Undiagnosed ASD on pathway to diagnosis Help?

Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Shadow1888
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Jan 2021, 10:22 pm

I will try to arrange one but with the situation at the moment it may take some time but i'll try. I have a appointment coming up soon to assess my financial situation related to my condition, the DWP. As i am diagnosed with BPD i'm gonna have to stick with it until i can get a test as they may stop my disability allowence. So i'm not quite sure what i'm gonna do cause it ain't like i can get diagnosed for autism within 2 weeks.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2021, 10:28 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
If you have the ups and down often throughout the day it is unlikely that it is bipolar, so you could do with going for an autism assessment.

Just to clarify MG, Borderline (BPD) is not the same condition as Bipolar Disorder (BD).

Shadow 1888, yes it's entirely possible that you have both BPD and ASD, but of course you will need a licensed professional to make the additional diagnosis.

Good luck!

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2021, 10:34 pm

Ooh. What is the difference between BPD and BP? I am learning more things!

Shadow1888
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Jan 2021, 10:37 pm

Thats maybe why i have struggled to get a diagnosis cause i have both, my wife says i could have both. But i'll get on it and fingers crossed. Funny thing is i have been missdiagnosed a lot as firstly when i was a child it was me just acting up as most people presume and it got put down as depression as i did suffer from that but there were signs from an early age as i have a sister who just got diagnosed with ADHD and i also got diagnosed for psychosis when i was 17. So i am confused at this point.

Shadow1888
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Jan 2021, 10:41 pm

BPD AND BP DIFFERENCES
Quality: While the disorders are both characterized by mood changes, the quality of the mood changes can be very different. People with bipolar disorder tend to experience mania and depression while people with BPD experience intense emotional pain and feelings of emptiness, desperation, anger, hopelessness, and loneliness.
Time: In BPD, mood changes are often more short-lived. They may last for only a few hours at a time. In contrast, mood changes in bipolar disorder tend to last for days or even weeks.
Cause: Mood shifts in BPD are usually in reaction to an environmental stressor, such as an argument with a loved one, whereas mood shifts in bipolar disorder may occur out-of-the-blue.
Degree: The mood shifts typical of BPD rarely involve elation. Usually, the shift is from feeling upset to feeling OK, not from feeling bad to feeling a high or elevated mood, which is more typical of bipolar disorder.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2021, 10:43 pm

Shadow1888 wrote:
BPD AND BP DIFFERENCES
Quality: While the disorders are both characterized by mood changes, the quality of the mood changes can be very different. People with bipolar disorder tend to experience mania and depression while people with BPD experience intense emotional pain and feelings of emptiness, desperation, anger, hopelessness, and loneliness.
Time: In BPD, mood changes are often more short-lived. They may last for only a few hours at a time. In contrast, mood changes in bipolar disorder tend to last for days or even weeks.
Cause: Mood shifts in BPD are usually in reaction to an environmental stressor, such as an argument with a loved one, whereas mood shifts in bipolar disorder may occur out-of-the-blue.
Degree: The mood shifts typical of BPD rarely involve elation. Usually, the shift is from feeling upset to feeling OK, not from feeling bad to feeling a high or elevated mood, which is more typical of bipolar disorder.

I am "Trying" to make my mind understand this. Haha. Uhmmm...

Shadow1888
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Jan 2021, 9:54 am

@double retired i finished the test you suggested.
Your score was 42 out of a possible 50.
Scores in the 33-50 range indicate significant Autistic traits (Autism).
@IsabellaLinton I just need to do the aspie-quiz you suggested which has a lot more in depth questions. Like i said i did do another test awhile back and got a high score.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2021, 10:36 am

Shadow1888 wrote:
@double retired i finished the test you suggested.
Your score was 42 out of a possible 50...
I got a 40 in March 2019. Then the real "fun" began. In May I contacted my medical insurance provider and they gave me incorrect information. They said I needed a psychologist with an ABA certification. WRONG!! I chased that useless path until August 2019 when someone gave me the correct information: I just needed a psychologist to do the assessment, the ABA certification was associated with treatment.

I mention that because I did not want treatment. I was 64 years old (at that time) and happily retired. The only change I wanted was to find out why I felt separate from everyone else. (Hmmm...I sort of felt like I was unknowingly stranded on the Wrong Planet!)

In September 2019 I found a psychologist to assess me and I was assessed in October. My diagnosis was: Autism Spectrum Disorder, Level 1 (Mild) along with observations that I also had qualities of High Functioning Autism and what was previously known as Asperger's Syndrome. The confusion on what label to give me began in 2013 when the APA published DSM-5 which changed the terminology. The official nomenclature used in your area may differ, depending upon whether or not they use DSM-5.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2021, 12:36 am

Welcome to WP! :D