The Unspoken Epidemic of Violence in Indigenous Communities

Page 2 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2021, 11:03 am

Bradleigh wrote:
What do you think of the video?

Racism is a really big problem in Australia. Unfortunately, Australia conservatives are not looking for solutions, but just simply exploit these complex issues for a way to bash the left and "feminists." I get tired of people posting ideology from political organizations like the Centre of Independent Studies, especially because their ideology has contributed so much to this.

Violence in aboriginal communities is a serious issue. There was no serious solution presented in this talk. Political and ideological posturing from the left or, in the case, right, has no place in this. The irony is the values the Centre for Independent Studies holds is complicit in the problems facing this community. And the speaker's reference to the American evangelical movement as a positive force is chilling--the combination of the religious right and free market capitalists has been a main driver in the racism and classism in this country. The combination of right wing religious and economic ideology has paralyzed this country.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2021, 2:11 pm

Agrees with Krafties point of veiw, although it is sad that the white authorities do not appear to recognize these facts.

where ever you go ,there you are

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

08 Feb 2021, 2:25 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Indigenous people all over tend to be reserved sorts of people, and really don’t like airing their dirty laundry.

They have lots of pride about their culture. And non-indigenous people strove to break that pride.

Good point.
Pride can be the thing that keeps you alive.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2021, 4:36 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Indigenous people all over tend to be reserved sorts of people, and really don’t like airing their dirty laundry.

They have lots of pride about their culture. And non-indigenous people strove to break that pride.

The indigenous women are being intimidated into silence.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2021, 4:39 am

Jakki wrote:
Agrees with Krafties point of veiw, although it is sad that the white authorities do not appear to recognize these facts.

You are missing to point that Jacinta is making.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2021, 4:43 am

Quote:
Price sues ABC for ‘racist’ defamation

Conservative Indigenous politician Jacinta Price is suing the ABC for defamation over comments by Aboriginal community groups who accused her of spreading ‘racist vitriol’.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2021, 4:45 am

Quote:
WHAT I SENT THE ABC AFTER ITS LATEST DEFAMATION

The ABC has defamed me for the second time in just a week. What's more, it defamed me by broadcasting shocking claims by a Professor of the kind that she's admitted five years ago were false - and for which the ABC had apologised. Here are my letters to the ABC and to the Professor, who last month also subjected a gay man to homophobic slurs.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/blogs/andr ... 121324082c

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2021, 4:50 am

Quote:
'Sick to my stomach': Indigenous activist Jacinta Price slams 'virtue-signalling' Black Lives Matter protesters and says they 'aren't interested' in Aboriginal deaths - unless they are killed by white men

Quote:
Ms Price, a Warlpiri woman and Alice Springs Town Councillor, said more Aboriginal people die outside of police custody than within it, with the majority of Aboriginal people killed and maimed by other Aboriginal people.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australi ... r-BB15cm7O

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

08 Feb 2021, 5:26 am

Pepe wrote:
Quote:
'Sick to my stomach': Indigenous activist Jacinta Price slams 'virtue-signalling' Black Lives Matter protesters and says they 'aren't interested' in Aboriginal deaths - unless they are killed by white men

Quote:
Ms Price, a Warlpiri woman and Alice Springs Town Councillor, said more Aboriginal people die outside of police custody than within it, with the majority of Aboriginal people killed and maimed by other Aboriginal people.

The central point of many stories highlighted by BLM is US police brutality and insufficient response to murdering people for "looking suspicious".
Other countries may have different problems.
Believing US narrative fits other societes is a one-size-fits-all approach that most likely won't work.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2021, 6:06 am

magz wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

The central point of many stories highlighted by BLM is US police brutality and insufficient response to murdering people for "looking suspicious".
Other countries may have different problems.
Believing US narrative fits other societes is a one-size-fits-all approach that most likely won't work.

Yes, that was the point she was making.
She is saying that the Australian activists are exploiting what was happening in America.
Australia doesn't have the degree of racism problems that America has.

In the other thread, someone created a straw man misrepresentation that I said there isn't *any* racism in Australia.
I never said that.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

08 Feb 2021, 8:25 am

Well, my point of view is yet another one: there is no White-Indigenous distinction here, for obvious reasons ;)
The problems of crime, domestic violence, alcoholism and other social issues - and culture of silence, "tell on one what happens at home" - are here and I can see how hard it is to successfully adress them, even without ethnic tensions.

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2021, 4:55 pm

Brictoria wrote:
Fnord wrote:
The video explains a lot about Australia and the people who live there.
Given the video was a discussion about our indigenous people and problems they face in their traditional communities, that does come across as a rather racist sentiment...
To say that the situations described in the video have nothing to do with the non-indigenous people is extremely racist.  Violence does not distinguish between whites and indigenous peoples.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2021, 5:38 pm

Fnord wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
Fnord wrote:
The video explains a lot about Australia and the people who live there.
Given the video was a discussion about our indigenous people and problems they face in their traditional communities, that does come across as a rather racist sentiment...
To say that the situations described in the video have nothing to do with the non-indigenous people is extremely racist.  Violence does not distinguish between whites and indigenous peoples.

Fnord, you have a history of creating straw men arguments.
Presumably, it is unintentional.

If you are saying Brictoria is denying that the plight of the Aboriginal community has been largely the result of white colonisation, please validate your claim.
I think you are misrepresenting Brictoria.

Quote:
Violence does not distinguish between whites and indigenous peoples.

This makes no logical sense to me.
The discussion involves social problems in the Aboriginal community.

Are you denying the experiences of Jacinta Price, an Aboriginal woman?
Are you in a position to understand the situation better than someone who has literally grown up in the Aboriginal culture?
Are you calling Jacinta Price a liar?

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2021, 5:55 pm

Either way this still seems like a crime against women .......cultural differences notwithstanding.

where ever you go ,there you are

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2021, 6:01 pm

I'm going to ask you all exactly once to respond to this topic with sensitivity and care. There are members of this forum who have family members who were molested as children, including myself, and others on this forum who have themselves been molested. No more point scoring nonsense or I'm locking it.