Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Pricelessppp1
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Jan 2021, 4:52 pm

I finished watching some of the exclusives on Netflix & Disney plus. And am looking for any good TV series worth watching. Any recommendations?

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2021, 7:43 pm

Probably worth mentioning what shows you have seen, and maybe what you like.

For me, I like some animation. I just watched The Owl House on Disney+, liked it a lot. And some animated series I really liked on Netflix were She-Ra and the Princesses of Power and Kipo and the Age of the Wonderbeasts. I think that they are good in how they can be enjoyed by both kids and adults.

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2021, 9:41 pm

Bojack Horseman and Avatar the Last Airbender are on Netflix. There are others I watch, but most of them have a strong dislike following that they are considered guilty pleasures to me at best. I don't know if I could recommend any of them.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

MidnightRose
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Feb 2021, 2:53 am

Babylon Berlin is absolutely incredible. The second season has one of my favorite episodes of television. It's a period drama based on the Gereon Rath mystery books by Volker Kutscher. I would say the show easily surpasses the source material. It's set in 1929 Berlin and concerns the investigation of a political conspiracy connected to a train that has recently arrived in Berlin. The protagonist Gereon is on the surface the straight laced detective who only cares about solving the case, but he is also haunted by trauma from the first world war and has his own agenda inside the police department. The deuteragonist Charlotte is on the surface the cliche "prostitute with a heart of gold" character, but she is portrayed with genuine wit, grit, and charm to make a great underdog hero when she gets caught up in the investigation.

The show has great music and production values, being the highest budgeted foreign language show (it's German) and the team behind it is really skilled. There are certain images that are really striking and distinct and the performances are universally awesome. The show does a great job of making the time period feel alive, it feels like you are in 20s Berlin and the show deftly mixes actual history and politics with an elaborate thriller plot. Fair warning, the show is pretty violent and there's quite a lot of explicit sexual content and drug use. But it's just kind of a reflection of how Berlin was at the time. And if you're not hooked by episode 2 quit while you're ahead.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2021, 5:51 am

Last Of The Summer Wine.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2021, 6:15 am

I've been watching Everything's Gonna Be Okay which is a US comedy. It struck me as a very unusual show but I loved it. One of the lead characters is autistic (played by an autistic actress) and it seemed to me to be one of the most sympathetic/accurate portrayals of high-functioning autism I've seem on television. The lead character is played by an Australian called Josh Thomas (also writer and director) who is, I would say, an acquired taste but once you get where the comedy is coming from I think he's really funny.

The show is definitely not for anyone who is repelled by depictions of homosexuality or maybe feels that shows with racial and sexual diversity are pushing some sort of agenda.

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2021, 1:57 pm

I just started watching "What We Do in the Shadows" About a houseful of vampires having a documentary made of their lives. I'm not sure if I like actually the series yet or if I just like the comically ironic premise for the series.

MidnightRose
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Feb 2021, 10:22 pm

What we do in the Shadows is good, though I think the movie the show was based on was better overall. The best part of the show is Matt Berry (Laszlo in the show). He was great in the IT Crowd and Darkplace as well, really an underrated scenery chewer.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2021, 10:26 pm

Gomer Pyle USMC, which was a popular spin-off of The Andy Griffith Show. :lol:

As for newer ones, FBI and its spin-off FBI: Most Wanted.

The NCIS shows are great as is the Magnum PI reboot.

Diamondisis
Toucan
Toucan

04 Sep 2021, 12:27 am

Yes. Scream

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2021, 12:45 am

Simpsons, Family Guy, South Park, American Dad, Rick and Morty, Bob’s Burgers, anything on Adult Swim.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2021, 3:29 am

Better call Saul. You can watch it without having seen Breaking Bad even though it's a prequel. Personally I think BCS is the better of the two.

It's about a lawyer who is a bit of a scummy guy, but the running thread is, will he turn out for the better or not?

If you've seen Breaking Bad you know the answer, but if you haven't, like I hadn't on my first watch through, it's a rollercoaster of emotions.

If that's a bit heavy my comfort TV is Star Trek The Next Generation. The first 2 seasons are bad low budget tv, start at Season 3.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2021, 4:13 am

White Lotus is good as well

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2021, 6:08 am

Dexter.
Californication.
What We Do In The Shadows.
Godfather Of Harlem.
Rome.
Domina.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2021, 6:09 am

Mr Reynholm wrote:
I just started watching "What We Do in the Shadows" About a houseful of vampires having a documentary made of their lives. I'm not sure if I like actually the series yet or if I just like the comically ironic premise for the series.

Perhaps the only thing we will ever agree on, my friend! :thumleft:

King0fSpades
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2021, 8:57 am

Ever watch The Golden Girls on Hulu? It's an old show but very funny. :heart:

♤ The Military