Recommend smaller laptop with almost regular keyboard?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2021, 10:33 am

Post-pandemic I may try writing kindle books sitting in cafes!

So, I don’t need all that much processing. Actually, I’d like a keyboard ever so slightly smaller than standard.

Your suggestions, please. :D

elbowgrease
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2021, 9:11 pm

Refurbished Lenovo thinkpad. Maybe an x220 or an x230 for something small with a good keyboard.
I can't recommend from personal experience yet, although in a couple of weeks, after I get the one I ordered the other day, I'd be able to give you an honest opinion of a comparable model (t430).
They have a great reputation.
If you look at the thinkwiki, you can find quite a bit of information about all of the different models.
You should be able to get one for around $200 US in good working order. You could probably get one for a lot less if you're able to do some work on it yourself (install/upgrade RAM, HDD/SSD, operating system, etc).

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2021, 11:13 am

@elbowgrease , thank you for a very thoughtful and detailed answer :D

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2021, 12:42 pm

I agree with the above poster. I am fond of Thinkpads and the keyboard is easy to use. I have a 13 inch monitor. Mine also weighs only about a pound, and that makes the price quite high, but if you don't care about weight, you can get a refurbished one pretty reasonably.

Battery life for mine is outstanding. I have never run out of charge during even a long workday.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2021, 3:35 pm

I use a GPD Pocket 2. Having purchased several of the company's products, I think not all of them are great, but the GPD Pocket 2 is their best product I've used. It's a small laptop with dimensions 181x113x14mm, 7 inch display, weighing 465g.

elbowgrease
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2021, 8:53 pm

I thought I'd comment here again, since the laptop I ordered got here yesterday and I've spent a little bit of time with it (although not much, so this is just a first impression).
Lenovo thinkpad t430.
Very well made. Keyboard is really comfortable. More comfortable than the one attached to my desktop that I'm typing this with. The trackpoint (red thing in the middle of the keyboard) is a little bit disorienting to use at first, but I could definitely get used to having it and it's an absolutely brilliant idea. I bought one that came with a docking station (which can be bought separately). The docking station is really nice.
It's got a third generation i5, with a socketed cpu, so I can upgrade it to an i7 of the same generation. Laptops with socketed cpu's are not easy to find.
The screen isn't great, but I knew that would be the case before I bought it and it's possible to upgrade it (although the upgrade on the t430 isn't quite as straightforward as some of the other models, apparently, but still not actually that difficult.
The only thing that doesn't make sense to me is that the two ram slots are separated. One is accessible by removing two screws and a small panel on the bottom of the computer, the other requires the removal of the keyboard in order to access it, but the keyboard is designed to be removed easily (which is a HUGE plus compared to some other laptops that require a complete disassembly in order to remove the keyboard, and really aren't meant to be disassembled at all (which means that something will almost definitely get broken during the process)).
It isn't the smallest laptop, but it isn't huge either.
Anyway,
first impression is positive.