Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Hollywood_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2021, 1:00 am

I hope this isn't taken as an insult or coming off the wrong way. Do you believe somebody who has generally felt okay in their body and never felt bad about their gender become trans?

I mean in relation to my own experiences, I was always comfortable being male and in the male body. But at points I got curious what it would be like to be the opposite gender. It looks like there are some advantages to being female - Girls get to have attractive pretty body, hair, breasts, hips - I never really had an issue with the my "guy parts" though. Girls are often thought of as desired and attractive, and socially are perceived as less "creepy" than some men.

I guess my "fascination" is slightly more concerned about aesthetics. Maybe I just imagine being the girl I could never have. I don't know.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2021, 1:44 am

I could recount you a similar story as my path in realising that I was non-binary.

I have generally felt okay with a male body, not really anything like body dysphoria my parts or anything. But I would on occasion have thoughts about a different kind of me, what a female me would be like, not so much a desire to throw male me away, but curiosity.

I recognise years later that I had an interest in genderbending stuff, and elements of the idea of having a feminine and masculine side, and parts of me only felt expressed when I explored a bit. In the geeky sense, it was that I had a tough time creating a warrior character in a game, that it felt wrong as an avatar, until I switched the genders and it suddenly felt right. It eventually led to an understanding of myself as an equilibrium between male and female.

This does not have to be the same to your own experience, nor that you have to be trans. Gender can have a widely different relationship to anyone. I do think that it can be a bit better to avoid certain idolizations of gender, there are different standards that exist, so not everyone may have it as easy as it can appear. But there is nothing wrong with exploring yourself a little.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2021, 1:46 am

By "become trans", do you mean that you are thinking of "becoming trans" because you admire aspects of being a woman, or that you are wondering if it's possible to not necessarily experience gender dysphoria before but one day just "become trans"/want to be a woman?

Hollywood_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2021, 2:29 pm

More mainly the former. I wouldn't say I am trans, but I do admire some elements of the female gender.

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2021, 4:45 am

It might be that you experience gender euphoria rather than gender dysphoria.

How do you feel about social aspects?

For eg if your mother was to call you her daughter?

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2021, 6:41 am

Also liking women's bodies doesn't make you female.

Take me for eg.

If I could wake up tomorrow in a 'male' body, I'd take it. Or if I had control over my medical stuff, I'd be taking steps in that direction.

But DD boobs are still sexy af to me.

Just not on me.

For a cis het guy that last two sentences would be a pretty common experience.

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2021, 11:11 am

It's hard to say whether this sort of thing is 'becoming' trans or realizing that one had been trans all along.

People's relationship with their gender identity is not immutable. Feelings change, people gain new perspectives, people explore parts of themselves they hadn't noticed before.

Even if you're doubtful that you're trans, I would still consider it worth exploring. Avoiding such thoughts is unhealthy. You could find that you're not trans at all, which is perfectly fine, but these are questions worth asking regardless.

Δυνατὰ δὲ οἱ προύχοντες πράσσουσι καὶ οἱ ἀσθενεῖς ξυγχωροῦσιν.
Those with power do what their power permits, and the weak can only acquiesce.

- Thucydides

Hollywood_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2021, 10:39 pm

Could a mod lock this thread for me? I abandoned it and don't want to post in it anymore, but it's a more serious topic so I feel I can't leave it just hanging open in the wild. :)

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2021, 8:14 am

I'm genderfluid, which means that my gender identity changes in regular ways over time. If you define trans as your gender identity not matching the gender people would assume based on sex characteristics, then I'm sometimes trans, sometimes cis.