Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2021, 5:03 pm

I found this article interesting. I have never worked in China so I don't know how accurate this information is.

https://www.shiplilly.com/blog/chinese- ... ette-tips/

superluminal23
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Jun 2021, 1:46 am

I've found that it can really help if you can figure out a career where you can be your own boss. Like owning a store or being a freelancer, or something like that. When I worked in an office, my biggest struggle was dealing with my coworkers and my boss. Now that I work for myself, I have a lot more control and I can focus on what needs to get done as opposed to trying to figure out what my boss wants me to do.

Unfortunately not everyone has the option of working for themselves. But if you can swing it, it is a lot less stressful (although certainly scary in other ways)

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2021, 4:32 pm

There is always the option of selling things on e-bay to make money.
If you can read there are websites and books on how to do that well.
Even youtube videos.

Kendo1980
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Jun 2021, 7:55 am

asd2021 wrote:
I want to know do autism/asperger in the western world have jobs ? Or how do we make money to survive ? Does your country provide special jobs for autism/asperger? Thank you for sharing this!

Brief self-introduction(my English not good) :
I'm Chinese(live in China now),male,31-year-old,bachelor's degree. I started working from 22 to 30 and my work experience is bad.I have changed serveral companies but all of my leaders and workmates don't like me and want me to resign.One of my leader told me "Why don't you usually talk? I think you have communication difficulties".I had no idea what he was talking about. Finally I stopped working since 2019.12 and just stay at home because I was diagnosed with depression at Beijing. Then I heard about autism by chance, so I went to hospital, the doctor's result is "Communication disorder". Then I check the information about autism/asperger on the Internet every day. I felt so desperate even I didn't even want to live sometimes.I have to thank the doctor who discovered autism, otherwise I still don't know what happened to me.

I think side jobian. Never been real good at the interaction required of job jobs... I guess that I just don't get it.

I did move quite a bit but I'm settling down if I can. We'll see.

ronglxy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Jul 2021, 8:14 pm

I reacted to your question as a collective one of "What should/could we collectively do."

I'm only recently aware of my being AS, and still trying to understand what all it is, and I am. So I may not relate well to AS issues.

By pure accident, I "ended up" engineering educated and employed in a jumble of jobs, which I did automayically "my way" but was likely "only" AS intense focused pattern systemizing and synthesizing, to use some WP terms descriptions but adding "my spin's" synthesis experience.

So in AS mode, What should/could we of AS styles collectively do for and with ourselves?

I died a thousand deaths every day doing achingly solo what I'm finding is abundantly blase common in WP. So does this make any sense to you all that know "these ropes" way betyer than I do?

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2021, 4:40 pm

Anybody view the recent CBS '60 Minutes' segment 'Talent on the Spectrum' - originally aired in October 2020, and aired again in July, 2021?

The segment discussed 'AutonomyWorks'(LINK) - an agency that assists adults in finding work opportunities leveraging the unique talents of people on the Autism Spectrum.

Discussion focused on one of many examples of work known as 'data annotation' - that is fact-checking advertisement content. Much of this work can be conducted from home, or remotely.

Is 'AutonomyWorks' receptive in advising non-clients to locate specific 'data annotation' jobs?

Can 'AutonomyWorks' act as a trusted resource; as many leads for 'data annotation' jobs are too often questionable in reputation at best?

LINK: www.autonomy.works

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2021, 9:07 am

JustFoundHere wrote:
Anybody view the recent CBS '60 Minutes' segment 'Talent on the Spectrum' - originally aired in October 2020, and aired again in July, 2021?

The segment discussed 'AutonomyWorks'(LINK) - an agency that assists adults in finding work opportunities leveraging the unique talents of people on the Autism Spectrum.

Discussion focused on one of many examples of work known as 'data annotation' - that is fact-checking advertisement content. Much of this work can be conducted from home, or remotely.

Is 'AutonomyWorks' receptive in advising non-clients to locate specific 'data annotation' jobs?

Can 'AutonomyWorks' act as a trusted resource; as many leads for 'data annotation' jobs are too often questionable in reputation at best?

LINK: http://www.autonomy.works

I saw the repeat, overall a positive report but unfortunately again propagating the autistic STEM skill stereotype. Companies similar to this will open up previously closed opportunities for certain types of autistic people. Sometimes stereotypes are partially based on truth. Skills needed to work at STEM companies are probably more common among autistics then the general population but they are far from universal. STEM challenged autistics could use autism friendly interviews and working conditions also.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2021, 12:14 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
JustFoundHere wrote:

LINK: http://www.autonomy.works

I saw the repeat, overall a positive report but unfortunately again propagating the autistic STEM skill stereotype. Companies similar to this will open up previously closed opportunities for certain types of autistic people. Sometimes stereotypes are partially based on truth. Skills needed to work at STEM companies are probably more common among autistics then the general population but they are far from universal. STEM challenged autistics could use autism friendly interviews and working conditions also.

The 60 Minutes story introduced one of many, many examples of 'data annotation' jobs offered to 'AutonomyWorks' clients (fact-checking advertising content is one small example of data-editing, data annotation, etc. etc.) .

In accordance to WP discussion thread 'What job Should We Do?' - anybody experienced with 'Data Annotation' (LINK) work?

Can 'AutonomyWorks' serve as a trustworthy resource in advising non-clients who request guidance in locating 'data annotation' work opportunities?

LINK: https://appen.com/blog/data-annotation/ ... mentations.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2021, 1:53 pm

Anybody aware of 'Data Annotation' work opportunities?
Data Annotation - What is it? https://appen.com/blog/data-annotation/

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2021, 4:23 pm

JustFoundHere wrote:

ADDENDUM:

Two references of stories discussing initiatives in hiring people on the Autism Spectrum to do data work.

* RELATED: There may be initiatives to enlist volunteers to do data work - non-profits are receptive to volunteer efforts. Might some of these non-profits be involved in boosting awareness of the Autism Spectrum??

These Companies Claim to Provide “Fair-Trade” Data Work. Do They?:
https://www.technologyreview.com/2019/0 ... nnotation/

Israeli Startup Gives Autistic Workers an Opportunity:
https://en.globes.co.il/en/article-isra ... 1001319578

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2021, 3:58 pm

I don't want to work
I just want to bang on the drum all day
I don't want to play
I just want to bang on the drum all day
(um that's not, like, a double entendre is it?)
Should be doing my job but I just want to bang on WrongPlanet forums all day.
Over and out.
(Is "internet researcher" like a real job)?
What about getting a Masters in Library Science then spending the rest of my life in a Library?
(I probably would end up working with people I couldn't stand and no way to every leave)

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2021, 6:36 pm

if only i had joined a famous Rock / Roll band ....so i could bang on my drum all day... :D

where ever you go ,there you are

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2021, 7:07 pm

JustFoundHere wrote:
JustFoundHere wrote:

ADDENDUM:

Two references of stories discussing initiatives in hiring people on the Autism Spectrum to do data work.

* RELATED: There may be initiatives to enlist volunteers to do data work - non-profits are receptive to volunteer efforts. Might some of these non-profits be involved in boosting awareness of the Autism Spectrum??

These Companies Claim to Provide “Fair-Trade” Data Work. Do They?:
https://www.technologyreview.com/2019/0 ... nnotation/

Israeli Startup Gives Autistic Workers an Opportunity:
https://en.globes.co.il/en/article-isra ... 1001319578

Please refocus on the main purpose of this thread!