Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2021, 11:53 pm

1. What is the difference between download & upload? 2. Is the download & upload speed the WiFi range? 3. What is brandwhith? I wish I knew more about the internet.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2021, 10:56 am

I am about as tech savvy as a box of hammers, but I do know some things.

To "upload" is to send something.

To "download" is to receive something.

You upload your picture to a dating site, and you download a movie from Netflix.

Its "bandwidth", not "brandwith".

Wifi range is how far your device can transmit something through the air. If its wifi it might be only a few dozen feet in your house.

And bandwidth (whether its TV, radio, or Wifi) is the range of the radio spectrum each channel of your radio transmitter uses. If your walkytalky or wifi or radio station transmits at 1000 hertz and ONLY at a 1000 hertz then it has a narrow bandwidth. But if your 1000 hertz station actually goes out at range of 998 to 1002 hartz then it has a broader bandwidth.

OutsideView
Veteran
Veteran

Location: England ^not male but apparently you can't change it

14 Jan 2021, 11:34 am

naturalplastic wrote:
I am about as tech savvy as a box of hammers

Ha ha ha!

naturalplastic wrote:
And bandwidth (whether its TV, radio, or Wifi) is the range of the radio spectrum each channel of your radio transmitter uses. If your walkytalky or wifi or radio station transmits at 1000 hertz and ONLY at a 1000 hertz then it has a narrow bandwidth. But if your 1000 hertz station actually goes out at range of 998 to 1002 hartz then it has a broader bandwidth.

Does bandwidth also determine how much data you can transfer per second or am I getting confused?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2021, 11:43 am

Yes. I think that thats how it works. Broader than band the more you can send.