Pence will not invoke 25th Amendment

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2021, 9:30 pm

VP Pence rules out invoking 25th Amendment to remove Trump from power

Quote:
The House convened Tuesday night to vote on urging Vice President Mike Pence to invoke the 25th Amendment to the Constitution to remove Trump with a Cabinet vote. But shortly before that, Pence said he would not do so in a letter to House Speaker Nancy Pelosi.

In the letter issued late Tuesday, Pence said the mechanism should not be used “as a means of punishment or usurpation” and reserved for cases of medical or mental incapacitation. Pelosi has called on Pence to secure the majority of the Cabinet and vote to declare Trump unfit to serve.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2021, 9:45 pm

He probably can't find the cabinet...

Tross
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2021, 10:12 pm

I didn't expect him to. I fully expected Donald's political future to hinge on what's decided in his second impeachment vote.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2021, 10:29 pm

He’s dead in the water politically...no matter what.

The impeachment and possible conviction won’t mean much in hindsight...even though it would be the first time a President was convicted in an impeachment trial.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

13 Jan 2021, 12:43 pm

AIUI if Trump is actually convicted, that will disbar him from ever holding public office.
It will also mean that he misses out on the ex-president handouts and support. I think America has already paid him enough.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2021, 12:53 pm

Slightly challenging to prove trump is nuts without professional diagnoses - but it could have been done.

Can’t help but wonder if part of pence’ decision not to pursue the 25th is influenced by the fact that magats have issued death threats to him if he does.

Cornflake wrote:
AIUI if Trump is actually convicted, that will disbar him from ever holding public office.
It will also mean that he misses out on the ex-president handouts and support. I think America has already paid him enough.

This.

F trump. 8)

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2021, 12:54 pm

Jiheisho wrote:
He probably can't find the cabinet...
More likely he cannot find his spine.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2021, 2:51 pm

How are any Republicans supporting him, I call them his minions. Oh well, only 7 more days.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

13 Jan 2021, 3:14 pm

I've been watching the live impeachment debate and the most notable thing is a majority of Republicans doggedly presenting a mix of "Democrats have always been against Trump", "But what about those other riots?", "President Trump is a man of peace" - and a really worrying blind faith in the Orange One who apparently can do no wrong. Even when he's done wrong.

Bravo5150
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2021, 3:19 pm

Cornflake wrote:
I've been watching the live impeachment debate and the most notable thing is a majority of Republicans doggedly presenting a mix of "Democrats have always been against Trump", "But what about those other riots?", "President Trump is a man of peace" - and a really worrying blind faith in the Orange One who apparently can do no wrong. Even when he's done wrong.

Does not surprise me that some would keep the faith. I had someone tell me that they saw on Fox news the riot at the capitol was all antifa doing, when I saw the website fox actually blamed both sides.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2021, 4:59 pm

Cornflake wrote:

Probably the ones who aided him in this and are praying for pardons.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

13 Jan 2021, 7:10 pm

It was a parade of craven spinelessness. Quite shocking, really, to see such weak defences of Trump's actions and the attempts at deflection.

No-one wanted to look at what Trump's been doing for the past four years, to take that into account as a drip, drip, drip enablement of all that's nasty lurking under the surface in America, his relentlessly sowing fear and doubt about the democratic process, a steadily increasing build-up to the events of the 6th.

That didn't happen in isolation - Trump is the root and cheerleader of it all yet they refuse to see it.