I do not own a fitness tracker and I want one. 10%  10%  [ 2 ]
I do not own a fitness tracker and I do not care. 14%  14%  [ 3 ]
I do not own a fitness tracker and I do not want one. 38%  38%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 21

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2021, 2:52 pm

Do you own a fitness tracker?  I do -- a Fitbit Charge 2 that I have had for years, ever since my last heart attack.  It keeps good time, and the pulse-rate display is accurate.  There is an app that syncs up and records my daily progress -- how many steps I have taken, how many calories I have burned, and so forth.  I wear it all day and overnight, and I recharge it while I am in the shower.  What experiences have you had with your fitness tracker?

Please participate in the attached poll.  You may select only one option, and you may change your selection at any time.  Thank you.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2021, 12:27 am

Yes, I have one that I use. I need it to constantly watch my blood pressure and blood oxygen levels. My oxygen levels were in the high 70% when I got admitted into the hospital last year for pneumonia issues (non-coved related). Unfortunately, I also have to take medicine for my high blood pressure now. It was pushing above 200 (stroke risk) at times, but now is almost to normal levels with meds and exercise.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2021, 12:41 am

I got a Garmin fitness tracker fairly recently (don’t remember which model, but my brother works at Garmin, so he could get it for me for a discount), mostly to keep track of my heart rate since it’s been doing funny things since I had chemo. I’ve been getting a bit of an itchy rash under the band if I forget to wipe it with an alcohol wipe for just one day (has to be every day no exceptions to prevent that), and then I leave the watch off until that goes away. I don’t know why that is, I don’t sweat much and have tried loosening the band a little to no avail. I tried my mom’s identical one for a week or so beforehand to see how helpful it would be, and I didn’t have this problem.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2021, 12:44 am

I don't have a fitness tracker. I have a blood pressure / pulse monitor and a pulse-oximeter because I've had strokes.

I eat well and get enough exercise. I'm not interested in wearing something, or carrying anything around.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2021, 9:32 am

My pulse-oximeter is tethered to the treadmill handlebar.

The fitness tracker is worn like any other wristwatch.  It took a while to get used to the sensation, but the benefits seem to outweigh the drawbacks, all of which are minor (i.e., it has to be snug, it switches on the display whenever I rotate my wrist, it lacks a "masculine" appearance, et cetera).

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2021, 9:43 am

I should never be allowed to own a fitness tracker. I have OCD (it is under control atm) and while I'm not diagnosed with an eating and/or exercise related disorder, I do engage in disordered eating and am prone to going overboard with exercise sometimes. I think a fitness tracker would send me off down a destructive path with my food intake and exercise output, so I refuse to get one. Self care.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2021, 10:08 am

FleaOfTheChill wrote:
I should never be allowed to own a fitness tracker. I have OCD ...
Then I would guess that fitness trackers are not for everybody.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2021, 11:51 pm

I don't have a fitness tracker, but I play a game on my phone called 'Burn Your Fat With Me' in which you do exercise sets to earn points to advance the story. It does track calories burned and reps/sets done over time.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2021, 5:30 pm

My mom has a Fitbit she has been letting me use to measure and keep track of my pulse. It's really useful for that. I hate how wearing it feels though.

guitarman2010
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2021, 8:08 pm

I have always had a love for fitness trackers! I currently own an Amazfit Bip watch and a Samsung Galaxy Watch Active.

TenMinutes
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2021, 2:11 am

I own a fitbit and I stopped using it when they started advertising in the app.

TenMinutes
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2021, 4:16 pm

TenMinutes wrote:

I had to change my answer, because I now own a heart rate monitor (Polar OH1+) that works with the GPS in my phone to give me very sophisticated feedback on my workouts and walks, so I guess that counts as a fitness tracker.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2021, 4:21 pm

TenMinutes wrote:
I re-installed the app from before ads were included.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2021, 9:50 am

I have a Fitbit Sense.

I might switch to Garmin, eventually.