Does space travel work, like how it does in sci-fi movies?

Page 4 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2021, 4:53 pm

All I am saying is that a real study of the real history of physics reveals that the understandings of the rules DO change over time. Claiming that FTL cannot exist because it would contradict causality basically says "our understanding of physics in history was wrong but now it is right - so we will never need to change it again".

Claiming that, while this has happened in the past it will never happen again because NOW we know everything is not real science. Which is why there are two branches of real physics, Theoretical and Experimental.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theoretical_physics

Pointing out Theoretical physics is not Experimental physics does not invalidate the existence or utility of Theoretical physics. And is does not prove that no new theories will ever be proven to be true - nor that all current theories which do not currently have evidence to prove them must therefore eventually be proven false. At least SOME of them will eventually be proven true - we cannot say for sure which ones yet - and so we cannot say all unproven theories will REMAIN unproven.

The history of science shows just opposite - sometimes unfashionable theories have later been proven true.

In other news (and more on topic):

Nuclear-powered rocket could get astronauts to Mars faster
https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/03/world/nu ... index.html

(this one is not theoretical - just expensive)

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2021, 4:59 pm

Past performance is no indicator of future events.

Sure, maybe, someday, someone might accidentally stumble upon a previously unknown loophole in the fabric of timespace; but neither bet the farm nor hold your breath waiting for it to happen, for it is not at all likely to happen in either of our lifetimes, given the current level of scientific knowledge and the current state of world affairs.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2021, 7:06 pm

Forward looking:

New and Improved Antimatter Spaceship for Mars Missions
https://www.nasa.gov/exploration/home/a ... eship.html

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2021, 10:20 am

Fenn wrote:
The grand unified theory will require some kind changes when physicists can find one that agrees with all evidence.
4 dimensions will not be enough for that.

Theories have to follow the universe and not the other way around. Every "law" of physics is a mathematical model. Einstein said "To the extent math refers to reality, we are not certain to the extent we are certain, math does not refer to reality".

I have a hypothesis on the Theory of Everything based upon Albert Einstein’s Special Theory of Relativity. It will likely not be testable during our lifetimes due to the limited extent we can measure certain properties of very small particles. From my perspective, Einstein was much closer to the truth of TOE than what he realized (when he died in 1955). It does require higher dimensions to exist to explain quantum entanglement of particles and dark matter/energy. PM me if you want to know more.

Many physicists have buried themselves in the math to the point that it no longer relates to things that actually exist in our universe. They see numbers on paper and try to fit the universe to the numbers. It should be the other way around. I have seen this happen so many times over the years. As a chemist, I look at the physical data that we have and see how can the data be best explained by what we know. It has led to many arguments with my physicist friends, as they cannot see how it can be done that way. We have agreed to disagree on that part.