The Unspoken Epidemic of Violence in Indigenous Communities

Page 3 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2021, 6:04 pm

Jiheisho wrote:

You do realise your link is to a 'blog', right?
No links provided in it.
I don't automatically believe everything/k that is written in a blog.

Australia doesn't have the violence, as a result of inter-racial tension, that America does.
That is self-evident.

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2021, 6:42 pm

Pepe wrote:
Jiheisho wrote:

No links provided in it.

Australia doesn't have the violence, as a result of inter-racial tension, that America does.
That is self-evident.

If you can post a video from a right-wing policy organization, why can't I post from a blog?

OK, you win, our racism problem is terrible (although I am not sure you can show that so definitively without cherry picking).

But what is your point? Are you justifying the racism in Australia? Are you saying it is not a problem because conditions in another country are "worse"?

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2021, 8:54 pm

Jiheisho wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Jiheisho wrote:

No links provided in it.

That is self-evident.

If you can post a video from a right-wing policy organization, why can't I post from a blog?

OK, you win, our racism problem is terrible (although I am not sure you can show that so definitively without cherry picking).

But what is your point? Are you justifying the racism in Australia? Are you saying it is not a problem because conditions in another country are "worse"?

No and no.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2021, 4:15 am

Andrew Bolt has a vendetta against the ABC after he was successfully sued by the courts under the racial discrimination act.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-09-28/ ... 25918?nw=0
Sounds like sour grapes to me.

BTW Bolt isn't a friend of autistic people so I am not sure why you keep listening to him Pepe?
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2019/ ... -disgusted

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

09 Feb 2021, 4:29 am

Pepe wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
Fnord wrote:
The video explains a lot about Australia and the people who live there.
Given the video was a discussion about our indigenous people and problems they face in their traditional communities, that does come across as a rather racist sentiment...
To say that the situations described in the video have nothing to do with the non-indigenous people is extremely racist.  Violence does not distinguish between whites and indigenous peoples.

Fnord, you have a history of creating straw men arguments.
Presumably, it is unintentional.

If you are saying Brictoria is denying that the plight of the Aboriginal community has been largely the result of white colonisation, please validate your claim.
I think you are misrepresenting Brictoria.

Quote:
Violence does not distinguish between whites and indigenous peoples.

This makes no logical sense to me.
The discussion involves social problems in the Aboriginal community.

Are you denying the experiences of Jacinta Price, an Aboriginal woman?
Are you in a position to understand the situation better than someone who has literally grown up in the Aboriginal culture?
Are you calling Jacinta Price a liar?

I believe you misinterpret each other.

Fnord's point appears to be: domestic violence is not limited to Aboriginal communities.

Viewing Aboriginal communities (in that respect - any communities other than your own) mainly by lens of their problems and shortcomings is racist - especially when denying or ignoring the history of external influence that led to these problems. Multi-generational trauma is a real thing and it can affect whole communities - my own family and nation struggle with them, too.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2021, 9:42 am

magz wrote:
... Fnord's point appears to be: domestic violence is not limited to Aboriginal communities.  Viewing Aboriginal communities (in that respect -- any communities other than your own) mainly by lens of their problems and shortcomings is racist -- especially when denying or ignoring the history of external influence that led to these problems.  Multi-generational trauma is a real thing and it can affect whole communities -- my own family and nation struggle with them, too.
THIS.

To say or imply that violence experienced by one race at the hands of another is is the victims' responsibility is not only a racist statement in itself, but it is also a form of victim-blaming.  Just as there are at least two side to every conflict, so too are there at least two sides every act of racism -- the victim's and the racist's, at least -- but they are all involved.

It is not only the responsibility of the indigenous peoples; it is also the fault of the larger society in which those indigenous peoples reside.

So while America's social environment may do little to stop violence against and within its various racial cultures, so too does Australia's social environment fail to prevent violence against its own indigenous peoples and within those indigenous cultures.

Australians can no longer pretend to be "perfect" or even better than Americans in this regard.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2021, 5:02 pm

magz wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
Fnord wrote:
The video explains a lot about Australia and the people who live there.
Given the video was a discussion about our indigenous people and problems they face in their traditional communities, that does come across as a rather racist sentiment...
To say that the situations described in the video have nothing to do with the non-indigenous people is extremely racist.  Violence does not distinguish between whites and indigenous peoples.

Fnord, you have a history of creating straw men arguments.
Presumably, it is unintentional.

If you are saying Brictoria is denying that the plight of the Aboriginal community has been largely the result of white colonisation, please validate your claim.
I think you are misrepresenting Brictoria.

Quote:
Violence does not distinguish between whites and indigenous peoples.

This makes no logical sense to me.
The discussion involves social problems in the Aboriginal community.

Are you denying the experiences of Jacinta Price, an Aboriginal woman?
Are you in a position to understand the situation better than someone who has literally grown up in the Aboriginal culture?
Are you calling Jacinta Price a liar?

I believe you misinterpret each other.

Fnord's point appears to be: domestic violence is not limited to Aboriginal communities.

Viewing Aboriginal communities (in that respect - any communities other than your own) mainly by lens of their problems and shortcomings is racist - especially when denying or ignoring the history of external influence that led to these problems. Multi-generational trauma is a real thing and it can affect whole communities - my own family and nation struggle with them, too.

The context is an Aboriginal woman talking about cultural issues.
I'd rather the discussion remains on topic.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2021, 5:23 pm

Off Topic
Fnord wrote:
magz wrote:
... Fnord's point appears to be: domestic violence is not limited to Aboriginal communities.  Viewing Aboriginal communities (in that respect -- any communities other than your own) mainly by lens of their problems and shortcomings is racist -- especially when denying or ignoring the history of external influence that led to these problems.  Multi-generational trauma is a real thing and it can affect whole communities -- my own family and nation struggle with them, too.
THIS.

To say or imply that violence experienced by one race at the hands of another is is the victims' responsibility is not only a racist statement in itself, but it is also a form of victim-blaming. 

Please advise who is doing the implying.
Where is there a suggestion of 'victim-blaming'?
Speculation doesn't make it so.
Please stick to the topic after clarification.

Fnord wrote:
Just as there are at least two side to every conflict, so too are there at least two sides every act of racism -- the victim's and the racist's, at least -- but they are all involved.

Interesting, but what about the internal problems that Jacinta is talking about?

Fnord wrote:
It is not only the responsibility of the indigenous peoples; it is also the fault of the larger society in which those indigenous peoples reside.

If I understand Jacinta's position, male dominance in the Aboriginal community has nothing to do with European colonisation.
From what I see, your position is moot.

Fnord wrote:
So while America's social environment may do little to stop violence against and within its various racial cultures, so too does Australia's social environment fail to prevent violence against its own indigenous peoples and within those indigenous cultures.

What Jacinta is saying is that there is a culture of silencing Aboriginal women from speaking out due to internal male-dominated cultural attitudes.
Your argument doesn't apply, here.

Fnord wrote:
Australians can no longer pretend to be "perfect" or even better than Americans in this regard.

Another example of misrepresentation.
I have never come across an Australian who says that we are "Perfect".

My benchmark, in part, is the degree of racial violence.
We have nothing which is comparable to what is seen in America.
Could we get back on topic, please.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2021, 5:31 pm

Off Topic
cyberdad wrote:
Andrew Bolt has a vendetta against the ABC after he was successfully sued by the courts under the racial discrimination act.

BTW Bolt isn't a friend of autistic people so I am not sure why you keep listening to him Pepe?

Ad hominem attack on Andrew Bolt noticed.
I think it more important to study the argument rather than focusing on character assassination.

I do have a mind of my own, btw.

N.B. This thread is not about Andrew Bolt.
It is about Jacinta Price's views.
Please stay on topic.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2021, 6:24 pm

It seems her views incorporate modern civilization towards women in general just my own humble opinion

where ever you go ,there you are

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2021, 6:36 pm

Jakki wrote:
It seems her views incorporate modern civilization towards women in general just my own humble opinion

Do you agree with Jacinta than Aboriginal women are silenced in speaking up about 'Violence In Indigenous Communities'?

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2021, 6:59 pm

Pepe wrote:
Jakki wrote:

Do you agree with Jacinta than Aboriginal women are silenced in speaking up about 'Violence In Indigenous Communities'?

In a almost criminal sort of way .

where ever you go ,there you are

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2021, 7:47 pm

Pepe wrote:
Off Topic
cyberdad wrote:

Ad hominem attack on Andrew Bolt noticed.
I think it more important to study the argument rather than focusing on character assassination.

I do have a mind of my own, btw.

N.B. This thread is not about Andrew Bolt.
It is about Jacinta Price's views.
Please stay on topic.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2021, 6:12 pm

Quote:
Police presence needed to counter Indigenous ‘tribal payback’ traditions: Price
18/04/2021|4min

Remote Indigenous communities need a police presence to reduce residents meting out justice through “tribal payback” traditions, according Deputy Mayor of Alice Springs Jacinta Price.

Ms Price described tribal payback as a violent punishment such as a spearing in the leg or a beating which Indigenous people carry out as a reprimand.

“In some cases if that person isn’t available that they want to provide payback to then they will find the next person who was closely related to that person and inflict that punishment upon them”.

“They shouldn’t be happening,” she told Sky News.

Ms Price also said many remote communities experience some of the highest rates of family violence, domestic violence and sexual assault.

https://www.skynews.com.au/details/_624 ... 20%20share