Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2021, 10:59 am

I need to go to the store today, and one of my right-wing relatives took me...

Because of some random post, she believes that they are about to cut off ALL utilities, even water, and even close down stores... She's buying stuff like crazy and I feel bad for her, because I recognized the post she shared with me... The same exact post with the same exact sign was going around months ago at the beginning of corona... And it was back then proven to be fake...

Sigh...

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2021, 11:56 am

Its not just the Right. The Left-Wingers just spent 4 years believing the disproven Russian Collusion Hoax that is still believed to this day.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2021, 1:33 pm

Mr Reynholm wrote:
Its not just the Right. The Left-Wingers just spent 4 years believing the disproven Russian Collusion Hoax that is still believed to this day.

"Disproven" how? There's actually plenty of evidence of ties between the 2016 Trump campaign and Russia. See, for example:

- Senate Report: Former Trump Aide Paul Manafort Shared Campaign Info With Russia, NPR, August 18, 2020
- Yes, Collusion. Yes, Obstruction., June 22, 2020 -- about the less redacted version of the Mueller report that was released shortly before then.
- Guide to the Mueller Report’s Findings on “Collusion” by Ryan Goodman, April 29, 2019.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2021, 1:41 pm

Mr Reynholm wrote:
Another diversionary post, Reynie?  Just because the Right-Wingers have blocked every attempt (so far) to bring your buddy Donny-Boy to trial, that does not mean that the evidence is invalid.

Do not worry ... he will have his day in court ...

:lol: ... and his years in prison ...

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2021, 2:37 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:

"Disproven" how? There's actually plenty of evidence of ties between the 2016 Trump campaign and Russia. See, for example:

- Senate Report: Former Trump Aide Paul Manafort Shared Campaign Info With Russia, NPR, August 18, 2020
- Yes, Collusion. Yes, Obstruction., June 22, 2020 -- about the less redacted version of the Mueller report that was released shortly before then.
- Guide to the Mueller Report’s Findings on “Collusion” by Ryan Goodman, April 29, 2019.
The same media that is telling you that Trump colluded with Russia is the same media that is saying that he incited a crowd to attack the Capital building but not telling WHAT he said. There are websites out there that will cater to whatever the listener wants to hear.

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2021, 2:38 pm

Fnord wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:
Another diversionary post, Reynie?  Just because the Right-Wingers have blocked every attempt (so far) to bring your buddy Donny-Boy to trial, that does not mean that the evidence is invalid.

Do not worry ... he will have his day in court ...

:lol: ... and his years in prison ...

Where is the EVIDENCE?

Bataar
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2021, 5:26 pm

There's way more evidence indicating this election was stolen than there is of Russia collusion with Trump.

slam_thunderhide
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Jan 2021, 6:41 pm

Angnix wrote:
I need to go to the store today, and one of my right-wing relatives took me...

Because of some random post, she believes that they are about to cut off ALL utilities, even water, and even close down stores... She's buying stuff like crazy and I feel bad for her, because I recognized the post she shared with me... The same exact post with the same exact sign was going around months ago at the beginning of corona... And it was back then proven to be fake...

Sigh...

The details of your post are a bit vague (what is this post you are referring to?), and I don't know what it's like in Michigan, but I'm from the UK, and most "non-essential" stores have been closed for long periods off and on during the past nine months. With the first lockdown back in March 2020, people started frantically stocking up on bottled water and toilet paper due to perfectly understandable fears that supply lines would grind to a halt - and it had nothing to do with anyone's political orientation. That turned out to be an overreaction, and your relative's reaction sounds like an overreaction, but unless you provide more details I can't see what exactly makes this a "right wing conspiracy theory".

slam_thunderhide
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Jan 2021, 6:47 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:

Yep, leftists are still clinging to this hoax to this day.

Try this: https://taibbi.substack.com/p/russiagat ... -a-million

It's official: Russiagate is this generation's WMD
The Iraq war faceplant damaged the reputation of the press. Russiagate just destroyed it
Matt Taibbi
Mar 23, 2019

And that's from a left-liberal. I also recommend reading what Glenn Greenwald and Michael Tracey had to say about this Russiagate hoax.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2021, 7:57 pm

No overt collusion between Putin and Russia has been proved. FWIW intelligence agencies have said the Russkies tried to steer the 2016 and 2020 elections towered Trump. Nobody has proven they were successful at it. No, Trump winning in 2016 does not prove they were even an important factor in 2016.

Off Topic
A lot of the conspiracy theories about China IMHO are about either deflecting from Russia or just the progressives were successful at firing up their base with Russia, why don't we do the same thing with China?

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Redd_Kross
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2021, 8:24 pm

Mr Reynholm wrote:
The same media that is telling you that Trump colluded with Russia is the same media that is saying that he incited a crowd to attack the Capital building but not telling WHAT he said. There are websites out there that will cater to whatever the listener wants to hear.

You do realise that works both ways round, right? You're choosing to hear what you want to hear.

That doesn't mean the media aren't telling the truth, it could mean they ARE telling the truth but you don't want to see it.

At face value that results in a 50/50 stand off, except the Mueller report was based around facts, whereas Trump is a proven compulsive liar. Posting links to other sources equally desperate to believe his BS doesn't add any credibility to your reasoning. As you've implied, anything is justifiable if you're delusional enough.

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2021, 1:27 pm

Bataar wrote:
There's way more evidence indicating this election was stolen than there is of Russia collusion with Trump.

What?!? I had no idea! Hurry! Get that evidence to Trump's legal team as quickly as possible! They keep failing to find literally anything to present to his own judges!

....unless you were secretly withholding that evidence so Biden could take office! Co-conspirator! Traitor! Marxist!

Δυνατὰ δὲ οἱ προύχοντες πράσσουσι καὶ οἱ ἀσθενεῖς ξυγχωροῦσιν.
Those with power do what their power permits, and the weak can only acquiesce.

- Thucydides

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2021, 7:58 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
No overt collusion between Putin and Russia has been proved. FWIW intelligence agencies have said the Russkies tried to steer the 2016 and 2020 elections towered Trump. Nobody has proven they were successful at it. No, Trump winning in 2016 does not prove they were even an important factor in 2016.

Russian-influenced American news websites/publications such as Breitbart and Zero Hedge played a major role in getting Trump's campaign off the ground in the first place, having been the first semi-major news websites to give him favorable coverage. (The reaction of most other Republicans and conservatives, back then, was to dismiss Trump's candidacy as a joke.)

The Russian influence on Breitbart and Zero Hedge was evident to my boyfriend and myself long before anyone in the mass media started talking about any Trump/Russia connection.

Back in 2015 and early 2016, my boyfriend had two online friends who were among Trump's earliest supporters. Every now and then they would send him links to weird news stories, of one kind or another, from either Breitbart News or Zero Hedge. My boyfriend, thinking the stories were weird, would Google them to see who else was covering these stories. Typically they were covered only by a handful of extreme right wing rags plus Russia Today (RT) -- and the RT story was usually the one with the earliest time stamp. Thus it seemed, to my boyfriend, that Breitbart, Zero Hedge, et al were using RT as an unacknowledged source, thereby acting as channels for Russian propaganda.

In mid-2016, shortly after the Democratic convention, my boyfriend and I attended a Hillary Clinton campaign meeting for the specific purpose of trying to contact her opposition research team to call attention to the obvious Russian influence we had observed. We're probably not the only people who noticed this, but we MIGHT have played an indirect role in helping to get the Trump-Russia investigation off the ground.

My only regret is that my boyfriend and I didn't take sufficiently detailed notes to provide more-actionable intelligence to Hillary Clinton's opposition research team. To this day I wonder whether, had we provided more-detailed notes, the Trump-Russia investigation could have been launched soon enough to defeat Trump in 2016. That we didn't take more detailed notes is one of my biggest regrets.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2021, 8:17 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

Russian-influenced American news websites/publications such as Breitbart and Zero Hedge played a major role in getting Trump's campaign off the ground in the first place, having been the first semi-major news websites to give him favorable coverage. (The reaction of most other Republicans and conservatives, back then, was to dismiss Trump's candidacy as a joke.)

The Russian influence on Breitbart and Zero Hedge was evident to my boyfriend and myself long before anyone in the mass media started talking about any Trump/Russia connection.

Back in 2015 and early 2016, my boyfriend had two online friends who were among Trump's earliest supporters. Every now and then they would send him links to weird news stories, of one kind or another, from either Breitbart News or Zero Hedge. My boyfriend, thinking the stories were weird, would Google them to see who else was covering these stories. Typically they were covered only by a handful of extreme right wing rags plus Russia Today (RT) -- and the RT story was usually the one with the earliest time stamp. Thus it seemed, to my boyfriend, that Breitbart, Zero Hedge, et al were using RT as an unacknowledged source, thereby acting as channels for Russian propaganda.

In mid-2016, shortly after the Democratic convention, my boyfriend and I attended a Hillary Clinton campaign meeting for the specific purpose of trying to contact her opposition research team to call attention to the obvious Russian influence we had observed. We're probably not the only people who noticed this, but we MIGHT have played an indirect role in helping to get the Trump-Russia investigation off the ground.

My only regret is that my boyfriend and I didn't take sufficiently detailed notes to provide more-actionable intelligence to Hillary Clinton's opposition research team. To this day I wonder whether, had we provided more-detailed notes, the Trump-Russia investigation could have been launched soon enough to defeat Trump in 2016. That we didn't take more detailed notes is one of my biggest regrets.

IMHO all of the claims Russians/China/Iranian interference is a deflection from the real problem which is us. For argument's sake lets assume Russian interference was the deciding factor in the 2016 election, and the reason the Democrats did not win a landslide in 2020. Throw in as proposed in another thread that Trump was a Russian asset if you want. Their efforts would not have been successful if there was nothing to exploit.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2021, 8:40 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
IMHO all of the claims Russians/China/Iranian interference is a deflection from the real problem which is us. For argument's sake lets assume Russian interference was the deciding factor in the 2016 election, and the reason the Democrats did not win a landslide in 2020. Throw in as proposed in another thread that Trump was a Russian asset if you want. Their efforts would not have been successful if there was nothing to exploit.

That I can agree with. Before 2016, many people were in denial about the strength of the American extreme right wing, which is mostly home-grown, although it does get some help from Russia.

Still, the Russian influence is real, and had it been called out loudly enough sooner than it was, Trump might not have won.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2021, 10:44 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:

During the cold war Russia and the USA leaders of their day were in daily conversations about all sorts of unexpected things and were actually quite "Pally" while they had the war like act which kept the people of both sides in fear so they can be easily controlled.