Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Hollywood_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2021, 5:12 pm

What does everyone think about terrestrial television and radio?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2021, 5:30 pm

I much prefer Martian programs myself.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2021, 1:24 pm

What do you mean by "terrestrial"?

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2021, 2:26 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
What do you mean by "terrestrial"?

It means the radio transmitter is on Earth, rather than in orbit.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2021, 2:41 pm

They are easier to decode that satellite-broadcast programs.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Hollywood_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2021, 8:53 pm

I think "terrestrial" is a European/Australia term (I live in the US). "Over-the-air" is a more common expression in North America.

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2021, 12:20 pm

Hollywood_Guy wrote:
I think "terrestrial" is a European/Australia term (I live in the US). "Over-the-air" is a more common expression in North America.

I would say the more common term is BROADCAST radio/TV. Though, with the rise of satellites and things like Sirius/XM subscription satellite radio, terrestrial may be used as a point of distinction.

I remember Howard Stern was surprised that more people didn't switch over to satellite radio, but it's still impractical for the average person and much easier to use broadcast/OTA/terrestrial radio, especially in the car. And now, with streaming services, satellite radio isn't the only alternative.

With TV, the cool thing about digitization is the addition of sub-channels. Not too long ago, Cable TV was a nice luxury that offered 50+ channels, in comparison to terrestrial broadcast that could, at most, offer maybe 10 channels tops (if you lived in a major market area). And many people weren't so lucky. Now, one station may have 4 or 5 broadcast sub-channels, meaning there's more available over-the-air.

And notice how the dominant radio players ABC/NBC/CBS in the USA became the dominant TV players, and to this day most major programming is still broadcast related.

So, I think terrestrial TV and radio are still quite prevalent.