Not feeling good right now

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

warrier120
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2021, 11:57 pm

The title says everything.

I've been feeling sad and hopeless lately. I think that the events happening in my life, including all of the bad things happening in the US and my contraction of the coronavirus, contributed to these feelings. (It also doesn't help how I tend to look up news related to autism and coincidentally find all sorts of sources related to autism research — the kind that would probably lead to a biological treatment or "cure" in the future.)

I worry that I may be either suffering from or on the brink of depression again. Tomorrow I will talk to my psychologist, so hopefully I will figure out what's happening.

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2021, 5:44 am

Hi Warrior, I'm sorry you've been feeling down. There's a lot of negative stuff going on around the world, that's for sure.
Just one thing though, I saw you recently recovered from covid. It's possible that your body/brain is not quite completely recovered and that might be contributing to your mood? You might try taking plenty of rest and maybe vitamins and seeing if things improve. But do try and get psychological support also if needed.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2021, 6:33 am

One thing about these times we are in. Try to avoid watching the news as it is very depressing. Block out the news and you will likely feel more relaxed and calm.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2021, 7:12 am

I’m glad you’re recovered from COVID. MrsPeel is right; perhaps that’s contributing to your mood.

Autism has many causes. There will never be “one cure.” Like the Common Cold.

I had COVID, too. I’m walking almost 100 miles per week on average. After COVID.

I’m sorry you’re feeling down.

NaturalEntity
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2021, 3:15 pm

Nor am I. I'm trying my best to avoid all the awful news and focus on my current special interests instead. Maybe practicing self care will help? It does for me.
(Side note: sorry if the PM I sent a few days ago was out of the blue. I genuinely want to get to get to know you but if that's hard to do right now that's fine.)

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2021, 3:43 pm

Elon Musk believes his neural link has the potential to cure ASD.

He believes that a great deal of human's problems that start with the brain can be sorted out with this
super sophisticated brain implant chip, which he hopes to produce in quantities to make it cheap and accessible for almost everyone.

You never know, science and technology certainly has opened up all sorts of new possibilities for the human race.

As for depression. I believe even going through a dose of normal flu often has an impact on an individuals psychological well being, so don't be too hard on yourself.

Sleep lots to get enough rest, keep well hydrated (especially with water), and perhaps pamper yourself a little.
Hopefully you will feel better.

If not, if you are not on medication, consider going to your local doctor and explain how you feel.
If you are on medication, consider explaining how you feel to your doctor and ask for a medication review.

I also think that mental outlook can also help, although can't solve all problems, but in some cases,
can help us keep a positive outlook and keep us happy.

With all the bad news around at the mo, it can be easy to start thinking that all there is in life is doom and gloom, but this isn't true, as even though some bad things are happening, the world is still turning and there is still a great deal of the world and life left to look forward to once this whole pants a demic is over.

I think the task of counting your blessings can be a really productive activity to keep you on a positive and humble train of thought.

If you believe in God, then I do not think it does any harm to prey to your God (of choice).
If you don't believe in God, it may still be worth preying to God anyway, hey, what harm could it do.
I think that if nothing else, it will help you get a positive outlook.
Stay happy!

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2021, 7:43 pm

Sorry to hear warrier. At 17, you’re dealing with alot, let alone what’s happening out there in the world. Such a mix of highs and lows from hormones, relationships, studies, work(if you work part-time as I did at that age).

At a stage further on from my teens, I was researching all things autism, left, right and centre, and stumbled upon many a study focused on curing rather than acceptance of difference. It was extremely disheartening. Once I distanced myself from the negatives, I felt so much better. Beware of what you read and its impact. You don’t need negative. I think it’s important to separate what’s considered the usual topsy turvy, turbulent world of your brain when you’re at this age, from autism itself. Autism may accentuate emotions and things may appear worse than what they actually are. History shows the tide turns, events occur that rock our world, and then time passes and life goes on.

Try to give yourself something to look forward to each day. Try to get out for walks in nature, exercise, eat right, get enough Zzzzzs. Writing about how you’re feeling might help too! Writing poetry when I was a teenager got me through lots of upheaval.

As others have mentioned, covid can certainly alter how you view the world and your mental health generally. Be gentle on yourself.

Hang in there. Glad you’ll be talking to your psychologist and hope they can reassure you and set you in the right direction. X PS Hope your parents are recovering from covid alright.

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2021, 8:59 pm

warrier120 wrote:
The title says everything.

I've been feeling sad and hopeless lately. I think that the events happening in my life, including all of the bad things happening in the US and my contraction of the coronavirus, contributed to these feelings. (It also doesn't help how I tend to look up news related to autism and coincidentally find all sorts of sources related to autism research — the kind that would probably lead to a biological treatment or "cure" in the future.)

I worry that I may be either suffering from or on the brink of depression again. Tomorrow I will talk to my psychologist, so hopefully I will figure out what's happening.

The whole thing with the news and the coronavirus, lockdowns etc is just so overwhelming for pretty much so many people, how much more for an autistic person?

The sudden changes and the way you probably have to immediately adapt to the new ways of living may have overwhelmed you in a way. At such a young age aswell, I can also image your hormones (as Juliette has mentioned) would be all over the place.

Talking to your psychologist is a good way to try identify what is going on and to let off what has been on your mind. After contracting coronavirus, you probably would feel fatigued as I've experienced when I've contracted corona some time back, took a while for my body to not feel fatigued.

Ideally when you feel like this, it is probably best to avoid watching things that are negative and try to watch something that is uplifting or even play video games if needed.

Hope all is well with you?

quite an extreme
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2021, 9:34 pm

Sorry to hear that. Depression is a big sh*t and can become even worse for you then all the stuff you are worrying about. You have to fight it yourself right now. Don't ever hope for wonders that meds and drugs can do. The problem is that the brain is able to learn. It's a good thing in normal cases but can become a problem to if people worry as much about negative things that they start to worry about even the tiniest problems and to worry endless about things that they can't change either. Become aware of that! Care the positive things in your life more even the little ones. Go out of the house in the daylight. It distracts because you start to care the things around you and the you are worrying about appear a lot smaller then. Depression can make your life a hell. If you wan't a life that is fun and worth to live then you need to become aware of that and need to fight it. You are a bright and cool girl. Stop to worry as much about things that you can't change and get rid of that sh*t. The life has it's beautiful and awesome sides as well but you need to care them more right now.

lvpin
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2021, 9:44 pm

I'm sorry you are feeling like this right now. I can only imagine how stressful it would be to live in the US with everything going on right now, especially given the fact that it can be hard for us to deal with uncertainty. I hope things become more stable for you guys in the future.

The news can be your enemy when you are anxious so try to not look at it or if you look at news try to look at positive things to make you more helpful. Also yeah the stuff about curing autism can be upsetting so I understand your feelings there.

Mental health can go up and down and it is understandable especially during these trying times. I find having a schedule I set for myself can help, as I see a big difference when I stray from it, but I get that can be really hard when you are really depressed. Try to take care of yourself where you can and find time to have escapism from work. Are you having to deal with online school where you are? Lot's of teachers are setting more so its even more important to find some sort of outlet, even if you do it for only 30 minutes a day. I struggle yo take care of myself when I'm down so I try to find tiny things that make me feel better like drinking mint tea so my mouth feels less gross. Every little thing can help. Also sunlight can be strangely important so even opening your curtains could do you some good.

I hope you feel better soon : )