attorney general as a requirement to run, if you are an attorney general? Trump was not an attorney general for example, so I didn't think they voters cared about those things.

Here in Australia, it was reported she supported some odious reforms.
She has also been described as a "Marxist", by some over here, and some consider that scared some people away from her.

So I heard. 8)

Fnord wrote:
ironpony wrote:
Why didn't Kamala Harris run for President herself? ... But why did she drop out?
You have to ask Kamal Harris for the more detailed and truthful answer. Every other answer is only speculation.

A wise man once said: "In the absence of facts, speculation rulz."
That wise man is me. 8)