Does the average person know what Asperger’s syndrome is?

Page 3 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 May 2016
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,221
Location: Virginia  Interests: fabrication  Music: synthwave

04 Feb 2021, 8:32 pm

What's your interest in the average person anyway?
At what point does it become a factor?



Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Jul 2020
Age: 66
Gender: Male
Posts: 813
Location: U.S.A.

04 Feb 2021, 8:47 pm

r00tb33r wrote:
What's your interest in the average person anyway?
At what point does it become a factor?
Well. There are an awful lot of them. :chin:


_________________
When diagnosed I bought champagne!
I finally knew why people were strange.


Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 21 Jul 2020
Age: 57
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,270

04 Feb 2021, 8:48 pm

Double Retired wrote:
r00tb33r wrote:
What's your interest in the average person anyway?
At what point does it become a factor?
Well. There are an awful lot of them. :chin:


But only statistically...



Rexi
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 3 Sep 2017
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,119
Location: Transylvania, Pyromania

05 Feb 2021, 1:19 am

Double Retired wrote:
Should covert Aspies be more open about their status--to possibly educate NTs that Asperger's Syndrome might not be exactly what they think it is?

Ive been doing that but you also don't have to overt yourself, just a topic. Most people listen, some don't and go on acting smart.


_________________
Sekky
Atheist
:cat: :cat:


JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 13 Jan 2018
Age: 57
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,292
Location: California

05 Feb 2021, 7:08 pm

Double Retired wrote:
Should covert Aspies be more open about their status--to possibly educate NTs that Asperger's Syndrome might not be exactly what they think it is?


As mentioned in my previous post - developing friendships with thoughtful NTs concerned with HFA would "break the ice" and subsequently boost efforts to educate NTs not experienced with HFA - as well as provide beneficial experiences for all concerned!!



y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 16 Apr 2010
Age: 48
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,371
Location: Canada

07 Feb 2021, 10:36 am

I don't think the average people know much about it at all. Upon the diagnosis of my two kids, my mom looked up a dictionary and concluded that they have "self-closure" and just need to talk more and socialize. :? My in-laws, bless their hearts, borrowed a book on Asperger's and read it. I think that's the most they would do already, when it's their grandsons. Why would an average person know about Asperger's if nobody close to them have it? If I don't know about some disease that nobody in my family have, I certainly wouldn't call myself ignorant.


_________________
AQ score: 44
Aspie mom to two autistic sons (19 & 17 )


Rexi
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 3 Sep 2017
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,119
Location: Transylvania, Pyromania

07 Feb 2021, 9:19 pm

y-pod wrote:
I don't think the average people know much about it at all. Upon the diagnosis of my two kids, my mom looked up a dictionary and concluded that they have "self-closure" and just need to talk more and socialize. :? My in-laws, bless their hearts, borrowed a book on Asperger's and read it. I think that's the most they would do already, when it's their grandsons. Why would an average person know about Asperger's if nobody close to them have it? If I don't know about some disease that nobody in my family have, I certainly wouldn't call myself ignorant.

Wow, the definition doesn't do us justice. We need to change that.


_________________
Sekky
Atheist
:cat: :cat:


League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 25,772
Location: Pacific Northwest

07 Feb 2021, 9:27 pm

I know more people have heard of autism than AS and if they don't know what it is, say it is a forum of autism. Lot of people don't even understand what autism is even if they have heard of it because they only know stereotypes about it or misinformation.


_________________
Son: Diagnosed w/anxiety and ADHD. Also academic delayed.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.