What are some documentaries you have watched recently?

Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2021, 8:23 pm

Regardless if you like watching documentaries or not, what are some you have watched?

Rajneeshpuram (hopefully I spelled it right)

An excellent documentary about people who were followers of an Indian master named Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh and set up camp in the worst of all places; Central Oregon in the early 1980s. Their shared intention was to build a community for all, but everything went wrong when followers began clashing with locals.

Go to the OPB (Oregon Public Broadcasting) website and you will find it.

Well worth a watch.

Kerch
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2021, 11:43 am

I don't watch many documentaries at all, but recently I saw Metallica: Some Kind Of Monster.

It's obviously about the band, Metallica, trying to record a new album in the early 2000s. With a drummer alienating their fanbase by trying to shut down illegal downloads, a singer in rehab and a bassist that just left altogether it starts off rather difficult. The film details the band's power struggles, therapy sessions and notably the hiring of their current bassist. There's plenty of drama and the album that resulted from it is controversial to say the least.

It's a very interesting watch, better if you have some prior knowledge of the band and it's history. There's lots of funny parts too, and the extra material that didn't make it into the final film (much of which can be found on youtube) is absolute gold sometimes.

NaturalEntity
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2021, 12:02 pm

Me and my family are watching an episode of David Attenborough's A Perfect Planet every Sunday. It's really good and has shown me just how diverse our environment is, how perfect the conditions for life are, and why we need to protect the planet.

simonthesly74
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Feb 2021, 9:12 am

NaturalEntity wrote:
Me and my family are watching an episode of David Attenborough's A Perfect Planet every Sunday. It's really good and has shown me just how diverse our environment is, how perfect the conditions for life are, and why we need to protect the planet.

Ayyyyy I’ve been doing the exact same thing with my mom!

NaturalEntity
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2021, 3:29 pm

simonthesly74 wrote:
NaturalEntity wrote:

Ayyyyy I’ve been doing the exact same thing with my mom!

Oh nice! I haven't watched the one about how bad humanity's influence is because I know that would make me cry. I have high empathy.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2021, 10:08 pm

Charles Bukowski: Born Into This -

Documentary about the late Charles Bukowski, poet, novelist, and short story writer who celebrated the world of skid row he had lived in for so long, with all it's substance abuse and mental illness, and somehow could make it funny. A mean alcoholic and womanizing misogynist, it's still almost impossible to hate the guy, even in these politically correct times.

William S. Burroughs: A Man Within -

Beat author and artist, the life and art of the late William Burroughs is reflected on, including his heroin addiction, his homosexuality which he had been open about at a time when it was illegal in America, how he had fallen in love with a woman and had a child with her - only to kill her in a stupid game of William Tell. His relationship with his troubled son, Billy Burroughs, is examined, as is his unexpected influence on Punk Rock music (without Burroughs, we wouldn't have the names Steely Dan, or even the name Blade Runner). Narrated by Peter Weller, he had played the Burroughs inspired character, William Lee, in the movie, Naked Lunch, based (very loosely) on Burroughs' book, Naked Lunch.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2021, 12:00 pm

I haven't watched an awful lot of anything really, lately, but I do know the next documentary I'll be watching:

Can't get you out of my head, by Adam Curtis, to be released on feb. 11

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2021, 7:47 pm

shlaifu wrote:
I haven't watched an awful lot of anything really, lately, but I do know the next documentary I'll be watching:

Have you watched it yet?

LogLady
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Feb 2021, 4:00 pm

shlaifu wrote:

I have been watching it this week. It's very good. It has inspired me a lot creatively.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2021, 10:24 pm

LogLady wrote:
shlaifu wrote:

I have been watching it this week. It's very good. It has inspired me a lot creatively.

Sounds interesting. I may watch this too.

LogLady
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Feb 2021, 12:47 am

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
LogLady wrote:
shlaifu wrote:

Sounds interesting. I may watch this too.

It has six parts so it is a bit of a time investment, but I think you will know by the time you are done with the first part whether or not you'd like to continue with it.

binstein
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Feb 2021, 6:26 pm

Challenger: The Final Flight

NaturalEntity
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2021, 3:09 pm

Hoping to start watching Attenborough's Life in Colour on Sunday, it's about colour in nature

Spunge42
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Feb 2021, 11:34 pm

Dogs with Jobs. It's a show, it's on Amazon. Watched it with my family. It was really awesome, some of the stories are fun, some awe inspiring, and some will make you cry (in a good way...mostly).

"I sat with my anger long enough, until she told me her real name was grief."

Fixxer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2021, 4:25 pm

Thrive : What on Earth will it Take
The Plandemic II - Indoctornation
Gates from Hell ~ Like you Never Knew Him Before
Hold-Up

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran