Man arrested with explosives had Congressman on note

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2021, 11:10 am

Man arrested with explosives had Rep. André Carson on threatening note

Quote:
A 70-year-old Alabama man who was arrested with 11 Molotov cocktails, guns and ammo after the US Capitol riot also had “concerning handwritten messages” in his truck — including one that singled out US Rep. André Carson of Indiana, according to a report.

Lonnie Coffman, of Falkville, had the “ready to go’’ explosive devices in his red GMC pickup along with an M4 carbine assault rifle and two handguns, Justice Department officials have said.

The Trump supporter was indicted in federal court Monday on 17 charges after prosecutors said the explosive devices and firearms were found in his vehicle during the Jan. 6 insurrection.

In court documents filed Tuesday, prosecutors included a photograph of a handwritten note describing conservative media personalities as “good guys,” a judge appointed by President Barack Obama as a “bad guy” and a message about the Democratic congressman, the Indianapolis Star reported.

The note does not explicitly label Carson as in either the “good” or “bad” category, but indicates he is one of a small number of Muslims serving in the House, according to the new outlet.

On the handwritten note was a quote Coffman attributed to Abraham Lincoln.

“We The People Are the Rightful Masters of Both The Congress and The courts, Not To Overthrow The Constitution But to Overthrow The Men Who Pervert The Constitution,” he wrote, the Indianapolis Star reported.

Citing fact-checking website Snopes.com, the newspaper noted that Lincoln did write something similar to that quote, but used the words in the context of preventing the spread of slavery.

In a motion for pretrial detention, prosecutors said the messages “raise alarm in the context of the January 6 rioting and criminal infringement on our nation’s democratic process.”

My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person. - Sara Luterman

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2021, 12:38 pm

Reminds me of all the right wing pundits complaining that big tech cancelling trump’s social media accounts is a violation of the first amendment of the US constitution. Um, no, it isn’t.. because big tech isn’t government & thus it does not apply. Anyways, my point is that these looney tunes insurrectionists are fed a steady diet of bs from right wing media that tells that them everything they don’t like is “unconstitutional,” and that fighting for whatever it is they decide they stand for in the moment is “defending the constitution,” which leads to this crazy nonsense.

I think a whole lot of this mess could be avoided if people who claim things are “unconstitutional,” or that they’re “defending the constitution,” would actually read the constitution of the United States of America - really read it, and understand it.

No, I have never read it. But I don’t make these claims. Would be nice if people who DID make these claims could actually argue them intelligently. Instead, they just get all wound up by someone saying the magic multi-syllabic word and then they go and do stupid things in the name of said word. Constitutional!! Lol I bet trump himself has never even read it.

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2021, 4:21 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Reminds me of all the right wing pundits complaining that big tech cancelling trump’s social media accounts is a violation of the first amendment of the US constitution. Um, no, it isn’t.. because big tech isn’t government & thus it does not apply. Anyways, my point is that these looney tunes insurrectionists are fed a steady diet of bs from right wing media that tells that them everything they don’t like is “unconstitutional,” and that fighting for whatever it is they decide they stand for in the moment is “defending the constitution,” which leads to this crazy nonsense.

I wanted to add that hate speech is not protected under the first amendment either per the Supreme Court decisions. That point alone should stop the arguments that Trump has been unfairly cut off of social media platforms. Social media platforms are liable for major lawsuits if they let that go unchecked.

We unfortunately cannot stop the crazy people from thinking crazy thoughts. But we can try to prevent them from using their loudspeakers (I.e. social media) to reach an audience and spread hateful messages.

Bravo5150
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2021, 4:26 pm

goldfish21 wrote:

I think a whole lot of this mess could be avoided if people who claim things are “unconstitutional,” or that they’re “defending the constitution,” would actually read the constitution of the United States of America - really read it, and understand it.

No, I have never read it. But I don’t make these claims. Would be nice if people who DID make these claims could actually argue them intelligently. Instead, they just get all wound up by someone saying the magic multi-syllabic word and then they go and do stupid things in the name of said word. Constitutional!! Lol I bet trump himself has never even read it.

I have encountered a few right wingers who try to argue about the first amendment as an absolute, even when expression of freedom of expression is likely to cause injury or death.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2021, 4:34 pm

QuantumChemist wrote:
I wanted to add that hate speech is not protected under the first amendment either per the Supreme Court decisions.

Actually, hate speech is protected as long as it doesn't veer into threats or incitement of violent criminal activity, or slander/libel against specific people. A "hate crime" entails either violence or property crime, not just speech.