Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2021, 10:11 pm

So, through circumstances I have to do research on VR and narrative. But knowing about cool visual effects doesn't hurt either.

So I bought a headset, played Half Life Alyx, watched the Google Spotlight stuff and some Oculus Studio things and now I'm not sure what to do next.

I'm not much of a gamer, and am trying to avoid things with guns or puzzles, because I find those somewhat annoying, really.

Does anyone have a recommendations for narrative driven things? Or at least some japanese weirdness?
I feel there must be someone doing weird things out there, but google keeps coming up with the same few games that don't look awfully weird to me...

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2021, 7:10 am

I own about 90 VR games, but few of the variety you're looking for. The Gallery is an episodic adventure game with some light puzzles, but is mostly narrative driven. It has the feeling of an 80s adventure film. A Chair in a Room is a similar type of game, but with more focus on creating an atmosphere of fear, with creepy environments, sound effects and set pieces.

As for Japanese games, I only own a couple of music rhythm games. Rez Infinite might've been considered weird at the time of its release, but by now it's been ported about as much as Skyrim. It's not very technically impressive either, other than the additional content which is a fairly meagre offering. Airtone is great fun though. It's a music rhythm game with some underlying narrative about trying to revive things through the power of music, as you fly amongst pulsing neon landscapes alongside flying whales. Obviously, these two games are much more gameplay focused, but might be interesting to you in terms of their visuals; Rez goes for a more trippy, dreamlike aesthetic, whereas Airtone has a vibrant, Katamari Damacy-like strangeness.

There's also Tokyo Chronos, a visual novel which I had some interest in but never got myself. Its releases are fragmented with the sequels being exclusive to Facebook. It might be of interest to you, but I can't attest to its quality.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2021, 7:41 pm

Thanks! Gallery of the Starseed looks cool, and I'll check out the others, too.

You seem to have been around VR fir while, then, I'm guessing?
Is my impression correct that so far, it hasn't been the revolution in gaming it was prematurely hailed to be? - I have the impression, the types of games available are basically the same as in non-VR, except now reloading a gun is more challenging than shooting an enemy...

By accident I ended up as a designer/animator for some VR-Videos (stereo 360, I mean) and am supposed to design a platform for a theater - the eoman there pkayed 'the Under presents' and now wants something like that. So I'm now doing research on cool things I can maybe steal...