Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2021, 6:00 pm

What do you think of the video?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2021, 6:08 pm

It would help, certainly, if “minorities” would have access to equal opportunities to succeed, in general.

In the old days, things like alcoholism, teenage pregnancy, etc were endemic in poor communities. It doesn’t matter if they were white, black, indigenous, or whatever.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2021, 6:16 pm

I am a little concerned that she seems to think that feminists are allowing things like teen marriages in Australia, I wonder where she got this idea from and if it underlies something in her beliefs. It was also next to some statements that came off a bit anti-Muslim.

So far I am thinking about how indeed I stand against conservativism.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2021, 6:20 pm

“Teen marriage” was the norm in “western” societies in the 19th century.

The reality is: teens tend to fall in love with each other and want to get married. Most of these marriages don’t last long. Not much to so with “feminists.”

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2021, 6:40 pm

Just astounding , after listening to this vid all the way through . I feel as though my eyes have been opened about Australia . Had only brief blurbs about this kind of behaviour in OZ ... she was very eloquent and precise in her observations and reccomendations . Brought a strange fear for her counterparts as well as fear for her safety.
Is just almost unthinkable that any segment of any culture should have to live under those circumstances .
Especially in the 21 st century . :roll:

where ever you go ,there you are

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2021, 9:41 am

Jakki wrote:
Just astounding , after listening to this vid all the way through . I feel as though my eyes have been opened about Australia . Had only brief blurbs about this kind of behaviour in OZ ... she was very eloquent and precise in her observations and reccomendations . Brought a strange fear for her counterparts as well as fear for her safety.
Is just almost unthinkable that any segment of any culture should have to live under those circumstances .
Especially in the 21 st century . :roll:

Unfortunately, there is a strange reluctance on the part of media here to report on things like this (and so harder for those outside the country to become aware of it)...Whether it is because it is happening so far from the cities where the media is based and so considered unimportant\irrelevent by them, because it is so "commonplace" that it is not "newsworthy", because it doesn't align with what those in the media have been led (or wish) to believe is actually occurring, or for some other reason, I don't know. (These issues aren't solely restricted to the Northern territory, either, occurring across the country (My mother-in-laws partner's "tribe" crosses the Victorian\New South Wales border, and he has discussed similar issues there, for example).

It's interesting to consider, given this is a first-hand account of the culture (40,000 years old, I believe she stated) from a member of it, why so many children in the past may have been removed from their families who were members of it by child welfare officers.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2021, 9:45 am

The video explains a lot about Australia and the people who live there.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2021, 8:57 am

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2021, 9:19 am

Fnord wrote:
The video explains a lot about Australia and the people who live there.

Given the video was a discussion about our indigenous people and problems they face in their traditional communities, that does come across as a rather racist sentiment...

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2021, 7:58 pm

Quote:
The Indigenous leader and Director of Indigenous Research at the Centre for Independent Studies told Ray Hadley she finds recent rhetoric from the left of politics about institutional racism “absurd”.

“People do not want to … admit and recognise that we do accept violence culturally.

“It’s evident that Aboriginal people, we are committing crimes! If we want to lower the rates of black deaths in custody, and incarceration, then we’ve got to stop committing these crimes: it’s fairly simple.”

https://www.2gb.com/jacinta-price-shuts ... cusations/

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2021, 8:04 pm

Quote:
Warren Mundine Complains About Aboriginal Silence, Instead Of Government Inaction On Family Violence
By Michael Brull on October 5, 2016 Aboriginal Affairs

The ‘enduring silence’ on Aboriginal violence isn’t coming from the Aboriginal community, writes Michael Brull.

In an op ed in The Australian on Monday, Warren Mundine wrote about family violence and sexual abuse of children in Aboriginal communities. He recited the familiar – and appalling – statistics showing the disproportionate rate of family violence in Aboriginal communities.

https://newmatilda.com/2016/10/05/warre ... -violence/

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2021, 11:15 pm

Note that the main people complaining here are indigenous women.

IMO white Australian feminists should do what they can to amplify the voices of indigenous women and urge that indigenous voices be heard regarding the nature of the desired interventions and how they should be conducted. (This might vary from one indigenous tribe to another.)

What would NOT be desirable is a bunch of white bureaucrats deciding, on their own, to intervene in ways that might make sense to the white bureaucrats but don't make sense in the context of the indigenous communities. Everyone knows that's not desirable, which might one reason why the powers-that-be are afraid to act (although a more likely reason is that they just don't care). But what should happen is interventions that happen in a culturally sensitive way, which means indigenous people need to be involved in deciding how to do them.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2021, 11:40 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
Note that the main people complaining here are indigenous women.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

07 Feb 2021, 6:28 am

Pepe wrote:
Quote:
Warren Mundine Complains About Aboriginal Silence, Instead Of Government Inaction On Family Violence
By Michael Brull on October 5, 2016 Aboriginal Affairs

The ‘enduring silence’ on Aboriginal violence isn’t coming from the Aboriginal community, writes Michael Brull.

In an op ed in The Australian on Monday, Warren Mundine wrote about family violence and sexual abuse of children in Aboriginal communities. He recited the familiar – and appalling – statistics showing the disproportionate rate of family violence in Aboriginal communities.

https://newmatilda.com/2016/10/05/warre ... -violence/

Again, from a point of view of a traumatized society - you keep silent because you perceive authorities as a threat... and you may be disturbingly often right about it.
Adressing problems like domestic violence needs enormous trust. A belief that you and the authorities are on the same side.
Building such trust is a slow and laborous process. It's a bumpy road even here, with the authorities and the people being of the same ethnicity.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2021, 8:33 am

Indigenous people all over tend to be reserved sorts of people, and really don’t like airing their dirty laundry.

They have lots of pride about their culture. And non-indigenous people strove to break that pride.