Update Autism diagnosis status options in profile

Page 2 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2021, 7:49 pm

I know Alex was about 17 years old when he and his friend started the Site.

If it was described that way then--then, for sure, there should have been more choices for people as to how they view themselves, or their diagnostic status.

Abstract_Logic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2021, 7:51 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
About Wrong Planet
Wrong Planet is the web community designed for individuals (and parents / professionals of those) with Autism, Asperger’s Syndrome, ADHD, PDDs, and other neurological differences.

This is how the site is described. Was it described differently in 2004?

I just think it's peculiar to be called "Other", even if that dropdown was made in 2004.

It's not so much that I want to find kinship with other autistic people, but the options should be more accepting.

It's the same with gender choices. Those really need to be updated.

Yep

RPG enthusiast
Has OCD, social anxiety, CPTSD

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2021, 7:52 pm

I'd prefer to be known as "Significant Other". :P

Abstract_Logic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2021, 8:03 pm

Fnord wrote:
As I have pointed out many times before, there is always the signature line for expressing whatever one believes their true identity to be.  I just advise against providing too much detail.

Yes, I have noticed others using the signature as well. Maybe the diagnosis dropdown option should just be scrapped altogether. I don't think it's possible to provide too much detail in the signature because there is a character limit. At least not as much detail as many users already express in their posts and elsewhere on the Internet, if the concern is about social engineering. But it's a good point that this site is not all that private. I'm pretty sure non-members are able to browse all posts except what's in the private sub-forum, and even so, it's pretty trivial for anyone to register and become a member.

Which brings up another point: For the sake of privacy and safety, maybe administrators can remove the section in user profiles for other users to view all their posts, if it hasn't been done already? Or at least make that section only visible to the user themself? This might actually require an overhaul of the forum software, as I think that's just built-in to phpBB.

RPG enthusiast

Abstract_Logic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2021, 8:17 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I agree that it would make sense to change the "diagnosis options." If that's possible.

When WrongPlanet started in 2004, it was primarily for people with Asperger's Syndrome. Now, the scope of the clientele/membership has vastly broadened. We have people with all sorts of "conditions," all sorts of "co-morbids" accompanying those "conditions," and various ways in which they want to be represented.

I, for one, will never in my life have Asperger's because of my speech delay. I am a "classic autistic" who was very fortunate that it has presented less severe than previously over the years.

I am KraftieKortie more than I am autistic or anything else----but there are some people here who want others to know that they are part of the autistic community, and feel a pride of belonging and kinship with others who are part of that community.

Exactly. You get it :)

RPG enthusiast

Abstract_Logic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2021, 11:38 pm

Fnord wrote:
[color=black]As I have pointed out many times before

I have never seen you point this out many times before. I haven't personally seen anyone else raise this very issue. So again, spare me the condescension. I don't know what makes you think you are entitled to condescend to people on here, but fun fact: you can be honest [redacted]

RPG enthusiast

Last edited by Cornflake on 13 Jan 2021, 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.: Once again, removed personal attack

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2021, 1:43 am

Abstract_Logic wrote:
Fnord wrote:
First, it is unlikely to happen.  Any such updates would require an overhaul of the website software, and the owner has show little interest in anything so drastic.

It may be unlikely to happen given the owner not being interested, but it would not require an overhaul of the website software. It's freaking phpBB for heck sake, probably the easiest forum software to configure.

Fnord wrote:
Second, it is un-necessary.  We know who we are and we are not our labels.

It's not necessary, but it might be handy to have displayed under our usernames in our posts. It's also not about labels but about having our identities acknowledged. I don't know if you've been keeping up with the neurodivergent community, but we identify with our autism conditions; they are part of us, the same way gender is part of who someone is. It would help provide a bit of background info on who we are. "We our not our labels" basically dismisses someone's identity. Speaking of which, we might as well be allowed to list our preferred pronouns there, too, as it also provides important background about users. If you don't like it, you are free to choose not to put that info there.

Fnord wrote:
Finally, it is unlikely that anybody really reads those things once they have set up their own account.

All the more reason to allow it to be displayed under our usernames in our posts.

I do not appreciate your condescending tone. Please do better or do not reply to me.

If they couldn't constantly rely on a condescending tone some posters might never post here.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Abstract_Logic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2021, 3:52 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Abstract_Logic wrote:
Fnord wrote:
First, it is unlikely to happen.  Any such updates would require an overhaul of the website software, and the owner has show little interest in anything so drastic.

It may be unlikely to happen given the owner not being interested, but it would not require an overhaul of the website software. It's freaking phpBB for heck sake, probably the easiest forum software to configure.

Fnord wrote:
Second, it is un-necessary.  We know who we are and we are not our labels.

It's not necessary, but it might be handy to have displayed under our usernames in our posts. It's also not about labels but about having our identities acknowledged. I don't know if you've been keeping up with the neurodivergent community, but we identify with our autism conditions; they are part of us, the same way gender is part of who someone is. It would help provide a bit of background info on who we are. "We our not our labels" basically dismisses someone's identity. Speaking of which, we might as well be allowed to list our preferred pronouns there, too, as it also provides important background about users. If you don't like it, you are free to choose not to put that info there.

Fnord wrote:
Finally, it is unlikely that anybody really reads those things once they have set up their own account.

All the more reason to allow it to be displayed under our usernames in our posts.

I do not appreciate your condescending tone. Please do better or do not reply to me.

If they couldn't constantly rely on a condescending tone some posters might never post here.

True, but good riddance, I say.

RPG enthusiast

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2021, 5:54 am

Abstract_Logic wrote:
Which brings up another point: For the sake of privacy and safety, maybe administrators can remove the section in user profiles for other users to view all their posts, if it hasn't been done already? Or at least make that section only visible to the user themself? This might actually require an overhaul of the forum software, as I think that's just built-in to phpBB.

I on occasion do view other users posts to know more about them to lesson the chance of making false assumptions.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2021, 7:15 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Abstract_Logic wrote:

I on occasion do view other users posts to know more about them to lesson the chance of making false assumptions.

I agree with ASPartOfMe. This gives a much more global view of a member, it can indicate either consistent trolling or just an unintentional straying into an offensive/violation of the rules post. If a member has nothing to hide then it shouldn't present a problem.

OutsideView
Veteran
Veteran

Location: England ^not male but apparently you can't change it

13 Jan 2021, 7:57 am

Teach51 wrote:
If a member has nothing to hide then it shouldn't present a problem.

If someone thought they actually knew you, having an overview of all of your posts might help them know for sure. The things I have to hide are generally what goes on in my head which I feel more comfortable sharing with some degree of anonymity. Perhaps viewing all of someone's posts could be restricted to users who have made a few posts and therefore possibly also shared something of themselves.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2021, 7:58 am

Being so Asperger's still exists in the UK or lots of people have been diagnosed with Asperger's in the past, the options should be something like:

Have Asperger's (diagnosed)
Have autism (diagnosed)
Self-diagnosed ASD
Suspect I have an ASD
Have some other neurological disorder/disability
Neurotypical (no neurological disorders/disabilities)

I think it's a bit silly to have an autism site where the only options revolve around Asperger's and no mention of autism! When Alex created this site autism and AS must have been two separate diagnoses but he still could have added autism as an option too. I mean, this is an autism site!

Abstract_Logic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2021, 9:36 am

Teach51 wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Abstract_Logic wrote:

I agree with ASPartOfMe. This gives a much more global view of a member, it can indicate either consistent trolling or just an unintentional straying into an offensive/violation of the rules post. If a member has nothing to hide then it shouldn't present a problem.

Of course, but this misses the point. In many cases, such information being available can present a problem--namely, by leaving a vector open for trolls to have ammunition for cyberbullying. Almost everybody here has old posts from years ago where they might have expressed views or attitudes they no longer agree with. Imagine how that could be used to blackmail, dox, or be framed in a certain light and taken out of context. As an example, in my earlier, more naive WP days, I was more verbally hostile with regard to neurotypicality. I was also more impulsive in not thinking through everything I shared here. Since I no longer hold those attitudes or think that way, I would be extremely embarrassed if those posts were taken and framed as if they were representative of current-me.

RPG enthusiast

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2021, 10:46 am

Abstract_Logic wrote:
Teach51 wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Abstract_Logic wrote:

Of course, but this misses the point. In many cases, such information being available can present a problem--namely, by leaving a vector open for trolls to have ammunition for cyberbullying. Almost everybody here has old posts from years ago where they might have expressed views or attitudes they no longer agree with. Imagine how that could be used to blackmail, dox, or be framed in a certain light and taken out of context. As an example, in my earlier, more naive WP days, I was more verbally hostile with regard to neurotypicality. I was also more impulsive in not thinking through everything I shared here. Since I no longer hold those attitudes or think that way, I would be extremely embarrassed if those posts were taken and framed as if they were representative of current-me.

Very valid points. How about the option of erasing post history periodically at a member's request? Annually for example?

Soliloquist
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Jan 2021, 1:04 pm

Abstract_Logic wrote:
Which brings up another point: For the sake of privacy and safety, maybe administrators can remove the section in user profiles for other users to view all their posts, if it hasn't been done already? Or at least make that section only visible to the user themself?

You can use Google search engine to search for members posts.
Code:
site:\\wrongplanet.net Member_To_Search_For

Abstract_Logic wrote:
I'm sure I'm not the only member who has suggested this, but the Autism diagnosis status selection in the user profiles needs an update to reflect identity-first language and current consensus among the neurodiversity community regarding the Autism spectrum. Since this is a site for all neurodivergence, maybe include options for other conditions as well?

Here are possible suggestions for options. Feel free to critique or make suggestions!

- Autistic (diagnosed)
- Autistic (undiagnosed or self-diagnosed)
- Other neurodivergent
- Not sure if autistic or not
- Neurotypical

Another suggestion is to allow users to enter our own options with a text box the same way we can specify our interests.

Is this something you would be interested in?
viewtopic.php?t=374811

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

13 Jan 2021, 6:55 pm

You’re not wrong, OP. Unfortunately I think Fnord’s assessment is correct.

If I had the choice between fixing this and fixing the gender options then I’d probably go with gender. But both are important.