1 in 4 Doctors Attacked, Harassed on Social Media

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2021, 4:51 am

NBC Chicago

Quote:
Many physicians have reported being sexually harassed and personally attacked on social media platforms on the basis of their religion, race or medical recommendations, a new joint study from Northwestern University and the University of Chicago revealed.

While the data were collected before the COVID-19 pandemic, the findings highlight the intensity of online harassment, which the authors stated has intensified since the crisis.

According to a news release, the study found one in four physicians reported being personally attacked on social media, including being barraged by negative reviews, receiving coordinated harassment and threats at work and having personal information shared publicly.

“If anything, our data is likely an underestimate of the true extent of attacks and harassment post-pandemic since so many doctors started to advocate for public health measures during the pandemic and have been met with an increasingly polarized populace emboldened by leadership that devalues science and fact,” said senior and corresponding author Dr. Vineet Arora, assistant dean for scholarship and discovery at the University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine.

Women were disproportionately affected by personal attacks and sexual harassment, the study revealed, as one in six women physicians reported being sexually harassed on social media.

“Women in medicine are already less likely to hold leadership positions or be first or last authors of research, so disproportionately abstaining from a platform used for collaboration and networking due to sexual harassment and personal attacks should be a cause for concern," stated author Tricia Pendergrast, a second-year medical student at Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

NaturalEntity
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2021, 2:54 pm

Unacceptable behaviour. I cannot believe this.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2021, 3:14 pm

Online harassment in general, of all sorts of people, is a big problem these days.

Also, a lot of people (at least here in the U.S.A.) hate doctors for reasons that aren't really the doctors' fault but a consequence of the way the medical system is organized here in the U.S.A.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2021, 7:08 pm

This should never be tolerated at all.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2021, 5:45 pm

there is something seriously wrong with this nation, that amuuricans seem powerless to diagnose much less treat. it is getting to the point where we need a superior external force to fix us somehow.