Page 24 of 53 [ 835 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 53  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2021, 1:51 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
ironpony wrote:
Oh okay. What about the new movie Charlies Angel's for example? I hated it because I felt it was too much about 'woke' politics, but was the original 70s show and earlier movies in the early 2000s also political for their times, but I just didn't see it?

The original television show in the 70s was a prime example of a genre called “T&A” shorthand for tits and ass. The story lines as such were only there to fill in the time. The purpose of the show was for guys to stare at the Angles. Posters of the stars especially Farrah Fawcett were on many a teenage boys bedroom walls. So the message was women are basically their bodies. Feminists complained but they were background noise, if that.

But weren't they fighting crime :lol:

I'm pretty sure I gave myself a few tugs as a teenager watching Linda Carter's Wonder Woman.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2021, 2:08 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
ironpony wrote:
Oh okay. What about the new movie Charlies Angel's for example? I hated it because I felt it was too much about 'woke' politics, but was the original 70s show and earlier movies in the early 2000s also political for their times, but I just didn't see it?

The original television show in the 70s was a prime example of a genre called “T&A” shorthand for tits and ass. The story lines as such were only there to fill in the time. The purpose of the show was for guys to stare at the Angles. Posters of the stars especially Farrah Fawcett were on many a teenage boys bedroom walls. So the message was women are basically their bodies. Feminists complained but they were background noise, if that.

The answer to his question is...no...it was not political ...even for its time.

It wasnt even on the level of the later Xena the warrior princess, or Linda Hamilton in Terminator genre in which the audience could have its cake and eat it too ( the feminists could see an empowered woman, and the male chauvinists could see a hawt chick). The Angels were hawt chicks who fought crime but they werent quite Xena yet.

There were police dramas of the seventies and eighties Charlies Angels era that dealt with racial and social issues, but those were usually tough mean streets police dramas. Not sexualized fantasy things.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2021, 2:35 am

Women being on display as nothing but "tits and ass" is still "political," it's just politics that straight men enjoy.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2021, 3:47 am

XFilesGeek wrote:
Women being on display as nothing but "tits and ass" is still "political," it's just politics that straight men enjoy.

Huh?

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2021, 8:58 am

Well I don't think that a female character being sexualized to a certain degree is a bad thing, is it?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2021, 9:16 am

The men are "sexualized," too. There is, definitely, "eye candy" amongst men, too.

And I see nothing wrong with it----even though I'm not the "eye candy" type.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2021, 9:28 am

Well it seems like a double standard. I have a couple of female friends that do not like James Bond because they feel the woman are sexualized, but they like Dirty Dancing, Magic Mike, and 50 Shades of Grey, even though they have sexualized male characters.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2021, 9:32 am

cyberdad wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:

Huh?

Objectifying women is "political."

Presenting women as primarily being sex objects is "political."

It's just that straight men enjoy these "politics," so they don't complain about it.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2021, 9:34 am

ironpony wrote:
Well I don't think that a female character being sexualized to a certain degree is a bad thing, is it?

A lot of people would say yes. I would say hornyness is a part of life so it is going to be part of entertainment in one way or another. In the Charlie’s Angels TV show that was the whole point of the show. In that era actresses usually had the choice of be a masturbation fantasy or be unemployed. That was a bad thing. It has changed but not nearly enough. What has not changed is that gratuitous sex is rampant. Now we are expanding upon that tradition with gratuitous diversity. IMO we have a long way to go before gratuitous diversity get to the level of gratuitous sex.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2021, 9:42 am

But it's just you see sexualized male characters in movies and entertainment too, so I feel that there is a double standard, in that people complain when it's women but have no problem when it's men. So if one is okay and we can live with it, then why not the other?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2021, 9:56 am

Because, throughout history, women were the exploited ones.

Men exploited and abused women based upon their sexual appeal in the past--and, to a certain extent, in the present as well. The reverse wasn't and isn't true.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2021, 10:05 am

Also, because we've learned from people like Harvey Weinstein that those beautiful women were abused, controlled, and exploited by male execs to get their roles. They were treated like chattel, for their dollar value.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2021, 10:56 am

Men trying to be victims, oh puh lease. :roll:

Go read history and you will see how oppressed women were treated and how men had always ruled countries and had ruled over women and how men had the power and they could legally have their wives put in a mental institution for BS reasons like being too sexual, being too emotional, reading too much, etc.

There is a reason why misandry is socially acceptable and not taken seriously and why the double standard exists.

In 3rd world countries, women are still oppressed, can't pick their partners, if they get raped, they either get executed or go to jail. I feel more free in the US and not oppressed.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2021, 2:28 pm

Yes, men can be sexualized, but, historically, while men have been primarily valued for their accomplishments, women have been primarily valued for their sex appeal.

Therefore, seeing female characters being presented as mainly a way to titillate a male audience invokes stronger reactions. It's not rocket science (and, yes, it's ALL politics).

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2021, 2:36 pm

It's interesting how often people seem to think it's not political because I've never perceived it as political.
Or the related logical failing things weren't political before I became politically aware.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2021, 2:39 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
It's interesting how often people seem to think it's not political because I've never perceived it as political.
Or the related logical failing things weren't political before I became politically aware.

Exactly.