Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Jun 2018
Age: 72
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,832
Location: Indiana

21 Jan 2021, 9:29 pm

Congratulations.


_________________
Author of Practical Preparations for a Coronavirus Pandemic.
A very unique plan. As Dr. Paul Thompson wrote, "This is the very best paper on the virus I have ever seen."


QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Oct 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,341
Location: Midwest

23 Jan 2021, 12:17 pm

Congratulations on passing! Did your committee make you sit outside the room for a period of time after they questioned you? That is part of their hazing ritual to make you nervous about whether or not you passed. Corrections on the written document is a minor inconvenience in the whole process. Again, good job!



IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Nov 2017
Gender: Female
Posts: 37,686

23 Jan 2021, 12:27 pm

Wonderful news, Fey!! !!

I hope you take time to decompress and celebrate!! !!

WOOT!!

Image



Feyokien
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 16 Dec 2014
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,290
Location: The Northern Waste

23 Jan 2021, 3:24 pm

QuantumChemist wrote:
Congratulations on passing! Did your committee make you sit outside the room for a period of time after they questioned you? That is part of their hazing ritual to make you nervous about whether or not you passed. Corrections on the written document is a minor inconvenience in the whole process. Again, good job!


Yes they did for about 15 minutes. I was pacing around a table the whole time.

I finished the corrections, proceeding with the submittal soon...



madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 20 Nov 2016
Age: 48
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,678
Location: Jersey UK

23 Jan 2021, 3:42 pm

awesome!
then you can finally let your hair down and relax. Have a few too many beers and celebrate (if you drink alcohol that is).
Good for you!

Real accomplishment. All those years of hard work, done and dusted.
And finally escape from a school like environment! awesome!

I wish you luck in finding employment in the area that you most desire!



QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Oct 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,341
Location: Midwest

25 Jan 2021, 10:41 am

Feyokien wrote:
QuantumChemist wrote:
Congratulations on passing! Did your committee make you sit outside the room for a period of time after they questioned you? That is part of their hazing ritual to make you nervous about whether or not you passed. Corrections on the written document is a minor inconvenience in the whole process. Again, good job!


Yes they did for about 15 minutes. I was pacing around a table the whole time.

I finished the corrections, proceeding with the submittal soon...


A former committee member confided in me that they know whether or not you passed in about a minute or two. The rest of the time is spent BSing at you expense. Some of them enjoy seeing graduate students fret on the defense part. They made me wait outside about 45 minutes on my defense. Good to hear that you got you corrections part done. That is a giant pain to do. Do you still have to print out copies for binding as well as supply electronic copies now?



Feyokien
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 16 Dec 2014
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,290
Location: The Northern Waste

26 Jan 2021, 11:08 am

QuantumChemist wrote:
Feyokien wrote:
QuantumChemist wrote:
Congratulations on passing! Did your committee make you sit outside the room for a period of time after they questioned you? That is part of their hazing ritual to make you nervous about whether or not you passed. Corrections on the written document is a minor inconvenience in the whole process. Again, good job!


Yes they did for about 15 minutes. I was pacing around a table the whole time.

I finished the corrections, proceeding with the submittal soon...


A former committee member confided in me that they know whether or not you passed in about a minute or two. The rest of the time is spent BSing at you expense. Some of them enjoy seeing graduate students fret on the defense part. They made me wait outside about 45 minutes on my defense. Good to hear that you got you corrections part done. That is a giant pain to do. Do you still have to print out copies for binding as well as supply electronic copies now?


I just supplied an electronic copy to ProQuest. I ordered myself a hardcover version though from them. :)



Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Age: 64
Gender: Male
Posts: 48,766
Location: Stendec

26 Jan 2021, 11:18 am

QuantumChemist wrote:
Feyokien wrote:
QuantumChemist wrote:
Congratulations on passing! Did your committee make you sit outside the room for a period of time after they questioned you? That is part of their hazing ritual to make you nervous about whether or not you passed. Corrections on the written document is a minor inconvenience in the whole process. Again, good job!
Yes they did for about 15 minutes. I was pacing around a table the whole time.  I finished the corrections, proceeding with the submittal soon...
A former committee member confided in me that they know whether or not you passed in about a minute or two. The rest of the time is spent BSing at you expense. Some of them enjoy seeing graduate students fret on the defense part. They made me wait outside about 45 minutes on my defense. Good to hear that you got you corrections part done. That is a giant pain to do. Do you still have to print out copies for binding as well as supply electronic copies now?
I rigged the thermostat in the conference room to keep the temperature in the upper 80s on a warm spring day.  The kept me waiting "only" 30 minutes, so I did not really gain much.


_________________
 Link to Official List of Trump's Atrocities 

45OFFICE = TRE45ON
Lock Him Up!


Feyokien
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 16 Dec 2014
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,290
Location: The Northern Waste

28 Jan 2021, 4:31 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I hope you take time to decompress and celebrate!! ! !


I'm trying, but finding what I'm going to be doing next, more importantly what will pay the bills, is stressing me out. :|. I'm glad to say my graduate approval form was just APPROVED, my thesis edits were accepted, so now I am officially just waiting to receive the degree. I'm done. :D

I should be hearing back on the interview I did last Monday sometime early next week. The talent liaison was cryptically optimistic and said the interview went well. I know they're interviewing other people as well.

Another recruiter contacted me through Linkedin yesterday about another job that I now have a phone interview for tomorrow. Adding 'seeking new opportunities' to my profile headline increased interest by 400% according to their metrics.



kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 75,720
Location: Queens, NYC

28 Jan 2021, 6:11 pm

For some reason, I'm sensing you'll be an adjunct instructor somewhere.....or else a research assistant.



IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Nov 2017
Gender: Female
Posts: 37,686

28 Jan 2021, 8:35 pm

Feyokien wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
I hope you take time to decompress and celebrate!! ! !


I'm trying, but finding what I'm going to be doing next, more importantly what will pay the bills, is stressing me out. :|. I'm glad to say my graduate approval form was just APPROVED, my thesis edits were accepted, so now I am officially just waiting to receive the degree. I'm done. :D

I should be hearing back on the interview I did last Monday sometime early next week. The talent liaison was cryptically optimistic and said the interview went well. I know they're interviewing other people as well.

Another recruiter contacted me through Linkedin yesterday about another job that I now have a phone interview for tomorrow. Adding 'seeking new opportunities' to my profile headline increased interest by 400% according to their metrics.



:heart: Wonderful news! It's natural to be anxious about the unknown during transition times. I hope you can focus on your pride and happiness about completion, despite being overwhelmed by everything else. Easier said than done though, I know! Congrats again!



Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 21 Jul 2020
Age: 57
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,425

31 Jan 2021, 12:44 pm

Well, done. And just in time. Glaciology is a shrinking field--no pun intended. ;)

(But a really important one.)